For centuries, ginseng tea has been used in traditional medicine to treat numerous ailments. Recent scholarship shows ginseng tea to be highly effective and good for your overall health. But what is ginseng tea?
Ginseng tea is a unique tea of Korean origin that comes from the root of the ginseng plant. Ginseng as a root and tea has many notable, proven health benefits and has played a role in traditional, homeopathic medicine for centuries. Sharp and earthy, ginseng tea has been a vital part of a healthy lifestyle around the world for over 2000 years.
Ginseng Tea: From Underground
The ginseng plant lives in the plant genus Panax and is native to Manchuria and Korea. The ginseng plant is perennial, an herb known for its strong roots.
There are multiple different varieties of the ginseng plant, including American ginseng, which grows in portions of northern, eastern, and midwestern regions of North America. The ginseng plant is known as a medicinal herb.
Each plant typically grows from three to five leaves that could be whole, toothed, or lobed. The leaf shape depends wholly on the ginseng species. Ginseng’s leaves die back in the autumn and grow back in the spring.
The vast and curious history of ginseng tea dates back longer than the historical record can comprehend. Digging into the plant’s background will help illuminate the importance of ginseng culturally and medicinally.
Ginseng Tea Background
The first known written record of ginseng dates back about 2000 years. However, the plant played an important role in Asian cultures long before that time. Many records suggest that ginseng was an essential part of trade and healthcare in places like Korea and China, as far back as 4500 years.
Since its first appearance in the historical record, ginseng tea has remained popular for its incredible health benefits. Because of its natural advantages, ginseng has long dominated Asian markets. It’s a significant export product and is distributed all over the world.
American ginseng has similarly proven to be exceptionally popular. As early as the 1700s, the plant came into American markets as a stable trade good. People like Daniel Boone were known for earning fortunes from the ginseng market.
Because Asian ginseng doesn’t grow well on American soil, discovering American ginseng was a crucial step toward increasing the market's viability. Wild ginseng is an incredibly valuable commodity, and its constant presence on world markets shows that to be the case.
If you love green tea, you might also be interested in our guide on what is EGCG in green tea.
What Is Ginseng Tea: The Details
Ginseng tea comes from the root of the ginseng plant instead of being made from the plant's leaves. The tea is an herbal infusion made from the ground root powder of ginseng, dried Korean chestnuts, and jujubes.
The traditional tea process includes extraction through decoction, which means the plants are cooked down in the water on low heat for a few hours. This process extracts the essence of the plants into the water.
Ginseng tea also comes premade as a loose-leaf tea or in tea bags for convenience. Some of the best ginseng teas come from organically-sourced ingredients grown on farms specific to the product. Such a high level of dedication guarantees that the tea in question derives from the best sources possible.
Known to have various health benefits, ginseng tea has long been used in traditional medicine to treat everything from low energy to high blood sugar.
Ginseng Tea Benefits
Records of the health benefits of ginseng tea have been around almost as long as the plant itself. Studies in more recent years back up what ginseng enthusiasts have known all along: ginseng tea is really good for you.
The ginsenosides in the plant are believed to help increase insulin production and improve insulin resistance. Ginseng supposedly helps lower blood sugar. Because of this particular property, it could also be helpful in the treatment of diabetes.
There is a strong link between the use of ginseng and a more robust immune system. In particular, ginseng appears to be good for lung health overall. It’s also noted that ginseng might help prevent you from catching the flu.
Ginsenosides, ginseng’s active component, play a crucial role in reducing inflammation in the human body. The same features might help improve your thinking and processing skills, making you more mentally cognizant and efficient.
There are many other proven and suggested health benefits to ginseng, including:
- Rich in antioxidants
- Promotes relaxation and reduces stress
- Potent aphrodisiac
- Immune system-boosting
- Potentially reduces the risk of certain cancers
- Helps increase energy
Ginseng tea is highly effective in improving your health overall, but it also has a pleasing flavor that makes it delightful to drink. You might also be interested in our explainer on can you put wheatgrass powder in your coffee.
Ginseng Tea: The Flavor Profile
Ginseng tea can be a little bitter, but the overall flavor leans more towards a robust earthiness that is quite pleasant. You can easily sweeten it with honey, and some ginseng teas come mixed with other complementary flavors, such as peppermint. Why not give it a go!
There are numerous teas that have health benefits such as green tea.
- Amaara’s GINSENG HERB TEA: 1 pack with Net wt. 36gms, contains 20 units of brew pacs, weight 1.8 gms each, Directions to Use-Pour 1 cup simmering hot water in your cup, dip 1 brew pac, allow 2-3 minutes for the tea to brew. Your everyday dose of optimum health is ready to revive you for the day. Add honey for a little sweetness. Do not add milk. Our herb brews are artfully crafted with 100% natural herbs, offering medicinal benefits, No caffeine, and No added preservatives.
- INGREDIENTS: We bring you a refreshing blend of organically sourced INGREDIENTS and sustainably grown herbs that brew into a cup of perfection. The signature ingredient of this artfully crafted herb brew is the Ashwagandha (also known as Indian Ginseng root), combined with the goodness of pure gold turmeric and ginger, artfully crafted in a brew of cinnamon and cardamom, to leave you with a burst of flavors, and a fine hint of musky notes. This herbal tea does not contain any caffeine.
- BENEFITS: The original taste of Indian Ginseng root, blended with nature’s flavor, comes with matchless BENEFITS for your mind, body and soul. This nutritious power packed brew helps you reduce stress, calms your mind and promotes relaxation. Also works wonders to improve heart health & immunity, manage diabetes and keeps digestive problems at a bay. Include this caffeine free, energy booster beverage in your morning & evening routine to reap the best benefits.
- AMAARA: Started its operations in 2019, we are India's first and one-of-a-kind, Herb based brand, that promises to deliver a perfect amalgamation of therapeutic benefits of herbs in the form of superfoods without compromising on your taste! Our artful blends are power-packed with nutritional benefits. We at AMAARA, organically source and curate, tasteful & blissful herbs blends that add a healing punch to your daily dose.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEED: We believe our products and their lasting benefits leave you satisfied and craving for more. But, if for some reason, you don’t like the taste, we offer No Questions Asked 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEED.
- Classic Herbal Teas Bags
- Heaven Earth Herb Tea
- FRESH FLAVOR: One box of 20 Pure Peppermint Herbal tea bags. Delight in the pure, refreshing taste of this warm, savory tea. Steep for four minutes for the perfect cup of peppermint tea.
- ONLY THE FINEST QUALITY: Our expert blenders source only the finest leaves cultivated to our exacting standards by trusted growers around the world. From these tea gardens we hand-select the leaves that will shape your next Twinings moment.
- PEPPERMINT TEA: Our blend is made from peppermint leaves sourced from Egypt. The fresh, minty taste of this savory tea is pure delight.
- RICH HISTORY: In 1706 Thomas Twining began selling fine tea from an English storefront in The Strand, London. Today, Twinings still sells teas from the original store and in more than 100 countries throughout the world.
- HAND SELECTED FOR YOUR HOME: Made without artificial ingredients, Twinings natural teas provide a wholesome tea experience. If you enjoy Bigelow Tea, Lipton Tea, Harney & Sons Tea, Davidson's Tea, or Prince of Peace Tea - try Twinings of London Tea.