There is no more popular varietal of coffee beans in the world than Arabica coffee. In fact, the variety is so popular that a popular chain of coffee shops in my hometown named itself after the varietal. But just because Arabica coffee is the most popular does not mean it is the only option for making your morning cup of Joe.
In fact, the Robusta varietal of coffee is another popular option, especially for those that want a bolder, more caffeinated brew.
Robusta coffee has gotten a bad rap compared to Arabica coffee because cheaper coffee brands frequently use it since it is easy to grow, has a bold flavor, and contains double the caffeine. However, a growing world of single-origin and high-quality Robusta coffees is trying to change that reputation. Here are some of the best Robusta coffee brands available on the market today. Read our guide to canephora robusta coffee.
Our Top 3 Best Robusta Coffee Brands For You
Below is a comparison table of the top three items from this article to help you choose which is best for you.
1. Nguyen Coffee Supply
Nearly all of the Robusta coffee in the world is grown in Vietnam, so it would make sense to start this list with the Vietnamese Nguyen Coffee Supply. While they offer many Arabica-Robusta blends, their 100% Robusta Truegrit is one of (if not the) best pure Robusta coffee available on the market today.
A medium roast coffee with notes of scotch and grapefruit, this brew showcases the quality of Robusta coffee and traditional Vietnamese roasting methods. Check out our explainer on What makes Vietnamese coffee different? to learn more.
Loyalty (Robusta & Arabica), 12 Ounce (Pack of 1)
2. Death Wish Coffee
The Death Wish Coffee Company started out when founder, Mike Brown, set out to create the most caffeinated (and heavy metal) cup of coffee on the market. For over a decade, they have delivered epic and delicious Robusta roasts. None exemplifies this better than the Zakk Wylde-inspired Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend, a dark roast Robusta that has enough caffeine to power a Black Sabbath concert.
They also offer a medium roast, in addition to a wide array of flavor-enhanced coffees.
3. Copper Cow Coffee
Founded by Debbie Wei Mullin, Copper Cow Coffee prides itself on bringing sustainably-grown Vietnamese coffee to the world. Copper Cow works with high-quality small-scale farms and pays the farmers twice the market rate for their Robusta beans.
Copper Cow also packages their coffee in single-serve pour-over packets – you simply open the packet, place it over your coffee cup, and then make yourself a pour-over! I was, quite honestly, blown away when I watched the video of how the packaging works.
Single-Serve Classic Black Pour Over Coffees, Specialty, Ground, Woman-Owned, Gourmet, Travel, Camping, On-the-Go (includes: 16 classic coffees)
4. Biohazard Coffee
Biohazard Coffee has one mission and one mission only – to put as much caffeine in a single cup of coffee as is humanly possible. They offer only one product, a light roast Robusta that packs 928 milligrams of caffeine in a 12-ounce cup of coffee.
You would be correct in thinking that it is around ten times the caffeine content of a standard brew. Most energy drinks do not pack that kind of punch. So, if you are looking to replace your energy drink with a tasty cup of coffee, Biohazard Coffee is the best option on the market for you.
- Biohazard coffee presents the strongest coffee on Earth.
- 928mg of caffeine will wake you up from the deepest of sleeps, and get you through the toughest of meetings. Also great for early morning college classes or up-all-night study sessions!
- This product is the pre-ground variety.
- Biohazard is made with Robusta beans for a dark organic roast.
- Our opinion is that this is the best cup of coffee with which to start your day. So please gift this to your loved ones, or drink it yourself, and see the difference!
The Trung-Nguyên coffee company prides itself on bringing high-quality Vietnamese coffee to the world. Vietnam has long been one of the biggest exporters of green coffee beans on the global market. However, this has meant that local roasting techniques are not being shared with the world.
Trung-Nguyên began in an effort to showcase the rich and tasty traditions of Vietnamese coffee. Offering whole beans, ground coffee, and instant coffee, Trung-Nguyên is one of the premier Vietnamese coffee companies, and their products are available globally.
Plus, on their website, they share the right way to brew Vietnamese coffee, so you can have the full experience of drinking Vietnam’s finest brew. For more choices, check out our round-up of the best Vietnamese coffee brands.
- ☕ UNIQUE VIETNAMESE BLEND. By using Vietnamese traditional roasting technique create an authentic and native taste that stimulates your sense. A blend of premium Arabica and Robusta coffees from Vietnam for those enjoy rich and bold flavor.
- ☕ SLIGHTLY BITTER & LIGHT AROMA. SUCCESS 3 Whole Bean Coffee has medium roast, smooth, light aroma and slightly bitter. An ideal cup for creative Espresso flavor that energizes you for a productive day.
- ☕ ACTIVE WITH ALL COFFEE MAKER. The perfect presentation method of SUCCESS 3 Whole Bean Coffee is by using the Vietnamese "Phin" filter and any coffee maker: drip machines, espresso maker, French press, V60, and moka pot.
- ☕ THE ENERGY COFFEE THAT CHANGES LIFE. With exclusive recipes, TRUNG NGUYEN LEGEND SUCCESS 3 Whole Bean Coffee brings you not only a quality cup of well-prepared beverage but also special energy keeping you concentrate on brainstorming, discovering and boosting your creativity potential.
- ☕ ENJOY COFFEE ROASTER AT HOME. Our whole beans are the selection of coffee experts, give you to brew a quality coffee at home when you can't get to the coffee shop
6. Shock Coffee
Based in New York City, Shock Coffee was designed for the residents of the city that never sleeps. Shock Coffee offers a high-caffeine Arabica-Robusta blend. While 100% Robusta coffees on this list, like Biohazard and Death Wish, may sport a higher overall caffeine content, Shock Coffee blends Robusta beans with Arabica to get the benefits of both varietals.
If Biohazard and Death Wish pack too strong of a punch for you, Shock Coffee may be the best Robusta option for you. Their coffee still offers extra caffeine compared to a standard cup of Arabica coffee, and it provides some of the richer coffee flavors that Arabica beans are known for.
- Wake Up, Work Smarter, Play Harder with Extra Kick in Every Sip
- Medium to Dark Roast Smooth Bold Flavor - No Need for Milk or Cream
- All Natural. Extra Caffeine comes from Select Delicioso Beans. No artificial caffeine added
- Served on 350+ U.S. military bases worldwide. Used by troops to stay alert during Iraq and Afghanistan incursions
- Shock + Gym = Focus better, Lift more, Run faster, Spin longer, Lose weight & Feel really good