Finding the right pour over coffee maker takes time. They are unlike automatic coffee makers, but can still brew a tasty caffeine hit. Our guide explains more.
But, if you haven’t enjoyed the authentic taste of pour-over coffee or never really tried your hand at brewing one then you are not a true home barista!
The good thing is that you are finally here and trust me, buying a pour over brewer is going to be one of the best decisions you have made. This article covers comprehensive information on the bestselling pour overs, brewing tips, and the factors you need to consider before buying one. However, if you are straight looking for a recommendation then I would say the Chemex Classic Series on Amazon.com.
- Why I Choose Chemex Classic Series, Pour-Over Glass Coffee Maker?
- How To Make The Perfect Coffee With Chemex Classic Series
- What Makes A Pour Over Coffee Taste Better?
- What To Look For In The Best Pour Over Coffee Makers?
- Top 3 Pour Over Coffee Brewers
- Tips For Getting The Best Cup Of Joe Using Pour Over Coffee Makers
- The Final Words
Why I Choose Chemex Classic Series, Pour-Over Glass Coffee Maker?
The Chemex Classic Series is more than just a coffee maker. It’s an art in itself! No wonder it has been rated as one of the 100 best-designed products by the Illinois Institute of Technology.
While several pour-over brands have come and gone, Chemex has withstood the tests of time and successfully delivered flavourful and aromatic coffee every time! The first-ever Chemex was invented in 1941 by a chemist, and the modern versions still replicate that generation of old passion!
With an elegant leather tie and wooden collar, the Chemex pour-over not only wins hearts with its great brewing capacity but also its vintage appearance that adds personality to the kitchen countertop. As the equipment is made of high-quality Borosilicate glass, it does not get contaminated by any chemical residues or odors, so what you get is a pure cup of unadulterated Java.
The Classic Series uses Chemex FP-2 filters (available on Amazon.com) that are designed to work with the 3-cup capacity. If you have leftover coffee, Chemex pour-over lets you store it in the refrigerator without depleting the flavor. You may reheat and drink it later.
How To Make The Perfect Coffee With Chemex Classic Series
- Buy your favorite whole coffee beans and grind them to medium coarse just before brewing. I would recommend that you use a burr grinder (check my reviews) to get a consistent grind that aids in fuller extraction.
- Make a cone shape out of the Chemex Bonded Coffee Filter and put it on the top of the brewer. The thick layer should completely cover the pouring spout.
- Dampen the filter with warm water to preheat the brewer and rinse the filter. It helps in better extraction of coffee grounds. The perfect brewing temperature is 200F.
- To get the right flavor use one tablespoon of ground coffee for every 5 oz. cup of water. If you prefer strong coffee, feel free to add some more.
- Take hot water (not boiling hot) and slowly pour a little amount over the grounds, wait for 30 seconds to let it bloom, and release the most desirable elements.
- Now pour hot water in a circular motion to ensure all areas in the filter are covered, keeping the water level below the top level at Chemex.
- After you have brewed the right quantity of coffee, dump the filter and discard the used grounds. Pour out the pure coffee into a Chemex mug and indulge in the taste.
What Makes A Pour Over Coffee Taste Better?
If you wish to experience coffee in its natural best and purest self, a pour-over style is a way to go! While different people prefer different strengths of coffee, I feel it’s how you measure your coffee and the way your grind your beans that impacts the overall experience.
Some coffee enthusiasts swear by this method and they will not settle with anything else. If you eliminate the paper filter, you can get a more natural flavor because the filter is so fine that it doesn’t allow the cacao oils to drip into the vessel.
While this definitely takes more time to brew, the results are totally worth it. If you wish to celebrate the experience of brewing coffee in an authentic way, try the pour-over method. This can create a new enjoyable ritual for preparing your jitter juice.
If you are too pressed for time for the ritual, you may still try it over the weekends to pamper your taste buds and intoxicate your senses with the heavenly taste and aroma.
What To Look For In The Best Pour Over Coffee Makers?
Single Serve Or Multi-Serve
The brewing capacity may be an important point to consider before buying a pour over. If you are looking to brew just one or two cups, a single-serve may be perfect. However, if you wish to brew for the entire family or frequently have guests at home, you may want to buy a multi-serve device.
If you are a pro at coffee making and like to experiment with your brew, you may consider the coffee makers that come with easy customizing options to improve your brewing experience.
Reusable Filters Or Filter Papers
This is another important consideration because using new filter papers every time can add up to the expense and also impact the environment. However, if you like the convenience offered by paper filters then you may choose to go with it.
If you do not mind reusing the filters, you can save a lot of money and also enjoy great coffee. Unlike the paper filters, the reusable ones do not absorb the natural oils and this seeps into the coffee, lending it an enhanced taste.
You can find pour overs that can range from less than $50 to over $100. So, decide your budget and look for the product that suits it. While there are some electric pour-overs that may cost more than $100, you don’t necessarily need to spend high to get the best results.
The Chemex Classic Series – 3-cups for example, costs less than $50 and delivers great coffee.
If you look online, you can find a plethora of brands and models to choose from. If you already have a brand in mind then go for it. If you are buying a pour over for the first time, make sure you read the customer reviews thoroughly.
A great product does not have to be expensive. You can get a good product at a reasonable price.
Top 3 Pour Over Coffee Brewers
1. Chemex Coffee Maker
As already mentioned above, the Chemex Coffee Maker is one of the traditional pieces of equipment used for brewing coffee. It employs the chemically right methods for making that perfect morning cuppa. With an elegant hour-glass shape, this coffee maker made of borosilicate glass that does not absorb any external odor or chemical residue.
While not entirely affordable, the Chemex Coffee Maker is perfect for those who see their coffee machine as an investment and love to boast their coffee-making skills in front of guests!
2. Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper
Just as the name suggests, this coffee dripper is placed over the cup and it allows your coffee to slowly drip as it brews. This method gives you full control over the water temperature and flow of the water to give you the right flavor and taste.
While the coffee maker comes in
3. Kalita Wave 185 Drippers
The innovative design of the wave series from Kalita makes it one of the best pour-over devices in the market. It comes with a three-hole dripping system which works as the core mechanism of this coffee maker. This pour-over brewer works best for those who don’t care much about controls and enjoy the convenience of just adding the grounds and letting the drip machine do the rest!
The Kalita Wave is available in stainless steel, ceramic, and glass materials so you may choose what you prefer. While this is not an inexpensive model, the ease of use makes it perfect even for those who have started their journey of pour-over coffee making.
Tips For Getting The Best Cup Of Joe Using Pour Over Coffee Makers
- Always use the freshly ground coffee beans because the pure aroma and flavor cannot be achieved with pre-packaged grounds.
- Buy the best quality beans for brewing coffee and do not be afraid to experiment with different varieties to find that perfect taste.
- While it may be tempting to grind beans beforehand to save time, this can result in the depletion of flavors. Grind them just before brewing and your taste buds will love you.
- Make sure you use the machine only as directed. If a particular brand tells you to buy a specific paper filter, stick to it. Using cheaper filters can spoil your Java.
- Invest in buying a good grinder that uses burr blades because unless you get the basics right, you cannot expect your coffee to taste great.
The Final Words
Pour overs are the perfect choice for those who wish to enjoy authentic coffee right at home. The rich flavor and aroma can beat the pod machines and they are so easier to brew coffee than barista-style devices.
If you ask a coffee fanatic like me, I will say it’s the process as a whole that makes pour over coffee so enjoyable. The sheer ritual of grinding the beans, smelling the fresh aroma, watching the grounds bloom as you pour hot water into it fills the heart with inexplicable pleasure.
If you have not tried the pour-over style before, you are certainly missing out on a significant aspect of coffee making. Get a Chemex coffee maker to enjoy the convenience and great taste of pristine coffee without breaking the bank. While the Chemex 3-cups is my top pick, the product is also available in 6, 8, and 10 cup variations.
If you aspire to be called a real home barista, a pour-over equipment is a must-have weapon in your brewing arsenal!