Coffee grinders can make or break your Java. In this buying guide, I will share important tips and information to help you make an informed decision.
Are you looking for the best coffee grinder? The entire coffee experience starts from grinding the organic coffee beans so it doesn’t take a scientist to understand the importance of a grinder. You have two options when buying a grinder – you may either waste thousands of dollars trying to figure out the secret or buy the best grinder out there!
This post will take you through the various factors you need to consider before buying the best coffee grinders and the top 5 grinders with their features, pros, and cons. For years, I worked around with the best gear and finest quality beans until realized that the average grinder ruined the flavor of my coffee.
To save time, money, and your precious beans, I recommend using the Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder(available on Amazon), which guarantees that you have perfect grinds every single time! This compactly designed grinder consumes less space and the one-touch operation takes the hassle out of grinding.
- One-touch Operation, Fast and Efficient. Compact Modern Design with Safety Lock.
- Durable Stainless Steel Blades.
- 2.5 oz (70gm) Capacity. Yields up to 7 cups of Coffee.
- Grippable Surface, Transparent lid and Built-In Power Cord Storage.
- Ideal for Coffee Beans, Nuts, Herbs, Grains and Spices.
If you are the kind who prefers the traditional way of grinding manually, my personal recommendation would be JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder (available on Amazon) that can intoxicate your senses with the fresh aroma of coffee beans.
- Built-in Adjustable Grind Selector The Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse Coffee Company is equipped with over 18 manual grind settings to ensure you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your grind; great for all coffee brewing methods for that perfect cup of freshly ground coffee to start your day.
- Convenient, Portable & Easy to Use Convenient hand crank mechanism eliminates over 90% of the noise that an electric coffee bean grinder would produce; unlike electric burr grinders for coffee beans, JavaPresse hand coffee grinder requires no batteries, power, or long plastic cords to operate allowing you to enjoy fresh ground coffee beans at home or on the go; perfect for your next camping, hiking, or backpacking trip.
- A Freshly Ground Cup of Coffee to Start Your Day JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinders are equipped with a professional grade ceramic conical burr to heighten flavors of the most exquisite coffees in the world; providing an incredibly consistent grind for a variety of brews while making as little noise as possible; smell the fresh aroma of freshly ground coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine, Aeropress, French Press or Pour Over Coffee Maker. Ground, Brew, and Enjoy!
- Quality Tested and Built to Last Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented ceramic coffee grinder burr is tested through three quality inspections to last 5x's longer than comparable stainless steel coffee burrs; combined with an impeccable stainless steel frame and convenient size, this coffee burr grinder is at the pinnacle of travel gadgets.
- Enhance your morning experience with the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder Features a built-in adjustable grind selector with 18 adjustable grind settings to craft your perfect cup; this manual burr grinder is built with a patented dual plated ceramic burr assembly that's great for all coffee brewing methods; comes with a manufacturer warranty & 100% money back guarantee.
- Why I Like The Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder?
- Why I Like The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder?
- What Features To Look For In The Best Coffee Grinder?
- Top 5 Coffee Grinders Handpicked By Me
- 1. Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder – Best Budget Grinder
- 2. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder – Best Manual Grinder
- 3. The Baratza Encore – Best Entry Level Grinder
- 4. Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr – Best Advanced Grinder
- 5. KRUPS Electric Grinder
- The Final Words
Why I Like The Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder?
This coffee grinder impresses me with a plethora of features packed at a reasonable rate that most people can afford. Despite being a moderately priced grinder, it features a compact design with a textured surface for a better grip. It features a large area for grinding and a transparent lid that allows you to see all the action taking place without having to remove the lid to check the status.
The compact body of the grinder makes it highly portable and I finally have something that I can carry with me on vacations. I can now enjoy a cup of freshly brewed espresso anywhere you want. I also love the one-touch operation that makes it easier to use for beginners.
There are no complicated instructions or manuals to follow. The stainless steel blades shred and chop the beans into the perfect consistency to enjoy a flavorful brew. Cleaning it up is super easy and the versatile grinder can also be used as a multipurpose tool for grinding herbs and spices.
Why I Like The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder?
When it comes to the manual coffee grinder, the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is my ultimate choice for its awesome performance, ease of use, and portability. When you grind beans in the JavaPresse, it gives off a heavenly aroma, which is enough reason to buy this beautiful piece of kitchen tool. If you are the kind who loves to indulge in the old-school method of coffee grinding, you will love the JavaPresse experience!
Another reason why I prefer this hand-operated device is that this is a complete hassle-free grinder with no batteries, power, cords, etc. It works by your hand and the pressure you exert to move the handle. The adjustable grind area comes with 18 different click settings that give you complete control over coffee grinding.
This method works best to make an excellent pour-over coffee.
The easy-to-remove hand-crank system eliminates about 90 percent of the noise, so this is a comparatively quieter grinder than the electric device. With minimal effort and no electric consumption, the JavaPresse manual grinder can give you pure and fresh grounds at any time, anywhere! What else can a coffee lover ask for?
What Features To Look For In The Best Coffee Grinder?
Coffee grinders are one of the most essential pieces of equipment that can exponentially enhance the way you enjoy your dark beverage, regardless of the technique used for coffee making. This also holds equally true for the coffee shots.
Here are the important factors to consider when looking for the best coffee grinders:
- Burrs vs Blades
- Conical vs flat burrs
- Manual or Electric
- Stainless steel or Ceramic Burrs
- Auto Grinding ability
- Grind Setting/ Precision
- Bean Hopper Size
- Customer Reviews
• Burrs vs Blades
A blade grinder comes with a blade in the center and it looks more like a propeller, just like the one you can see in a blender. A burr grinder, on the other hand, comprises two revolving sharp surfaces and the beans are placed for grinding in between them. The change in grind size may be due to the distance between these two surfaces.
The reason why coffee enthusiasts choose burr grinders over blades is that the coffee beans are ground in a consistent size. When you grind with a burr, you have more control over the grinding process.
• Conical vs Flat Burrs
You will find two options here – conical and flats. They both do the same thing and some at a similar price point. The only difference is in the way the coffee beans enter the grinder. Conical burrs come in different varieties and they have a larger surface area that helps in eliminating heat at a faster rate.
The flat burrs, on the other hand, come with a flat disk used for grinding and they are mostly found in the medium range to the high-end grinders. They have a larger diameter than the conical burrs and are good at shedding heat.
• Manual or Electric
The manual or hand-operated coffee grinder takes more time and effort but it is a relatively cheaper and quieter option. It is also more durable and travel-friendly. If you wish to grind beans for more cups at a time, an electric grinder may be a good option.
The electric version also delivers a more consistent grind than the manual counterparts.
• Stainless Steel or Ceramic Burrs
The coffee grinders are typically made of high-quality stainless steel material that comes in different grades suitable for the budget as well as high-end users. The steel burrs have a shorter lifespan and they are reasonably priced, so they are cheaper to replace. The ceramic burrs are durable and they work great when it comes to brewing espresso.
• Auto Grinding
Some equipment comes with a button and when you push the button, the coffee beans start grinding. You let go of the button and grinding stops. Some people find it annoying to push the button and stand during the grinding process.
Other grinders come with a wheel or switch that can be turned on and off. You can put the coffee beans inside and let the device grind automatically while you do your other tasks. I prefer grinders that come with both functionalities.
• Grind Setting/ Precision
The good quality grinders come with more settings that enable you to have more control and achieve a higher level of precision. For home use, look for grinders that come with 20 settings. While there are grinders that have 40-50 grinder settings, they are mostly used for commercial purpose.
• Bean Hopper Size
I would suggest that you look for a larger hopper size that can accommodate more coffee beans for more convenience. You may also not want the beans to be sitting in the hopper for too long before it is used. So, choose a suitable product based on your requirement and what is more important for you – convenience or freshness?
• Customer Reviews
Make sure you check the customer reviews before buying a coffee grinder online because you can learn a lot from other buyer’s mistakes and experiences. Spend some time reading the customer reviews and finding out whether it is right for you.
The manufacturer warranty is another important factor that you need to consider when buying a coffee grinder. While most of the brands offer a one-year warranty, some of the best coffee grinders may be backed by a 3-years manufacturer warranty. Make sure you check and compare the guarantee/ warranty covers to find the product that works best for you.
• Other features
The advanced modern-day coffee grinders come with a plethora of extra features that include a safety lock, electric timer, automatic shut-off, stainless steel styling, programmable grinding, hide-away cord storage, LCD display, Borosilicate glass container, LED indicator, stainless-steel blade, and so on.
Top 5 Coffee Grinders Handpicked By Me
1. Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder – Best Budget Grinder
As already mentioned above, the Quiseen stands first in our list as the best one-touch electric grinder. It can hold up to 70 grams of coffee beans and serve up to 7 cups of delicious coffee. The stainless steel blades are sturdy and it features a resilient motor.
The grinder comes with a safety lock that is handy if you have kids at home.
2. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder – Best Manual Grinder
This manual coffee grinder works on a hand-crank mechanism and the ceramic combo burrs are highly reliable. They are five times more durable than stainless steel blades. It takes about 2-5 minutes to grind one to two cups of coffee at a time.
If you are looking for a traditional and portable method to grind the coffee, the JavaPresse with 18 grinding settings fits the bill with ease.
3. The Baratza Encore – Best Entry Level Grinder
The Encore comes from the family of Baratza and this is a more pocket-friendly version of coffee grinders offered by the company. If you are an ardent homebrewer who loves to make consistent and precise grounds without shelling out a lot of money, this is a good choice. It comes with an auto-grind function and a push-button for added convenience.
It also includes a removal hopper, which makes it easy to clean and maintain the device.
4. Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr – Best Advanced Grinder
There are many features that make the Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr one of the advanced coffee grinders in the market. It houses a 100-watt conical motor and about 16 grind settings to help you achieve a complete spectrum of flavors. There are optional speeds available for Turkish grinds, espresso grounds, American blends, and others.
5. KRUPS Electric Grinder
This electric grinder by KRUPS deserves a mention in top 5 best coffee grinders for its versatility and great speed. Apart from coffee beans, it can also grind seeds, herbs, nuts, and spices. This small and compact device can hold up to 3 ounces of beans that can make 12 cups of coffee.
It features stainless steel blades that can chop beans into a consistent and fine ground. It is powered by a 200-watt motor that grinds beans quickly and works best for busy mornings.
The Final Words
Coffee is an invincible part of life, so it is fair that you spend a good time learning about the different coffee grinders and what to look for when buying one. I would like to say again that the way you grind the coffee beans can make or break the flavor, so choose the equipment wisely.
While some people may prefer to invest in high-end coffee grinders, I personally feel that too many options and settings are not necessary for home use. Invest in a good grinder that delivers consistent coffee grounds to get the perfect flavors.
Regardless of the type of machine you use for brewing, you will definitely need a grinder to make fresh grounds that will impact your cup of Joe. I feel the Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder fits the bill perfectly and flatters not only the wallet but also your taste buds. If you prefer a manual press then I recommend the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder that delivers quality grinds in the traditional way!
Buying a coffee grinder is probably a more important decision than buying a brewing machine, so don’t settle for anything that results in less than great taste!