Are you overwhelmed by all the types of green tea and blends out there? Our round-up of the best 15 green tea brands will narrow the choices down for you.
Green tea has been a popular drink for a long time because of its numerous health benefits, particularly in Asia, where people have been consuming this beverage for centuries. Its consumption has been increasing worldwide as more people are introduced to its numerous health benefits, so it should come as no surprise that the number of green tea brands has also risen.
Whether you are a long-time green tea drinker or new to this beverage, we’ve scoured the market for the best green tea brands available right now. Understanding that people have different tastes, ranging from mild to bold flavors, this list has a little bit of something for everyone.
- How Do I Choose the Best Green Tea?
- Where Can I Find The Best Green Tea?
- 1. Stash
- 2. Tazo
- 3. Bigelow
- 4. Twinings
- 5. Yogi
- 6. Market Spice
- 7. Ito En
- 8. Organic India
- 9. Teavana
- 10. Celestial
- 11. Rishi
- 12. Davidson’s Tea
- 13. Honest Tea
- 14. Sugimoto Tea
- 15. Vahdam
How Do I Choose the Best Green Tea?
There are a few factors to consider when searching for the best green tea brand.
Quality really is the biggest deal breaker when it comes to selecting the best green tea brand. Always check the reviews before purchasing. While one bad review might have been from an overly picky customer, dozens of bad reviews is a red flag.
Since green tea is a true tea, unless you find a tea blend that has had the caffeine removed, all green teas will contain caffeine in varying amounts. Some people prefer green tea high in caffeine as a replacement for a cup of coffee, but others are switching to tea to cut back on caffeine.
Matcha and green tea powder have the most caffeine since you consume the whole leaf when you drink these teas. Whereas a green tea blend with herbal tea will be on the lower end of the spectrum as most herbal teas are naturally decaf.
The Type Of Green Tea
Green tea is quite a broad term; there are several varieties of green tea, like sencha green tea, matcha green tea, jasmine green tea, and more. So, you might need to do some experimenting before settling on a tea you love.
If you like savory flavors, you’ll enjoy the grassy notes of sencha. Sencha is often compared to leafy greens like kale and spinach. Matcha is for those who prefer drinks with smooth, buttery qualities.
Budget & Value For Money
Green tea, especially matcha, can be quite pricey. So, you will have to consider how much you’re willing to fork out. When it comes to tea, you get what you pay for. So, an extremely cheap green tea will likely taste bitter or burnt.
With that said, you don’t always need to go for the top-shelf teas if green tea isn’t something you’re overly passionate about. Rather, your best option is to look for brands that are the best value for money but still offer quality tea. So, choose brands that give you a decent amount of tea for what you paid.
You need to consider your limitations too. If you don’t own a tea strainer, there’s no point getting loose-leaf. Likewise, you should have a matcha whisk for brewing matcha green tea for the best results. If all you have is a kettle and a mug, then green tea bags are for you.
Where Can I Find The Best Green Tea?
One of the easiest places to purchase green tea is online, such as Amazon. However, many tea lovers prefer to shop locally.
In that case, your local health store will likely have a big selection of green tea and other types of tea. You can also find a good selection of teas in Whole Foods. If one of your local cafés is quite big on their tea, they may also have unique blends for their customers to try at home.
Your local grocery store will also sell green tea, but they are unlikely to have a wide range of products. They typically only stock green tea bags and perhaps a few flavored blends if it’s a bigger chain. So, the best green tea is usually found in health stores or coffee shops.
Stash is a well-established tea brand that offers premium loose-leaf green tea. It’s certified Kosher and is grown and harvested in the traditional Japanese style. The leaves are grown in Stash’s very own green tea garden, so you know this tea is made with care and quality in mind.
The tea brews a beautiful cup of bright golden-green tea that offers a comforting yet refreshing warm beverage. Stash teas are flavorful and vibrant, and this green tea is no departure. For more, read our guide to the best Japanese green tea.
Tazo’s vibrant green tea has bold flavors of spearmint, lemongrass, and lemon verbena that shine through. This tea tastes beautiful when served hot or iced, and adding a dash of sugar or honey elevates it even further.
Tazo boasts that you can have the authentic flavor of green tea grown in a monastery without hiking up a mountain. And they mean it because their teas are available nationally, and the brand was boosted by their former parent company Starbucks. You might also be interested in our round-up of the best green tea alternatives.
Bigelow is a massive tea brand, and its green tea made our list because of its mild flavor, which makes it easy to sip for those just dipping their toes into the green tea experience. Bigelow tea is easy to find in almost any grocery store, making it one of the most accessible brands.
Its classic green tea is simple and uncomplicated. So, if you don’t want that bold green tea flavor but prefer something breezy and light, Bigelow is a great choice. If you love green tea, you might also be interested in our guide on what is EGCG in green tea.
Our list of best green tea brands would not be complete without mentioning the dazzling Jasmine Green Tea made by Twinings tea company. Twinings is a London-based tea brand that opened its doors in 1706 and exemplifies quality yet affordable teas. Their tea perfectly combines the delicate flavor of jasmine flavors and the pure and distinct flavor of green tea leaves.
Yogi offers a range of delicious and unique green teas. Its tea is non-GMO, and they use USDA organic green tea leaves. Yogi tea is made with high-quality fruits and flowers like rose, hibiscus blossom, and passionflower.
The Yogi brand is the best green tea brand because it focuses on dietary needs and mindfulness, so they have decaffeinated and slimming options for those trying to be health-conscious.
6. Market Spice
Market Spice’s Dragonwell is a beautiful gift to green tea lovers who want something bold and a little different. The brand uses green leaves that have been rolled out and pan-fried. The taste brings the classic flavors of green tea but is soothing and mellow, perfect for a cold evening at home.
7. Ito En
Ito En boasts that they are the number one tea brand in Japan, so you know you’ll get an authentic Japanese green tea experience, making it the best green tea brand.
The tea is prepared meticulously and results in a strong brew with vitamin C, antioxidants, catechins, EGCGs, and amino acids. This green tea features all the fantastic flavors and health benefits of traditionally harvested green tea.
8. Organic India
This is one of the most flavorful and authentic organic green teas on the market. The Tulsi green tea is a burst of fresh air.
The brand uses green tea leaves and Tulsi, which is the foundation of Organic India’s tea brand. And the tea is also Fair Trade Certified, so you can feel good about buying it.
Starbucks currently owns this tea brand, so many people are familiar with Teavana. Teavana offers a brilliant green tea that you may not even recognize as green tea.
It’s called their Jade Citrus Mint tea, but it uses the same leaves as green tea and features lemongrass and spearmint flavors. The tea is refreshing but rich, offering tea lovers a lovely but familiar flavor.
- Sold as 24/Box.
- Smooth green tea from China.
- Serving size: 0.07 oz. filterbag.
- Caffeinated (caffeine level is indicated on the box).
- Contains 24 tea bags per box.
Not only does Celestial produce a delicious and light antioxidant-rich green tea, but the brand also has a honey lemon ginseng green tea that brings a new and sweet flavor profile to a classic cup of green tea.
Celestial loves to play around with different flavors and combinations that often result in outstanding flavors in their tea. Celestial’s best green teas have a light citrus sweetness that pairs with the earthy flavor of the tea leaves.
Rishi is your best bet if you’re keen to try sencha green tea. This is a bright tea with sweet and savory notes. It’s quite low in caffeine, so it’s suitable for those sensitive to its effects.
Rishi’s organic tea comes in tea bags, which makes the brewing process much easier, as all you need is hot water and a mug. This tea is also great for those who are environmentally conscious, as the tea bags are biodegradable.
- SENCHA ORGANIC GREEN TASTING NOTES - Traditional Japanese tea with a savory-sweet flavor and bright green infusion
- SAVOR & ENJOY - Brew one Sencha Organic Green Herbal Sachet Bag per 8 oz of water at 160 degrees F for 2 minutes
- GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH - USDA Organic, Non-GMO, Biodegradable BPA Free Sachet Tea Bag, GF/DF
- SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS IS A CONSCIOUS BUSINESS - From the farmers we work with overseas to our manufacturing conditions at home, we are steadfast in following our code of ethics. A conscious business is one that pays attention to both the raw materials and the human effort, recognizing it is the sum of these resources that creates a sustainable and resilient business
- OUR PROMISE TO YOU - Rishi is dedicated to sourcing only the highest quality products and your experience is important to us. If you feel the quality of our products is less than expected, please contact our customer service within 30 days of your order date
12. Davidson’s Tea
Davidson’s Tea is perfect for those who prefer loose-leaf tea. Loose-leaf teas might take more effort to brew, but they produce a more robust, deep flavor than tea bags. Plus, loose-leaf teas allow you to customize your brew by adding more or less tea or blending with other ingredients like black tea or spices.
Davidson’s gunpowder green tea is organic and Kosher-friendly. It also lacks the bitterness that other green tea blends have, which is why it’s a fan favorite.
- LEAF TO CUP: From our farms in India to your family, Davidson’s Organics is a vertically integrated provider of premium teas at affordable prices. We grow, import, blend, package, and sell - overseeing the entire journey of our tea from the cuttings to your cup.
- ALWAYS ORGANIC: Davidson’s Organics is a 3rd generation organic tea grower delivering on its promise of providing top-notch USDA certified organic teas. Our teas are grown non-GMO & free from harmful chemicals and pesticides. We are responsibly sourced and sustainably farmed. We believe in the holistic health of our farms, farmers, plants & animals.
- A CUP OF WELLNESS: Davidson’s offers a diverse selection of teas from our farms around the world. From loose leaves to bags & bulk, and from ayurvedic to herbal, our organic teas deliver the perfect pick me up or a restful respite. Enjoy our balanced blends for sleep support, stress relief, enhanced focus, better digestion, increased immunity & more.
- TRUST OUR TEA: Davidson's Organics was the first purveyor of fine organic teas. Since 1976 we’ve delivered a range of high quality organic teas with fabulous flavors at fair prices.
- WORLD CLASS: We offer world-class customer service and a money back guarantee. You’ll love our tea or it’s free.
13. Honest Tea
Honest Tea is great for those who like cold drinks such as iced tea. Their organic green tea can be purchased in convenient bottles. While many pre-made teas have nasty side effects due to the presence of artificial flavors or sweeteners, this tea is free from high fructose corn syrup, allowing you to enjoy the natural flavors green tea has to offer.
- Delicious, organic real-brewed tea
- Tea leaves are Fair Trade Certified
- All drinks are USDA Organic
- This organic green tea drink ships as a pack of 8, 59-fluid ounce bottles.
- Founded in 1998 in Bethesda, MD, Honest Tea is the Nation's top-selling organic bottled tea company, specializing in beverages that are just a tad sweet
14. Sugimoto Tea
Sugimoto Tea offers a smooth ceremonial-grade matcha tea with light seaweed-like notes. The best matcha tea is ceremonial grade, which is made from young tea leaves.
Although green tea originated in China, matcha is a Japanese drink. In Japan, this high-quality tea has been used in traditional tea ceremonies for centuries, but these days, you can enjoy a cup at home.
Matcha is regarded as one of the healthiest drinks in the world, as consuming the tea powder means you’re exposed to more antioxidants, theanine, and polyphenols. Tea drinking has been associated with weight loss and reduced risk of heart disease and other ailments, which is why health-conscious tea drinkers love matcha.
Sugimoto tea is organic and comes in powdered forms, so you can make hot tea, a matcha latte, or add it to baked goods.
- ceremonial matcha is made from the most tender, hand-picked young leaves of the saemidori cultivar, enjoy the savory flavor and a sweeter aroma
- no preservatives
- no artificial colors
- rich in antioxidants
- product of shizuoka, japan
Vahdam offers a wide range of tea, including green tea. With one of the best reputations in the business, you can be sure Vahdam won’t let you down.
The organic Himalayan green tea has the vegetal flavor green tea is known and loved for. This is a high-grown tea, which means the conditions it was grown in allowed the leaves to develop a light flavor with a touch of sweetness. It was hand-picked with care, so only the best leaves were chosen.
Vahdam also has fun blends like green tea and mint or chamomile mint citrus green tea for those who fancy a change. This brand is a great choice for those trying to lead greener lives as it is carbon-neutral and plastic-neutral.
- 100% NATURAL & GREEN TEA LEAVES -From the misty slopes of the Himalayas, these pure green teas are smooth, sweet and succulent long leaf green tea rich with natural Hand-plucked & produced in high elevation tea plantations in the Himalayas that offers a light and clean cup, with nice briskness and a sweet mouthfeel, complemented by prominent floral hues of wild mountain orchids and subtle tint of jasmine, We recommend 3 servings per day of this nutritious tea.
- 100 FULL-LEAF PYRAMID TEA BAGS - Gone are the days of paper tea bags that tear up in the brew. 1 pouch of Himalayan Green Tea contains 100 sturdy pyramid-shaped tea bags for a fresher, flavorful brew. Preparation: 1 tea bag | 200 ml hot water | 3 - 5 mins
- A BRAND WITH A BILLION DREAMS - VAHDAM India is one of India's largest digitally native, global wellness brands, shipping to over 3 million customers across 130+ countries. Founder & CEO, Bala Sarda's vision to take India's finest teas, superfoods, brew ware, spices, and herbs to consumers across the world under a home-grown, sustainable label, led to what is now a successful 7-year-old business with a strong commitment to people and planet.
- ETHICAL, DIRECT & FAIR-TRADE? - Our innovative supply chain model ensures you get the freshest cup of tea and our farmers get a better price for their produce. 1% of our revenue is redirected towards the education of our tea growers' children. Our farmers, like any other parent, wish for their progeny to have a better life than their's. We at Vahdam Teas with our social initiative, TEAch Me, simply wish to honor this aspiration?.
- WE CARE FOR PEOPLE & PLANET - We are now a proudly Carbon-Neutral & a Plastic-Neutral brand. We measure our overall carbon & plastic footprint & offset it via our investments in environment sustainability initiatives in India.