The best coffee grinder for cold brew must produce consistent coarse grounds. Here are my three favorite coffee grinders for cold brew.
Cold brew is on the rise. The low acidity with a refreshing note and a smoother, deeper texture makes it one of the most talked-about drinks in the coffee scene.
You don't have to spend top dollar for a stellar coffee grinder to make cold brew. It’s much more likely that the grinder you have at home can produce a perfect batch of coarse grounds. But what if your grinder cannot handle coarse grounds that well, and now you’re looking to buy a new one?
Wondering which one is the best buy in today’s market and what to consider before purchasing? Let’s dive right in.
- What To Look For When Buying The Best Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew
- How To Pick The Best Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew
- The Best Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew Overall
- The Best Coffee Grinders For Cold Brew For Aesthetic
- The Best Manual Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew
- Testing Criteria
- Why You Can Trust Me
What To Look For When Buying The Best Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew
Always look for coarse ground. Coarser grounds preserve the oils in coffee. Meanwhile, finer grounds clump together and are more exposed to heat and friction, which deters the cold water from going through for optimal extraction.
I always ensure I’ll get a grinder with at least seven grind settings that give me total flexibility to yield accurate grind size.
Ability To Handle Coarseness
Not all grinders can make coarse grinds that well. You don’t want to end up with an expensive grinder that costs thousands of dollars only to handle fine grounds but gives out uneven, coarse grounds.
You might also be interested in learning about the best coffee grinders for percolator.
How To Pick The Best Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew
Don't fall for blade grinders. They end up chopping your beans instead of grinding uniform grounds. Burr grinders are a better call.
Electric grinders save you more time than manual ones unless you’re on a vacation or camping trip. Test the grinding sound when you buy and opt for a quiet (or nearly quiet) operation.
You might find our guide on how to store cold brew useful.
Cold-brew coffee can last up to two weeks in the fridge, and that's why buying a grinder with a large bean hopper is a wise move.
The Best Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew Overall
The OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is my favorite medium-range coffee grinder for a cold brew that gives you up to 38 grind settings. I go between 11 and 15 to make a beautiful coarse batch to make cold brew coffee. Plus, it comes with an integrated scale that you don't see from most other grinders.
Since I have a café at home, the scale saves me so much time from weighing the beans on a separate scale. Once the beans go in the hopper, all you need to do is switch between Cup – Gram – Manual Mode. Other than that, OXO is high torque and low speed, so it doesn't overheat the grounds.
Last but not least, the price range is also affordable for entry-level users.
- OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder's built-in scale measures grounds by weight instead of time, eliminating the need for a separate scale; automatic shutoff ensures a precise amount of ground coffee every time
- Durable, 40 mm stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for up to 38 settings -- from fine for espresso to coarse for French press or cold brew
- High torque/low speed motor won’t overheat beans, preserving flavor and generating minimal static for less mess. Built-in overheating detection protects motor for long life
- Use the single dial to switch between Cups Mode, Grams Mode or Manual Mode. In Cups mode, you grind based on the number of cups of coffee you would like to brew.
- No-bean detector won't let you grind if the hopper is empty
The Best Coffee Grinders For Cold Brew For Aesthetic
Another great middle-range coffee grinder for cold brew is the Fellow Ode Brew Flat Burr Coffee Grinder. This grinder is a show-stopper with an ultra-modern, sleek, neat, and bold appearance.
Fellow Ode Brew Grinder has a smooth and quiet operation using a flat burr and seven different settings to tackle different grind sizes. With that in mind, the perfect setting for the coarse ground is six. Another highlight is the single-dose load bin to minimize exposure to oxygen and prevent the beans from going stale.
- ODE BREW GRINDER - A powerful, precise, and quieter home coffee grinder with café capabilities, Ode was designed to perfect your daily brewed coffee; grind grounds specifically for AeroPress, pour-over, French press, cold brew, and more
- CAFE PERFORMANCE FOR YOUR COUNTERTOP - Grind what you need right before you brew with Ode's single dose hopper for maximum bean freshness; This coffee grinder has professional-grade 64 mm flat burrs that deliver consistently ground coffee beans
- PRECISION GRIND QUALITY - With 11 settings and 31 steps in between, easily adjust Ode’s coffee bean grind settings; Use the low settings to get the perfect consistency and fineness for your morning pour-over, or go for a more coarse grind to make a rich, robust French press or cold brew
- COFFEE BAR ACCESSORY - Ode transforms a morning chore into a quicker, quieter, and more enjoyable coffee-making experience; This sophisticated and modernly designed coffee grinder will turn your countertop into a barista's coffee corner
- FULL 1 YEAR WARRANTY - Fellow's outstanding customer service team is here to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase; Ode is warranted against any defects due to faulty material or workmanship for one year after the original date of consumer purchase
The Best Manual Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew
As a manual gadget, the DORCAS Stainless Steel Manual Coffee Grinder with Adjustable Ceramic Burr only costs a few pennies, but the value in return is beyond compare.
Tucked in this tiny gadget are 15 dial settings. The grinding wheels handle the beans well for a perfect single-serving batch of cold brew in about two minutes. Plus, it’s effortless to assemble and operate.
You’ll feel firm when holding the grinder because the small reservoirs on the upper and lower body part contain the beans perfectly. You’ll not like this one if you’re looking for extra fine grounds to make Turkish coffee or Moka Pot.
- ☕【Precision Grinding】Non - slip Handle With 360° Rotation,Large opening for easy filling,Clear window to see the fill level.This hand conical burr coffee grinder can be adjustable to achieve any desired size - coarse, medium, or fine.Experience 100% control of exclusive system, including more than 15 dial settings designed for cold brew, French press, drip grind, pour over, Turkish coffee etc.
- ☕【Special Handle Design】Our special handle design makes your grinder possible for storage. You waste no time to take the handle on or off every time without any hassle to worry where you should put your handle. The soft plastic design makes it protective to the surface of the body and you also can easily move upwards or downwards to the right position as you like it.
- ☕【No Batteries or Power】This coffee grinder manual makes you enjoy quiet mornings without any noises. The grinder does not need battery, power or long plastic cords to operate, not allowing you to enjoy freshly brewed coffee home, but to travel with and grind freshly roasted coffee beans in journey.
- ☕【Easy for Brewing】Take out of the handle easily, move the handle of coffee burr grinder clockwise in 3 mins, then you will enjoy delicious coffee time. Any novice can learn how to use the grinder easily, even without any users' guide, though we send it in the parcel.
- ☕【Portable Convenient】It is light-weighted and of small size, which makes it conveniently portable for your sweet travel. ❤We stand behind all of our products completely and we're here to help if you need us.❤
I make sure the particle size is uniform even after years of operation. Cleaning effort is another factor that comes into play as I don't want to spend hours cleaning after every use. The quality of materials is another crucial factor that decides whether or not a grinder’s shelf life can be measured in years.
Finally, I like the easy-to-use ones instead of the bells and whistles.
Why You Can Trust Me
I’ve been grinding coffee with my mom for over two decades, using many different grinders in her coffee shop. The ones I recommended above are still serving our repeated customers daily.
Each of the three coffee grinders for cold brew above is a perfect fit for each type of user. Start with the price range and ask yourself how much you can afford. If you're looking for a stellar grinder specifically for cold brew without breaking the bank, the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is the best choice.