Thinking of buying a Hamilton Beach 49980A? Wondering if 49980Z is better? Read this review of a coffee enthusiast like you to make the right choice.
I strongly believe that coffee is the best medicine for the toughest situations in life. It can fix the bad mornings and make good mornings even better! What can be more blissful than holding a warm cup of Joe and smelling the rich aroma of freshly brewed coffee!
To make great coffee that delivers the perfect aroma and taste, you need the finest quality beans roasted no more than a week before. You also need the right coffee maker that is engineered to whip up a rich cup of coffee and the Hamilton Beach 49980A does the job better than 49980Z and several other products out there.
A lot of people ask me about Hamilton Beach 49980A and whether it is worth the money. So, today I decided to do a detailed review of the 49980A model and also compare it with 49980z to find out which is better.
- 2 WAYS TO BREW: SINGLE CUP OR FULL POT. Brew a single-serve cup or a full pot of coffee with your favorite ground coffee. Whichever way you brew, the Hamilton Beach Programmable Coffee Maker makes it easy to do both. Not compatible with K-Cup pods
- SIMPLE SINGLE-CUP BREWING — DOESN'T USE K-CUP PODS. Brew a cup for one using loose ground coffee (not compatible with K-Cup pods). With the included mesh scoop, adding your favorite ground coffee couldn’t be easier: just scoop, place and brew
- PEACE OF MIND WITH 2 HOUR AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF. How many times have you walked out the door, only to wonder: did I turn the coffee maker off. Now there's no worry or turning around to check, since the coffee maker turns off automatically after 2 hours
- PROGRAMMABLE FOR WAKE-UP READY COFFEE. Program the Hamilton Beach coffee maker with the time you want to start brewing, fill with water and add ground coffee. When you wake up, coffee will be hot and ready to drink. Not compatible with K-Cup pod
- CHOOSE YOUR BREW STRENGTH WITH SELECT-A-BREW. Control how strong you want your coffee with two brew options: regular and bold. Choose Regular for standard medium-grind coffee, or go Bold for decaf, finer grind or a premium roast brand for richer flavor
So, here's my unbiased take on Hamilton beach 49980A review: Is it better than the 49980Z?
- Hamilton Beach 49980A Features
- FAQs About Hamilton Beach 49980A
- What do you like best about the coffee maker?
- Can I brew the single-serve and whole pot at the same time?
- How long does it take to brew the full 12-cup carafe?
- Does the machine beep after the brewing is done?
- What is the common feedback regarding the quality of coffee produced?
- Can I prepare other drinks other than coffee?
- Can I use coffee pods for this machine?
- What are the maintenance needs of the machine?
- How does the 49980A compare with other brands?
- Where is the Hamilton Beach 49980A made?
- Are there any limitations to this coffee maker?
- 7 Tips to Get the Most Out of The Hamilton Beach 49980A
- Is Hamilton Beach 49980A better than the Hamilton Beach 49980Z?
Hamilton Beach 49980A Features
Let’s first talk about Hamilton Beach 49980A and its features.
Hamilton Beach 49980A comes from the house of an American company that derives its name from two different names – L.H. Hamilton and Chester Beach. It manufactures small home appliances, and coffee machines are one of its premium products.
Although coffee machines are one of the several appliances that the company makes, Hamilton Beach coffee makers rank as one of the best in the market. The company pays attention to the finer details to deliver products equipped with useful features and Hamilton Beach 49980A is the perfect example.
Construction and Make
When buying a coffee maker, the first thing that comes to my mind is durability. If you are a coffee lover like me, you will be using this appliance every day so it should be strong enough to last for long. Another important factor is the aesthetic appeal and Hamilton Beach 49980A scores good points for both.
The exterior is made of durable stainless steel and some parts are made of hard plastic to give a sophisticated look to the device. I found the digital display easy to operate and the transparent carafe lets you see the action taking place.
The Hamilton Beach 49980A not only boasts a sturdy construction but also a compact design that can fit well in your kitchen countertop. Although the water reservoir is large in size, it’s compactly designed to save space in your kitchen. There’s also a single cup side reservoir for one-time fillings.
What I love about the design is that the engineers have taken care of every usability aspect to make 49980A work like a charm. It comes with a multilevel cup adjuster that can accommodate cups of various sizes.
A two-way brewer usually gives you an image of a bulky appliance, but this is not the case with 49980A. The drip coffee maker also features an easy-to-use control panel that makes it easy to set different programs for your perfect cuppa.
I totally appreciate the fact that the manufacturer has not compromised with the performance to score in the looks category. The 49980A features practical functions that enable the coffee maker to deliver a great performance.
As this is a 2-way brewing machine, I get the convenience to use it as a single-serve coffee machine when I am alone or use the full 12-cup carafe when I have friends visiting me. The single-serve water reservoir enables users to take advantage of the convenient one-time filling.
Another feature I absolutely love is the multi-level cup rest that fits mugs of different sizes. So, I prefer my regular cups on weekdays and the large mugs for the weekends when I can enjoy my coffee for long. The brew basket comes with a ground strainer that lets me use pre-packaged pods or freshly ground coffee.
With the full-serve option, entertaining guests at home becomes a breeze. I also like using it when I am in the mood for a coffee binge while watching movies on Netflix back to back.
Talking about several cups of coffee, I love the brew strength selector that allows users to enjoy coffee of different strengths ranging from standard to bold. It works perfectly for people who like to enjoy strong Java in the morning, a medium cup during the day, and a mild Joe at night.
This 24-hour programmable device also fits into your daily routine seamlessly to add more convenience to your life. You can pre-set the device by specifying the hour and minute to brew your morning coffee at the desired time without having to worry about it.
With the inbuilt programmable clock, you can adjust your preferred settings and program the device up to 24 hours in advance to brew a cup of coffee at the right time. I prefer to set it up at night for a relaxed morning.
Just wake up, take a shower, do your morning duties and pour out a hot cup of delicious coffee prepared by the Hamilton Beach 49980A.
Ease of Use
I don’t know about others but I get very lazy when it comes to cleaning the appliance so I always look for a device that’s easy to use and requires less maintenance. The 49980A fits the bill perfectly as it’s not only user-friendly but easy to clean too.
The simple push buttons on the side let you choose your preferred strength and brew a regular or bold coffee. It requires low maintenance as the device is easy to clean.
To clean the device, you simply need to pull out the filters and wash them directly under the tap. You may also use a dishwasher to clean the filter and filter basket. If you don’t like the hassle of cleaning a large coffee pot every time, choose the option of single-cup brewing.
Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of Hamilton beach 49980A.
FAQs About Hamilton Beach 49980A
What do you like best about the coffee maker?
Most customers say that they like the single-serve brewer option offered by the coffee maker. It allows them to prepare just the amount of coffee they want.
This minimizes waste, as you don’t need to throw away the excess coffee. Just add two tablespoons of coffee ground and let your drink brew.
Can I brew the single-serve and whole pot at the same time?
No, you cannot. At present, you can only brew one size at a time. You can, however, switch between the options whenever you want to suit your preferences.
How long does it take to brew the full 12-cup carafe?
It takes about 15-20 minutes for the full pot of coffee to brew while the single-cup takes only about 1 minute. You can get a full 14 oz. cup of coffee in about 60 seconds.
When you are the entire family at home or friends coming over, the 12-cup carafe can make enough coffee for all. To save time, you can program the device in advance to brew coffee 5 minutes before you intend to drink it. This function works both with single-serve and coffee pot.
Does the machine beep after the brewing is done?
No, which can be both good and bad. Some people like the fact that the machine does not beep because they find it annoying. Others wish the machine made a beep sound to indicate that the coffee is ready to pour.
What is the common feedback regarding the quality of coffee produced?
I looked at the different customer reviews and feedback and found that most people are happy with the quality of coffee produced. One customer said coffee is hot enough to let him add some chilled milk to it. Another customer feels the single-serve delivers fuller and stronger coffee than the carafe.
Some people who like their coffee with milk said there is enough space in the single-serve cup to add dairy to enhance the taste.
Can I prepare other drinks other than coffee?
Although I have not used the appliance for anything other than coffee, there are people who have used it to make tea and hot chocolate drinks.
They use the single-serve option to heat water and then add instant tea or cocoa mix to get a hot drink. Some people also prefer to use iced coffee by adding ice cubes to the freshly made brew.
Can I use coffee pods for this machine?
Yes, the coffee maker accepts Senseo pods in its single-serve side, and you may use the Maxwell House filter packs for the 12-cup coffee pot. It also goes well with ground coffee, however, the coffee maker does not accommodate K-cups.
What are the maintenance needs of the machine?
The 49980A requires low maintenance but you will still need to take good care of the device to ensure that it lasts for long. Use mild soap and water to clean the carafe or you may put it in the dishwasher.
If you use the coffee maker daily, consider neutralizing it once in a while by running a mixture of water and white vinegar through it. To clean the exterior, just use a damp cloth to wipe out the dirt.
How does the 49980A compare with other brands?
I looked at some of the customer reviews from people who have used coffee makers from different brands before and most of them are happy with the 49980A.
A customer who has used a Keurig coffee maker before said that the single-serve portion takes time to brew but the resulting coffee tastes better. He also mentioned that the 49980A makes bolder and stronger coffee.
Another customer replaced their Keurig with the Hamilton Beach 49980A because they realized that the K-cups were a huge ecological waste.
Where is the Hamilton Beach 49980A made?
The product is made in China.
Are there any limitations to this coffee maker?
Yes, there are a few limitations and the customer reviews reflect what I have noticed in my Hamilton Beach 49980A review. The device lacks a built-in grinder, water filters, temperature control, self-cleaning functionality, and a mesh basket liner for the coffee pot.
I do not use K-cups so that is not a big problem for me. However, if you like using them, you will be disappointed to know that the 49980A does not accommodate K-cups.
7 Tips to Get the Most Out of The Hamilton Beach 49980A
If you have bought a Hamilton Beach 49980A or are thinking of buying one, then I would like to tell you that it’s a wise decision. The coffee maker is not only durable but also offers good value for money.
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your investment.
- Every coffee maker is different so make sure you read the manufacturer's instructions carefully and do not assume anything. Follow the directions for set up, cleaning, and troubleshooting.
- Although this is a durable coffee maker, I would suggest that you clean it thoroughly after use to ensure that it stays at its best and delivers the perfect flavor every time!
- If you use your coffee maker daily, make sure you descale it frequently with vinegar and water to neutralize and sanitize the device.
- To enjoy the perfect flavor and aroma, always use the best quality coffee beans. The low-quality beans available at a steep discount may save you money but not give you the same experience.
- Don’t pre-grind your coffee beans as the flavor starts depleting soon after. So, make sure you grind coffee just before brewing your drink.
- Avoid overfilling the filter in an attempt to enhance the flavor. This will only result in leakage and may even dilute the flavor as the extraction will not take place properly. Use a bold setting instead when you need a more intense taste.
- When you want intense flavors in your coffee, make a coarser grind, and adjust the bold settings to enjoy a strong brew. To get the best flavor, choose coffee beans that have been roasted less than a week before.
Is Hamilton Beach 49980A better than the Hamilton Beach 49980Z?
When I saw the Hamilton Beach 49980Z, I could hardly tell the difference from the 49980A model. It looks like an exact copy of the other and even features have a stark similarity. From the stainless steel finish and 12-cup carafe to the gorgeous display clock and programming function, it’s like a total replica.
Just like the 49980A, you can use 49980Z to brew coffee of different strengths – regular or bold. It comes with a pod holder that can brew soft pod coffee and give users an awesome sensory experience with freshly ground coffee without any messy grind.
Similar to 49980A, the 49980Z comes with an in-built programmable clock and timer. You can program the settings 24-hours in advance to get your steaming hot morning Joe as soon as you get out of bed. So, you can go ahead and snooze your alarm clock for 5 minutes more!
If you are still looking for a difference to tell which is better, I think it’s the travel mug. The Hamilton Beach 49980A does not include a travel mug while the 49980Z comes with one. So, if a travel mug really means a lot to you then you have all the reasons to go with 49980Z!
The Final Words
I truly feel that the Hamilton Beach 49980A was built with coffee lovers in mind because it takes care of little things that can enrich your coffee experience. This is a versatile and compactly designed equipment that comes packed with features but doesn’t eat up your counter space.
The two-way brewing option offered by Hamilton Beach 49980A on Amazon.com adds a lot of convenience to coffee making. The single-cup works fine for me unless the entire family is home or I have friends come over to watch the Super Bowl game together.
More than anything else, I believe the easy to program settings make the Hamilton Beach 49980A stand above the rest. The convenience of rolling out of bed and treating your senses to the intoxicating flavor of coffee first thing in the morning is unbeatable!
Whether you wish to buy the 49980A or 49980Z is completely your take because they come equipped with the same features and functionality. If you are looking to put your money in the right place and buy a coffee maker that delivers what it promises, the Hamilton Beach 49980A is the way to go!