Although coffee grinders are designed specifically for grinding coffee beans, can you grind nuts in a coffee grinder? Let’s find out!
A coffee grinder can grind nuts and even spices! It can turn nuts into powder and butter in just a few seconds. Some people use it to grind pumpkin seeds, so they blend better in smoothies.
I've seen some of my friends grind nuts and dry spices in their electric coffee grinders, and it works well for them. However, several issues can arise when using a coffee grinder to grind nuts – the first one would be cleaning it. You can solve this problem by grinding rice in your coffee grinder.
We often think of our appliances as having only one function – perhaps, this is why our cupboards are overflowing with all the latest devices. Your coffee grinder, however, is quite versatile. Let’s find out more about how you can grind nuts in your coffee grinder.
- How To Grind Nuts In Your Coffee Grinder
- How Does The Quality Of A Coffee Grinder Affect The Grind
- Blade Grinders Vs. Burr Grinders: What’s the Difference?
- Alternative Ways To Grind Nuts
How To Grind Nuts In Your Coffee Grinder
Fortunately, grinding nuts in your coffee grinder can be as simple as grinding spices or coffee beans. One of the main differences here is the small prep work needed to make the grind easier for your coffee grinder blades.
To grind nuts in your coffee grinder more effectively, follow these steps:
1. Choose the type of nuts you want to grind. You need to consider the density and hardness of the nut you're planning to grind in your coffee grinder. For example, if you want to grind pecans, it will probably not crush as easily as grinding walnuts.
2. Chop nuts into halves or quarters before putting them in your coffee grinder. Chopping the nuts isn’t technically required, but it will lighten the burden on your coffee grinder. If you do some prep work beforehand, the blades will not have to work as hard or for as long.
3. Put the nuts in your coffee grinder in small batches. You need to allow some space in the coffee grinder compartment for the nuts to move about while the blades and burrs are rotating. Furthermore, putting smaller batches will allow for a more effective grind.
4. Grind the nuts to your preferred coarseness. You can choose whether you grind your nuts into a coarse batch of finely chopped nuts or turn them into a more finely ground powder. However, this depends on your coffee grinder's effectiveness, so make sure that you know its capabilities.
How Does The Quality Of A Coffee Grinder Affect The Grind
Whole coffee beans are great, but they're useless unless they've been ground. Your coffee grinder may transform something whole into a fine powder with the flip of a switch.
Your coffee grinder is just as important as the coffee bean itself when it comes to making a cup of coffee. The fast spinning of blades or burrs allows the grinding process to take place. These blades and burrs spin rapidly, with the quality of the grind depending on the quality of the grinder.
You might also be interested in our explainer on can you use a coffee grinder for spices.
Blade Grinders Vs. Burr Grinders: What’s the Difference?
There are two types of coffee grinders available on the market – the Blade Coffee Grinders and the Burr Coffee Grinders. Let’s take a closer look at the differences between these two grinders.
Blade Coffee Grinders
Blade grinders have a blade that resembles a propeller and spins quickly enough to make your head spin. There are no settings on this type of grinder because the grind is decided by how long you let it run. You can have a super-fine but inconsistent grind with only one blade with a few large chunks.
The constant spinning of the blades causes static, which can cause your coffee grinds to stick to any surface around – your hands, your cabinet, your clothes, etc.
Burr Coffee Grinders (Conical and Flat Plate)
Blade grinders can get the job done despite their shortcomings, but a new grinder has arrived in town – the Burr Coffee Grinders. These grinders grind the coffee beans into a very consistent size, which is essential for a smooth cup of coffee.
There are two types of burr grinders available on the market – the conical burr grinders and the flat plate burr grinders. The conical burr grinder is made up of two cone burrs with ridges, which helps grind your coffee beans to perfection.
On the other hand, the flat plate burr grinder comprises two rings (serrated on the sides that face one another) and grinds vertically. Both perform an excellent job of uniformly grinding your coffee beans, which gives you the smoothest coffee.
Read our guide on the Best Coffee Grinders For Home: Ultimate Buyer’s Guide.
Alternative Ways To Grind Nuts
There are many excellent products out there that are inexpensive and don't take up a lot of your kitchen space, including:
The Nutribullet is one of the best multipurpose products available on the market. It comes with a milling blade that can make those very fine cuts of nuts or even turn them into peanut butter.
- The NutriBullet is the fastest, easiest solution for making nutrient- packed smoothies. Load it up with your favorite whole foods like nuts, berries and spinach, then push, twist and blend your way to a healthier lifestyle.
- Powerful 600-watt motor and refined nutrient-extraction blades blend whole foods into liquid fuel for your body - in seconds.
- (1) 600W motor base, (1) Extractor blade, (1) 24 oz cup, (1) to-go lid, (1) lip ring and recipe book
- Powerful stainless steel Extractor blades use Cyclonic action to break down tough ingredients. High-performance, BPA-free plastic cups are long lasting and Durable
- Hassle-free cleaning - simply twist off the blade, rinse with soap and water, and put the cups in the top rack of the dishwasher. This item comes with a 1 year Limited .
Small Food Processor
A typical food processor can take up a lot of countertop or cabinet space. However, there are also excellent options for small food processors (like Hamilton Beach 3-Cup Mini Food Processor & Vegetable Chopper) that will let you control how coarse or fine your nuts are chopped.
With these mini culinary treasures, you can pulse and chop your nuts into any size you need. Furthermore, aside from nuts, a small food processor is also ideal for chopping other ingredients without having the risk of cutting your fingers on accident.
- Simply stack and press to chop: The patented stack & press design makes it easy to assemble and use. Simply press the lid to chop and release to stop. Since all you do is stack the lid on top of the bowl, no difficult twist-locking is needed.
- Perfect size for everyday use: Chop and mix up to 3 cups of ingredients every day of the week with this 3 cup chopper. It's the perfect size for everyday use, yet small enough for easy storage.
- Easily chop, puree and emulsify with stainless steel blades: Durable stainless steel blades make easy work of a multitude of ingredients including onions, carrots and nuts. Oil dispenser on lid makes it easy to emulsify dressings, dips and sauces.
- Easy to clean: The bowl, lid and removable blades of the Hamilton Beach chopper are all dishwasher safe.
- Power through tough ingredients: This small food chopper has a 350 watt motor to provide all the power you need to prepare all types of food including onions, nuts, herbs, hummus, dressings and homemade baby food.
Since there is a tool for everything in the kitchen, you should invest in one of these if you plan on chopping nuts or grinding spices daily. For this, we recommend Mueller HyperGrind Precision Electric Spice/Coffee Grinder – it has excellent customer reviews, not to mention that it’s Amazon’s #1 best seller in grain mills.
- Consistent Grinds Every Time – Unlike many others on the market, the Mueller HyperGrind gives you perfect consistency & precision control over the coarseness of your Pour Over, Drip, Chemex, Cold Brew, French Press, Percolator,Turkish, Espresso, Herb, or Spices grind EVERY TIME!
- Compact & Stylish – Takes up minimum counter space and can be easily stored in cupboards and drawers but with its great modern styling, you just might want to leave it out in the open.
- Quality Above All Else - Mueller HyperGrind Precision Grinder is designed and tested through three professional grade inspections to outlast and outperform the competition!
- Powerful & Efficient - Long lasting blades made from strong and durable stainless steel will easily grind any type of coffee you like, from coarse to fine quickly and efficiently with minimum grinding noise.
- Made in China.
Chop Them Yourself
By far, chopping nuts by hand is the least appealing option on our list. Nevertheless, it is indeed an alternative. With this method, you can ensure that you get the consistency you desire.
You might also be interested in our guide on the best coffee grinders for spices.