What's the best coffee for Moka pot? We explore your options.
To get the best results, you have to use the right kind of coffee, and to do that, you have to understand a little bit about how a Moka pot works. Here’s a quick breakdown for any coffee drinkers interested in this coffee brewing method.
A Moka pot is a coffee maker with three chambers. The bottom chamber holds water, the center chamber holds the grounds and a funnel, and the top chamber collects the brewed coffee. As the hot water boils, it is forced into the funnel, through the grounds, and into the top chamber.
Moka is similar to espresso in that it uses pressure, but it’s not quite the same. A stovetop espresso maker uses about 10 bars of pressure, while coffee brewing with a Moka coffee pot only uses about two bars.
- Choosing the Best Coffee for Moka Pot
- 8 Choices for the Best Moka Coffee
- The Final Word on the Best Coffee For A Moka Pot
- Moka Pot Guides
Choosing the Best Coffee for Moka Pot
Whether you’re making Mokacoffee, drip coffee, or espresso, the end result is only as good as the coffee you use. Good beans or grounds are more likely to give you the best cup of coffee. Each brewing method works best with a different type of coffee bean.
Many complaints about the bitterness and other flaws that can come up in Moka pot brewing are born out of either choosing the wrong coffee or brewing the wrong way–choosing an incorrect grind or using too intense heat most often. So when considering what coffee to buy for your Moka pot, remember that it has traits both in common with and different from espresso.
When it comes to roasts, it’s a good idea to err on the espresso-like side rather than go for something you’d want for automatic drip or percolator rigs. The best roasts for espresso tend to be on the dark side of medium, which is also the best option for the Moka pot.
I also prefer blends and single-origin beans with lower acidity since the intense flavor created with Moka pot brewing can give high acidity brews a sour taste.
Moka pots are sometimes called stovetop espresso makers, and they brew a similar style of drink. So, it makes sense that you need a similar type of medium or dark roast. These roasts produce a richer flavor that goes well with this type of brewing, creating coffee with low acidity and a creamy feel. Light roasts tend to be more acidic, and flavor extraction is often uneven, so they’re not the best choice for Moka coffee.
The best grind for Moka coffee is medium to medium-fine, finer than what you would usually use for drip coffee, although not as fine as what you need for espresso. Moka pots are a little forgiving when it comes to the grind, so if you get it a little too coarse or a little too fine, you should still get a good cup of coffee out of it.
That said, if you want the absolute best cup of Moka, grinding your own beans is the way to go. This gives you complete control over how coarse they are, making sure you get a brew that’s just right.
While you can certainly use coffee from any origin to make Moka coffee, it's worth remembering that the Moka pot originated in Italy, so Italian brands are usually a good choice since they’ve had plenty of experience with Moka-style brewing over the years.
8 Choices for the Best Moka Coffee
If you’re still not sure what coffee goes best with your Moka pot, here are five delicious options to consider.
1. illy Coffee Classico Medium Roast, Moka Ground
The Classico medium roast from illy is pre-ground for Moka pots to get optimal flavor extraction. It comes packed in a pressurized, air-free can that helps seal in the flavor and enhances the oils and aromas so you enjoy the best possible after opening.
This blend is composed of nine types of Arabica beans sourced from around the world, expertly roasted to produce a balanced taste that you’ll love. Illy is one of the most ethical coffee companies in the world, providing hands-on instruction to their growers and using a direct-trade model to grow long-lasting relationships. So, this coffee not only tastes good, it does good, too.
- 8.8oz can
- Richly aromatic
- Well-defined body
2. Lavazza Espresso Italiano Ground Coffee Blend
Lavazza has been creating delicious coffee roasts for over 120 years, so it’s no surprise that this Italiano ground coffee blend is a good choice for Moka. This 100 percent Arabica blend is sourced from Central and South America, then long-roasted for rich, smooth flavor and body with notes of fruit and flowers. Lavazza has been family-owned for four generations and is considered a global, authentic Italian brand.
- 4 8-ounce cans of Lavazza caffe espresso Italian ground coffee
- Rich-bodied dark roast with delicious, fragrant flavor and aromatic notes
- Non-GMO, 100% Arabica
- Blended and roasted in Italy
- Best used for espresso but also suitable in any coffee maker
3. Lavazza Qualita Oro Ground Coffee Blend
Another great option from Lavazza that’s suitable for Moka coffee is the Qualita Oro ground coffee blend. It’s made from a unique combination of six types of Arabica beans that delivers a rich but refined flavor with notes of flowers and fruit that’s great at any time of day.
- Four 8.8 ounce cans of Lavazza Qualita Oro Italian ground coffee
- Full bodied medium roast with sweet, aromatic flavor
- Non GMO
- Blended and roasted in Italy
- Best used for espresso but also suitable in any coffee maker
4. Death Wish Coffee Dark Roast
Do you like strong coffee? How about the strongest coffee in the world? Death Wish Coffee is a medium ground dark roast that gives you a bold, intense flavor that you won’t soon forget, with hints of cherry and chocolate.
You can use medium to medium-fine grinds for Moka coffee, so this mix of Arabica and Robusta beans will work; just keep in mind that it has a really strong taste that will be even stronger if used with a Moka pot than it will when used to make drip coffee. They offer a satisfaction guarantee if you don’t like it and will refund your money, no questions asked.
- DAY STARTER GROUND COFFEE: Get a pound of power & energy every morning with our dark roast coffee ground. This dark coffee is made of robust bold flavors. Wake up your senses with our dark coffee ground that's rich, intense, black and bold coffee.
- QUALITY BREW COFFEE GROUNDS DARK: Transform your basic cup into an intense & delicious coffee. One sip of this best coffee will make you say yes to more of our coffee grinds. Choose premium artisanal coffee ground dark roast & feel alive every day!
- STRONG COFFEE GROUND: Enjoy the best ground coffee you'll ever taste! Made with premium arabica & robusta beans that are roasted to perfection. Every ground dark roast coffee is bold with notes of dark chocolate & black cherry.
- SMOOTH DARK GROUND COFFEE: Brew our best coffees made with a slow batch roasting process. This coffee ground bold is low in acid. It feels like a gourmet ground coffee that's fresh without bitter or burnt notes. Great coffee for sensitive stomach!
- TRY IT RISK-FREE: The Death Wish Promise is that our organic ground coffee comes highly rated by thousands of satisfied customers who simply can't get enough but we'll let you be the judge. If you don't fall in love with our coffee, we'll refund your order- no questions asked. We're confident ours will be the best coffee you'll ever try.
5. Mondo Moka Ground Coffee
If you like your Moka coffee made with fine grounds, check out this blend from Mondo. It’s made of 100 percent Arabica beans and makes a medium, full-bodied taste with notes of nuts, chocolate, and vanilla. The bags are vacuum-sealed to keep the coffee fresh, and the aroma that greets you when you open the bag will make your mouth water.
- FINE GROUND FOR MOKA COFFEE: just like in Italy. This coffee has smooth, full body with chocolate, vanilla and nutty notes.
- 100% ARABICA MEDIUM ROAST: since 1998 we have been searching for a perfect medium roast for a true Italian Espresso. Now we roast coffee in our family-owned roastery in Europe (Republic of Georgia) and sell worldwide. We use these beans in our local coffee bar in Beverly Hills, California.
- NON GMO & 100% ARABICA BLEND: we source premium beans from the most reliable farms.
- AWARD-WINNING PREMIUM PACKAGING: we use premium Italian machinery and packaging materials for all our coffee products. Our bags are vacuum sealed to keep aroma fresh (you will smell it instantly once you open it). Our custom artwork is inspired by worldwide coffee cultures.
- RECOMMENDED USE: we recommend brewing with an Italian stainless steel Moka stove top coffee maker. After opening the bag, keep coffee in airtight container in the room and use within 2 weeks for the freshest aroma.
6. Great Basin Coffee Company Lone Peak Espresso
This medium-dark roast coffee includes robusta and arabica beans, like many Italian espresso blends, resulting in a creamy finish and a strong, sharp flavor. Lone Peak has notes of chocolate and raspberry, with a delicate nuttiness that rounds everything out. It’s a bold coffee, but one that suits the Moka pot beautifully.
- MEDIUM DARK ROAST, BOLD MOUTHFEEL - Our roasted whole bean coffee is made with specialty grade arabica gourmet coffee beans from Columbia, Brazil, and India for a complete, well-balanced flavor profile with a smooth finish. Each flavor is carefully crafted for a unique drinking experience.
- PREMIUM AMERICAN OWNED SMALL BATCH COFFEE - We roast our whole coffee beans right here in the US in small batches and ship to Amazon weekly to ensure the freshest and tastiest coffee possible. You'll be surprised by how fresh it tastes and smells.
- WORKS WITH ALL COFFEE BREWERS - Our medium roast whole bean coffee is suitable for any good coffee machine: French press, espresso maker, drip machines, pour over, cold brew, Aeropress, and moka pot. We offer bulk sizes to help at home or the office.
- FLAVOR AND BREWING - With flavor notes of dark chocolate, raspberry, nut, and a medium body, you’ll find this coffee to be a perfect daily drinker. We have the perfect blends for every kind of coffee lover, our blends come in light roasts, medium roasts, and dark roasts.
- GREAT BASIN COFFEE COMPANY - Enjoy the flavor and quality of your roasted coffee beans from a company who cares. Share Great Coffee, Save the World. Great coffee starts with passionate and sustainable farming, exceptional processing techniques, and mindfulness through supply chain. Take Action. Be Deliberate. Seek Balance. Grow.
7. Peet's Major Dickason Blend
A little darker than the Lone Peak, this blend incorporates beans from around the world, creating a fusion of flavors named after a particularly discerning customer. The roasting process gives it a smooth, rich flavor that avoids bitterness and a full-bodied texture that goes very well with the Moka pot brewing method. It’s an excellent option if you want to use your Moka pot coffee to build milky drinks like lattes and cappuccinos.
- Contains one (1) 18 Ounce Bag of Peet's Major Dickason's Blend Ground 100% Arabica Coffee. Packaging may vary for a limited time.
- Flavor and Roast: Dark Roast. Flavorful, robust, full-bodied. Developed by Mr. Peet and his most discerning customer, Major Dickason‚Äôs Blend epitomizes the rich, flavorful taste of Peet‚Äôs
- Brewing Methods: Our ground coffee is perfectly suited to make drip or a pour over in your Chemex. For other brewing methods - espresso, cold brew, or French press - consider our whole bean coffees and griding at home
- Sourcing With Impact: The coffee you buy can impact the welfare of the people and planet. Peet‚Äôs is actively engaged in driving positive impact in communities where our coffees are grown
- Freshness You Can Fact Check: Freshly roasted coffee means a more flavorful cup. We print the roast date on each and every bag for maximal transparency, and ensure you receive it within 90 days for the optimal experience
8. Aromistico Roma Blend
An Italian brewing method welcomes an Italian coffee blend, and Aromistico’s Roma Blend is a classic. This medium-roast coffee has a slightly lighter profile and body than the others and is full of mellow, nutty flavor cut through with a pleasant sharpness. It’s also lower in acidity compared to some other roasts of its type, which means you’ll get the fullness of flavor without a sour taste from your Moka pot.
- 🌰 FLAVOUR - A smooth medium/dark roast with dark, mellow, sharp and nut-like notes. This blend is 3/5 strength. Look forward to the mornings with our smooth, aromatic blend. A sophisticated, full-bodied coffee with a hint of hazelnut that’s perfect for drinking at any time of day. This blend has a long lasting aftertaste and will leave all you home baristas wanting more. Also available in Ground and 1kg Beans.
- 🌍 ORIGIN - A blend from the green mountains of El Salvador and Guatemala. Using carefully balanced and crafted combinations of quality arabica and robusta beans, sourced from all around the globe, we have developed a range of distinct blends. Ranging from light roast to dark roast, and everything in between, they all differ in strength and distinguishing flavour notes, but finish with our signature recurring aftertaste.
- 🇮🇹 FAMILY RUN ROASTERY IN ITALY - Our gourmet, artisan coffee is hand roasted in small batches in Lake Garda, Northern Italy by the Pelliconi family. Our independent, family run business is passionate about creating high quality coffee, full of aroma. We strive to provide you with the true Italian coffee experience, bringing you a slice of Italy to your home. To ensure you receive fresh coffee, we roast, grind and ship in small batches. Our coffee is not stocked in supermarkets.
- ☕ METHOD - Grind in your coffee grinder and brew using any method; espresso, cafetiere / french press, moka pot, filter, percolator, chemex, pour over, drip, aeropress or bean-to-cup coffee machine. Our coffee comes in a resealable bag with a valve to ensure it stays fresh. Find the perfect coffee gift for friends & family who need high-quality, Italian coffee everyday. Check out our coffee gift sets, the ideal present for coffee lovers. You can gift wrap any Aromistico item at check-out.
- 🌱 SAVING OUR PLANET - Every purchase of Aromistico goes towards planting coffee trees in the Usambara Biodiversity Conservation in Tanzania, helping offset our CO2 emissions. Planting trees has proven to be one of the most efficient solutions to fight Climate Change. Our project supports the community of coffee growers, allowing them to grow more coffee trees and boost their local economy. For every 10kg of Aromistico Coffee sold, we plant 1 coffee tree.
The Final Word on the Best Coffee For A Moka Pot
Making the perfect Moka coffee depends on a few things, but one of the most important is starting with the right coffee grounds. Even if you get the brewing technique just right, low-quality coffee will never be as delicious as high-quality coffee that’s meant for Moka pots.
You can use any medium to medium-fine roast to make Moka coffee, though dark roasts taste better because they work best with the low-pressure Moka pots produced.
Of course, give it a try if you like a light roast or blond roast! The main thing is that you like the final result, so try a few roasts until you settle on one that really works for you.