What's the best coffee for Moka pot? We explore your options.
To get the best results, you have to use the right kind of coffee and to do that, you have to understand a little bit about how a Moka pot works. Here’s a quick breakdown for any coffee drinkers interested in this coffee brewing method.
A Moka pot is a coffee maker with three chambers. The bottom chamber holds water, the center chamber holds the grounds and a funnel, and the top chamber collects the brewed coffee. As the hot water boils, it is forced into the funnel, through the grounds, and into the top chamber.
Moka is similar to espresso in that it uses pressure, but it’s not quite the same. A stovetop espresso maker uses about 10 bars of pressure, while coffee brewing with a Moka coffee pot only uses about two bars.
- Choosing the Best Coffee for Moka Pot
- 8 Choices for the Best Moka Coffee
- The Final Word on the Best Coffee for A Moka Pot
- Moka Pot Guides
Choosing the Best Coffee for Moka Pot
Whether you’re making Mokacoffee, drip coffee, or espresso, the end result is only as good as the coffee you use. Good beans or grounds are more likely to give you the best cup of coffee. Each brewing method works best with a different type of coffee bean.
Many complaints about the bitterness and other flaws that can come up in moka pot brewing are born out of either choosing the wrong coffee or brewing the wrong way–choosing an incorrect grind or using too intense heat most often. So when you’re considering what coffee to buy for your Moka pot, keep in mind that it has traits both in common with and different from espresso.
When it comes to roasts, it’s a good idea to err on the side of espresso-like than to try and go for something you’d want for automatic drip or percolator rigs. The best roasts for espresso tend to be on the dark side of medium, which is also the best option for the Moka pot. I also prefer blends and single-origin beans with lower acidity since the intense flavor created with Moka pot brewing can give high acidity brews a sour taste.
Moka pots are sometimes called stovetop espresso makers, and they brew a similar style drink. So, it makes sense that you need a similar type of medium or dark roast. These roasts produce a richer flavor that goes well with this type of brewing, creating coffee with low acidity and a creamy feel. Light roasts tend to be more acidic and flavor extraction is often uneven, so they’re not the best choice for Moka coffee.
The best grind for Moka coffee is medium to medium-fine, finer than what you would usually use for drip coffee, although not as fine as what you need for espresso. Moka pots are a little forgiving when it comes to the grind, so if you get it a little too coarse or a little too fine, you should still get a good cup of coffee out of it.
That said, if you want the absolute best cup of Moka, grinding your own beans is the way to go. This gives you complete control over how coarse they are, making sure you get a brew that’s just right.
While you can certainly use coffee from any origin to make Moka coffee, it's worth remembering that the Moka pot originated in Italy, so Italian brands are usually a good choice since they’ve had plenty of experience with Moka-style brewing over the years.
8 Choices for the Best Moka Coffee
If you’re still not sure what coffee goes best with your Moka pot, here are five delicious options to consider.
The Classico medium roast from illy is pre-ground for Moka pots to get optimal flavor extraction. It comes packed in a pressurized, air-free can that helps seal in the flavor and enhances the oils and aromas so you enjoy the best possible after opening.
This blend is composed of nine types of Arabica beans sourced from around the world, expertly roasted to produce a balanced taste that you’ll love. Illy is one of the most ethical coffee companies in the world, providing hands-on instruction to their growers and using a direct-trade model to grow long-lasting relationships. So, this coffee not only tastes good, it does good, too.
- 4 8-ounce cans of Lavazza caffe espresso Italian ground coffee
- Rich-bodied dark roast with delicious, fragrant flavor and aromatic notes
- Non-GMO, 100% Arabica
- Blended and roasted in Italy
- Best used for espresso but also suitable in any coffee maker
Lavazza has been creating delicious coffee roasts for over 120 years, so it’s no surprise this Italiano ground coffee blend is such a good choice for Moka. This 100 percent Arabica blend is sourced from Central and South America, then long-roasted for rich, smooth flavor and body with notes of fruit and flowers. Lavazza has been family-owned for four generations and is considered a global authentic Italian brand.
- Four 8.8 ounce cans of Lavazza Qualita Oro Italian ground coffee
- Full bodied medium roast with sweet, aromatic flavor
- Non GMO
- Blended and roasted in Italy
- Best used for espresso but also suitable in any coffee maker
Another great option from Lavazza that’s suitable for Moka coffee is the Qualita Oro ground coffee blend. It’s made from a unique combination of six types of Arabica beans that delivers a rich but refined flavor with notes of flowers and fruit that’s great at any time of day.
- WORLDS STRONGEST COFFEE: Our coffee grinds will transform your basic cup of joe into a delicious, bold, and dark coffee that will revolutionize your morning.
- QUALITY BREW: Hands down, the best ground coffee in the world. One sip of Death Wish dark roast coffee will have you saying goodbye to store-bought forever. Enjoy high quality energy and artisanal flavor with every sip.
- BOLD FLAVOR: Immerse yourself in a smooth, subtle, never-bitter cherry and chocolate flavor profile. We've carefully selected and expertly ground premium Arabica and Robusta coffee beans from around the world to deliver you a dark roast ground coffee beverage with a bold taste you’ll instantly fall in love with.
- FAIR AND ORGANIC: Every 16 oz. bag is bursting with Fair Trade, USDA Certified Organic ground coffee, giving you a natural caffeine boost you can be proud to support. Organic Coffee. Strong Coffee. Death Wish Coffee.
- TRY IT RISK-FREE: Death Wish Coffee comes highly rated by thousands of satisfied customers who can't get enough of our high caffeine coffee. But we'll let you be the judge. If you don't love our dark roast ground coffee, we'll refund your order, no questions asked.
Do you like strong coffee? How about the strongest coffee in the world? Death Wish Coffee is a medium ground dark roast that gives you a bold, intense flavor that you won’t soon forget with hints of cherry and chocolate.
You can use medium to medium-fine grinds for Moka coffee, so this mix of Arabica and Robusta beans will work, just keep in mind that it has a really strong taste that will be even stronger if used with a Moka pot than it will when used to make drip coffee. If you don’t like it, they offer a satisfaction guarantee and will refund your money, no questions asked.
- FINE GROUND FOR MOKA COFFEE: just like in Italy. This coffee has smooth, full body with chocolate, vanilla and nutty notes.
- 100% ARABICA MEDIUM ROAST: since 1998 we have been searching for a perfect medium roast for a true Italian Espresso. Now we roast coffee in our family-owned roastery in Europe (Republic of Georgia) and sell worldwide. We use these beans in our local coffee bar in Beverly Hills, California.
- NON GMO & 100% ARABICA BLEND: we source premium beans from the most reliable farms.
- AWARD-WINNING PREMIUM PACKAGING: we use premium Italian machinery and packaging materials for all our coffee products. Our bags are vacuum sealed to keep aroma fresh (you will smell it instantly once you open it). Our custom artwork is inspired by worldwide coffee cultures.
- RECOMMENDED USE: we recommend brewing with an Italian stainless steel Moka stove top coffee maker. After opening the bag, keep coffee in airtight container in the room and use within 2 weeks for the freshest aroma.
If you like your Moka coffee made with fine grounds, check out this blend from Mondo. It’s made of 100 percent Arabica beans and makes a medium, full-bodied taste with notes of nuts, chocolate, and vanilla. The bags are vacuum-sealed to keep the coffee fresh, and the aroma that greets you when you open the bag will make your mouth water.
6. Great Basin Coffee Company Lone Peak Espresso
This medium-dark roast coffee includes both robusta and arabica beans, like many Italian espresso blends, which results in a creamy finish and a strong, sharp flavor. Lone Peak has notes of chocolate and raspberry, with a delicate nuttiness that rounds everything out. It’s a bold coffee, but one that suits the Moka pot beautifully.
- MEDIUM DARK ROAST, BOLD MOUTHFEEL - Our roasted whole bean coffee is made with specialty grade arabica gourmet coffee beans from Columbia, Brazil, and India for a complete, well-balanced flavor profile with a smooth finish. Each flavor is carefully crafted for a unique drinking experience.
- PREMIUM AMERICAN OWNED SMALL BATCH COFFEE - We roast our whole coffee beans right here in the US in small batches and ship to Amazon weekly to ensure the freshest and tastiest coffee possible. You'll be surprised by how fresh it tastes and smells.
- WORKS WITH ALL COFFEE BREWERS - Our medium roast whole bean coffee is suitable for any good coffee machine: French press, espresso maker, drip machines, pour over, cold brew, Aeropress, and moka pot. We offer bulk sizes to help at home or the office.
- FLAVOR AND BREWING - With flavor notes of dark chocolate, raspberry, nut, and a medium body, you’ll find this coffee to be a perfect daily drinker. We have the perfect blends for every kind of coffee lover, our blends come in light roasts, medium roasts, and dark roasts.
- GREAT BASIN COFFEE COMPANY - Enjoy the flavor and quality of your roasted coffee beans from a company who cares. Share Great Coffee, Save the World. Great coffee starts with passionate and sustainable farming, exceptional processing techniques, and mindfulness through supply chain. Take Action. Be Deliberate. Seek Balance. Grow.
7. Peet's Major Dickason Blend
A little darker than the Lone Peak, this blend incorporates beans from around the world, creating a fusion of flavors named after a particularly discerning customer. The roasting process gives it a smooth, rich flavor that avoids bitterness and a full-bodied texture that goes very well with the Moka pot brewing method. It’s an excellent option if you want to use your Moka pot coffee to build milky drinks like lattes and cappuccinos.
8. Aromistico Roma Blend
An Italian brewing method welcomes an Italian coffee blend, and Aromistico’s Roma Blend is a classic. This medium-roast coffee has a slightly lighter profile and body than the others and is full of mellow, nutty flavor cut through with a pleasant sharpness. It’s also lower in acidity compared to some other roasts of its type, which means you’ll get the fullness of flavor without a sour taste from your Moka pot.
- Deliciously Mellow and Nutty - Savor the unique union of mellow, sharp, smooth, and nutty flavors. This Roma coffee bean blend is a fragrant coffee beverage that offers a dense flavor in every sip.
- Premium Blend of Quality Beans - To balance flavors, our Roma gourmet coffee is made with a delicate combination of Arabica and Robusta beans. This medium-roasted coffee blend boasts of a decadent aftertaste and a medley of varying notes and strengths.
- Crafted by Italian Coffee Artisans - Each coffee set is made with utmost care. Our whole coffee beans are hand-roasted in small batches in Lake Garda, Italy to achieve high-quality flavored coffee.
- Packaged in a Nifty Resealable Bag - Keep the freshness and wholesome goodness of our fresh roasted coffee in its bag with a tight lock seal and valve. This ensures that your specialty coffee lasts for longer and doesn’t go stale.
- Environmentally Responsible - For every 10kg of Aromistico coffee bag you purchase, we pledge to plant 1 coffee tree in cooperation with the Tree-Nation. Beyond striving to deliver you the best coffee, we also commit to sustainability.
The Final Word on the Best Coffee for A Moka Pot
Making the perfect Moka coffee depends on a few things, but one of the most important is starting with the right coffee grounds. Even if you get the brewing technique just right, low-quality coffee will never be as delicious as high-quality coffee that’s meant for Moka pots.
You can use any medium to medium-fine roast to make Moka coffee, though dark roasts tend to taste better because they work best with the low pressure produced by Moka pots.
Of course, if you like a light roast or blond roast, give it a try! The main thing is that you like the final result, so try a few roasts until you settle on one that really works for you.