Are you seeking out the best coffee for your stomach? This article covers the factors in coffee and offers choices to avoid unpleasant symptoms.
If you’re a coffee lover with a sensitive stomach, it can feel like your passion is at odds with your biology. The good news is that a bit of understanding of what’s causing your issues can help steer you towards options that satisfy your love of flavor without giving you pain in return. By knowing what it might be in coffee that your body is reacting to, you can explore the world of coffee.
Read on to learn more about why coffee can irritate some stomachs and how to find coffees that will help you avoid a troubled tummy.
Why Coffee Sometimes Causes Upset Stomach
There are a couple of reasons why people with sensitive stomachs might react to coffee, but the two main reasons are the caffeine content and the acidity. Caffeine is a stimulant–that’s part of its charm, after all.
But the same caffeine that gives you a buzz can also stimulate increased activity in your gastrointestinal system, from your stomach downward. Unfortunately, that increased stimulation can lead to cramps and bloating, along with some acid reflux.
The acid in coffee also plays a role in acid indigestion. While your stomach acids are generally much stronger than the acids in foods and beverages, many people with acid reflux or persistent acid indigestion find that acidic foods tend to exacerbate things.
So what to do if you love coffee but want to keep your stomach happy?
Choosing The Best Coffee For Your Stomach
While every stomach is different, there are some traits to seek out when you want coffee that won’t cause tummy troubles. Low acid coffees are a good option.
These usually fall into the medium and dark roast categories; you’ll also want to avoid coffee regions that tend to have more acidity in the beans, like Latin America. Indonesian coffees and some African blends are lower in acidity, making them solid choices.
If it’s the caffeine that’s causing your upset stomach, you might benefit from blends that are slightly less caffeinated based on the roast and processing. Of course, the best option is likely to be decaf--but if you really want the caffeine, taking a small step down will still help.
My Picks: The Best Coffee For Your Stomach
The best coffee to avoid an upset stomach is likely to be a little lower in acidity than average and one that is potentially a little lower in caffeine. While single-origin coffees can fit the bill, sometimes a blend is a better option. Here are my favorites for coffee that won’t upset your stomach.
Puroast Coffee Low Acid French Roast
The makers of Puroast Coffee have several single-origin and blended coffees that all boast lower acidity, and their French Roast is a particular favorite for a good reason. The company’s roasting process gets the credit for turning out coffee with approximately 70% lower acid than the market competitors.
- 70% LESS ACID: Puroast low acid coffee is perfect for every coffee lover, especially those with heartburn, acid reflux and other gastrointestinal issues. However you prefer your coffee, Puroast offers a wide variety of single serve, whole bean and ground coffee selection
- 7X HIGHER ANTIOXIDANTS: It turns out there is a connection between antioxidant levels and how coffee is heated during roasting. Published research from UC Davis shows that Puroast coffee has 7X the antioxidants of green tea and 5X the antioxidants of leading coffee brands
- PURE TO THE POUR: From our humble origins in the foothills of the Andes Mountains, Puroast's secret to crafting smooth, rich coffee is rooted in roasting the way that coffee growers do. We roast for quality, not volume, and never use any additives or extractions
- FEEL BETTER, NEVER BITTER: Take on the daily grind with a smooth, aromatic cup of coffee that tastes great and makes you feel good! Our unique roasting method creates a low-acid blend that won't bother your stomach and has no bitter aftertaste. We also use renewable, clean technology to fire our roasters
- QUALITY IN EVERY CUP: Not all coffee is created equal. Our high elevation grown coffee beans are sustainably sourced, kosher and chemical/pesticide free, so you can feel great about what you're drinking while gaining relief from coffee-related digestive issues
In addition to the health benefits, the coffee has a bold, rich flavor that avoids the bitterness that some french roasts can have, and the beans are equally good in drip filter, french press, and many other brewing settings.
Volcanica Coffee Low Acid Blend
Sometimes, a blend gives you truly great results, and this coffee by Volcanica proves that. The specialty coffee brand blends beans from several regions that naturally have lower acid content and roasts them to a medium level to make a quality drink with notes of chocolate, nuts, and tangerine. The blend includes Brazilian, Sumatran, and a few other varieties for a balanced, rounded coffee that is easy on the stomach.
- pH Level: 5.2-5.3 which is less acid than most other coffees.
- Flavor Notes: Chocolate, Nuts, and Tangerine. Processing: Washed.
- Our Low Acid Half Coffee is a blend of natural low acidic coffees that include beans from Brazil, Sumatra and other Arabica coffees grown at lower altitudes for a great taste that is easy on the tummy.
- Medium roasted allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a remarkable taste.
- Fresh roasted then immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness.
Java Planet Sumatra
This dark roast is one of several easy-on-the-stomach options from Java Planet, but it’s one of my favorite ones. While just about all of Java Planet’s offerings are lower in acid due to where they’re grown, the Sumatran coffee pairs that trait with a rich, rounded flavor that combines winey and earthy notes for a satisfying cup. It makes an especially rich and chocolaty cold brew, but it works just as well for hot brewing methods.
- Great Tasting Dark Roast! This Sumatra is well known for its dark chocolate notes and smooth body. An excellent choice for hot or cold brew.
- Peace of Mind! Not only is this coffee certified Organic, it is also certified Fair Trade. When you treat farmers and workers fairly, everyone benefits.
- No Pesticides! We use only 100% organic certified arabica coffee whole beans, grown without chemicals or GMOs. In drinking our coffee you will only absorb beneficial antioxidants naturally found in coffee grown at high altitudes.
- Whole Bean is Better! We only package whole bean coffee for the best flavor and so you may grind your coffee for any brewer - regular drip, pour over, French press, espresso etc...
- Family Owned and Operated! We want you to be happy! If you are not satisfied with your coffee please contact us so we can make it right!