Tired of making coffee the old-fashioned way? Upgrade to a smart coffee maker and start brewing in the 21st century! We compare models and features for you.
In the days of yore (read: early 2000s or before), brewing coffee was a very “analog” affair. You had to push a few buttons, place the beans or coffee grounds yourself, and then pay attention to when the brew was ready.
In modern times, coffee brewing has become high-tech. While we're not quite at the point where a cup of Joe can make itself from scratch, we're edging closer and closer each day.
If you're interested in embracing the future, we've compiled a list of the top five smart coffee makers. Here's what you've been missing.
- Best Smart Coffee Maker Models
- How to Choose a Smart Coffee Maker
- The Final Word on Smart Coffee Makers
- FAQs About Smart Coffee Makers
Best Smart Coffee Maker Models
- BARISTA GRADE: Nespresso Inissia by Breville offers an impeccable coffee or espresso cup every time, thanks to its automatic operation and patented extraction system which delivers up to 19 bars of pressure
- FAST: Eliminate the wait time with how fast the water reaches the ideal temperature in less 25 seconds in a single touch. This automatic coffee machine gets your perfect cup of coffee or espresso to you fast
- ENERGY EFFICIENT COFFEE MACHINE: Smart energy saving mode automatically switches off the coffee maker after 9 minutes
- SMART COFFEE MAKER: Brew two different cup sizes; Espresso (1.35 oz) and Lungo (3.7 oz). The folding drip tray accommodates larger single serve cup sizes and recipes. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks
Starting us off is this Bluetooth-enabled coffee maker from Breville and Nespresso. If you want an at-home barista, this machine is about as close as you're going to get. Nespresso is already well-known for making high-end coffee, so now you can experience it for yourself in a high-tech way.
This machine makes up to four cups at a time, and it's super fast. For example, if you're making an espresso, the coffee maker will heat the water in about 25 seconds. If you need something a bit larger, the machine has four different cup sizes.
Best of all, with the water reservoir on the side, you can tell how much is left with a quick scan. Finally, this machine shuts itself off for safety.
- STRONG WIFI - Download the free Atomi Smart app and connect to WiFi more easily with a hotspot that pops up as soon as you plug into an outlet. If connection gets lost in an outage, Wifi automatically returns once power is restored.
- COFFEE NOTIFICATIONS - Create daily and weekly schedules to make and enjoy your coffee throughout the day. Push notifications to your phone and an audible beeping from the machine let’s you know your coffee’s ready.
- SMART, VERSATILE DESIGN - Operate your coffee maker using your smartphone, voice commands, or manually. It’s designed with an LED display and control panel to give you a hands-on experience if you choose.
- VOICE ACTIVATED - Use with Alexa or Google Assistant to turn the coffee maker off and on, and to check and change brew strengths to Regular or Strong mode.
- HIGH-QUALITY, ECO-FRIENDLY MATERIALS - Reinforced with a crack-resistant hot plate base for lasting use, this new Gen. coffee maker arrives complete with a 12-cup glass carafe and washable, reusable filter.
If you're the smart home type, you'll appreciate the fact that you can connect the Atomi Smart Coffee Maker to your Google Home or Amazon Alexa device. So, all you need is your voice to brew the perfect cup.
Atomi is on its second-generation coffee maker, which improves the design and functionality of the original. You can build out your schedule for the week or brew on-demand, and the machine will deliver push notifications to your devices when your cup is ready.
- Brew multiple brew sizes, ranging from a pod free single cup or travel mug, all the way up to a full Carafe
- Hot brewing lets you enjoy a bold, flavorful cup of hot coffee or tea; Or brew over ice to create full flavored, refreshing iced beverages
- Brew your favorite style of tea, whether you use tea bags or loose leaf, with the specially designed tea brew basket
- Auto IQ one touch intelligence technology
- Built in frother turns hot or cold milk into silky smooth froth in seconds, with nothing more than the press of a button; The thermal Carafe is not dishwasher safe
Ninja has already made a name for itself with blenders, but the brand is branching into smart coffee maker territory. Although this system doesn't connect to your smartphone or home device, it does have Auto-iQ technology.
The Ninja system works well for both coffee and tea and will adjust its calculations automatically. You can also brew hot or cold, giving you more versatility.
The device includes a built-in milk frother for lattes, Americanos, and cappuccinos. Better yet, you can brew a single cup or a whole carafe at a time.
- Alexa turn on my coffee maker smart 12 cup coffee maker works with Alexa giving you the ability to ask your Alexa app or Alexa smart speaker to start brewing change brew strength or turn off the coffee maker. The clock automatically keeps the correct time by syncing wirelessly with the app so you can easily program for wake-up ready coffee using routines in the Alexa app.
- Certified for Humans: Smart home made easy for non-experts. Setup with Alexa is simple.
- Works with Alexa this smart coffee maker is "works with Alexa certified" meeting a high bar for responsiveness reliability & functionality. Few smart coffee makers are able to achieve works with Alexa certification which ensures the best smart home experience with your Alexa app or echo device.
- No need to download additional apps to control the coffee maker you only need the Alexa app to turn the connected brewer on or off. You can use the Alexa app to set morning routines to program to brew which gets you out the door even faster.
- Easily add coffee and water from the front. The front fill design of the reservoir lets you add water without moving the smart coffee maker from under the cabinets. The brew basket uses a standard coffee filter and swings out for front filling.
For those who want a more direct smart coffee machine experience, this model from Hamilton Beach is just one step above a regular drip coffee maker. The buttons and design are almost identical to a traditional version, except this model connects to Amazon Alexa.
This smart coffee maker is also made to brew up to 12 cups of coffee at once. So, if you're a one or two-cup kind of person, you'll likely have a lot left over afterward.
- 3-WAYS TO BREW: Brew up to 12 cups with ground coffee on the carafe side or use dual purpose single serving to brew a pod or ground coffee on the other. The included pod holder and single-serve grounds basket easily handle both options
- SINGLE-CUP COFFEE MAKER: Brew a cup with a K-Cup, pod, another pod brand, or ground coffee. The included pod holder and single-serve grounds basket easily handle both options and the cup rest removes so you can brew into a tall travel mug
- BREW A FULL POT OF COFFEE: This programmable coffee maker has Easy-Touch programming for wake-up ready coffee. After brewing, coffee stays warm for 2 hours and the power automatically shuts off. Auto Pause & Pour lets you pour a cup as coffee brews
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR BREW STRENGTH: Control how strong you want your coffee with Select-a-Brew: regular and bold brewing options
- 2 SEPARATE EASY-FILL WATER RESERVOIRS: Each brewing side on this Hamilton Beach coffee maker has its own water reservoir that’s easy to fill and features a water window, so you always know exactly how much water to add
Finally, we have this dual-coffee brewing machine from Hamilton Beach. Rather than just making a full carafe, you can choose between a single cup or a whole pot. Since this machine has programmable buttons, it's considered a smart coffee maker. However, don't expect it to connect to your phone or Alexa, as it does not have WiFi capability.
How to Choose a Smart Coffee Maker
Before dropping money on a smart coffee machine, it helps to know what to look for so you can compare models. Here are the top smart features to consider:
Some people like having more devices connected to their smart home, while others prefer a non-connected coffee maker. Also, consider whether voice control is better than a mobile app.
Do you only need a single-serve machine, or would you prefer a 12-cup coffee maker?
Most smart coffee machines have safety features like automatic shut-off and push notifications. That way, you won't accidentally burn your coffee or short out the internal mechanisms.
High technology can be pretty expensive, especially when compared to a traditional coffee maker. Some models can easily cost upwards of $70 and $80, so you have to consider whether the extra features add enough value.
The Final Word on Smart Coffee Makers
For those who love a great cup of coffee, smart devices like the ones we've shown can make your life much easier. Imagine waking up to a fresh pot, all without having to use a grinder or fumble with coffee filters. Truly, we're living in the future.
FAQs About Smart Coffee Makers
Can I use a smart plug on a regular coffee maker instead?
Smart plugs allow you to turn devices on with your smart home device. However, with this kind of setup, you'd still have to do everything yourself since the machine isn't “smart.”
Do smart coffee makers last as long as traditional ones?
Anything that uses high-tech components will break down quicker than its “analog” counterparts. So you have to weigh the pros and cons of convenience vs. longevity.
What is a Smart Coffee Maker?
First, a smart coffee maker is one that you can connect to your phone or smart home via WiFi. Second, some machines will automatically brew your coffee based on pre-programmed settings. Overall, any coffee maker that uses high-tech features can fall under this umbrella. We'll discuss specific features later on in the comparison section.