Whether you call it dalgona coffee, whipped coffee, Phitti Hui coffee is a delicious beverage for everyone. Here is how to make Phitti Hui coffee.
Here is how to make Phitti Hui coffee, so you can get in on this social media trend.
- Equipment Needed To Make Phitti Hui Whipped Coffee
- Ingredients Needed To Make Phitti Hui Beaten Coffee
- Step-By-Step Guide For How To Make Phitti Hui Coffee
- Classic Phitti Hui Coffee Variations
- Phitti Hui Vs Dolgona Coffee
- Final Word On How To Make Phitti Hui Coffee
- FAQ About How To Make Phitti Hui Coffee
Equipment Needed To Make Phitti Hui Whipped Coffee
One thing that makes this drink appealing for Pakistani and Indian coffee drinkers is that you need very few ingredients or fancy equipment to make it. Even if all you have is a spoon, you can still create a foamy coffee drink by stirring the ingredients rapidly.
However, most of us don’t have the arm strength and endurance to make this beverage that way, so some basic kitchen equipment is helpful.
To make the drink that is sometimes called Indian cappuccino, an electric hand mixer is the best piece of equipment to have on hand. This basic, inexpensive kitchen appliance can help you whip the instant coffee powder into a froth quickly and easily.
You can also use a wire whisk or a spoon, but they both add significantly to your total time for preparation.
You will also need a mixing bowl, a tall glass, and measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredients Needed To Make Phitti Hui Beaten Coffee
One reason that this coffee drink is popular in places like Pakistan is that with just a few simple ingredients, anyone can have a beautiful, tasty, and fancy coffee drink. You do not have to have exotic ingredients if you know how to make them. To make this drink you only need five ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons of instant coffee. You can use any brand of instant coffee crystals, although, in Pakistan, they prefer Nescafe instant coffee. Instant espresso will work as well. You should not use regular ground coffee, because it will not whip up like the instant coffee crystals will.
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. You can substitute other sweeteners for the sugar. Brown sugar, coconut sugar, or even monk fruit sweetener will work, but it does need to be a granulated sweetener for the recipe to work well.
- 2 tablespoons boiling water.
- 1 cup of milk. You can use whatever type of milk that you prefer. Regular milk works great, but if you want a vegan version, you can use soymilk, oat milk, or almond milk. If you want a hot drink, warm the milk, but otherwise, just keep it cold.
- Ice cubes. This drink is good hot or cold. If you want a cold drink, you can add a little ice. Otherwise, just skip it.
Step-By-Step Guide For How To Make Phitti Hui Coffee
This recipe is show-stopping, so it has to be hard, right? Actually, no, making Phitti Hui coffee is very easy. It only takes a few simple steps.
Step 1. Whip It Up
Put the coffee crystals, sugar, and boiling water in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer or a wire whisk to beat the mixture. It will start out dark and runny and gradually lighten in color as it gets thicker and thicker. Turn the mixer up to a very high speed, and in just a few minutes, the mixture will be light, fluffy, and foamy.
Step 2. Sweeten To Taste
Taste the mixture and add extra sugar if you think it needs it. Beat the sugar into the mixture.
Step 3. Assemble The Drink
Add ice (if you’re making an icy drink) to a tall glass and pour the milk over it. For a hot drink, add hot milk. Scoop the whipped coffee over the milk in the glass.
Step 4. Stir And Enjoy
It’s pretty hard to drink Phitti Hui without stirring it because you will get foam all over your face. Stir the coffee foam into the milk with a spoon or straw and then sip it up.
Classic Phitti Hui Coffee Variations
You can jazz up the basic recipe in several ways. You can add a splash of flavored coffee creamer to the milk base of the glass. You may want to beat a few drops of vanilla extract into the whipped coffee.
Alternately, you can top the whipped coffee with a dusting of cocoa powder or a drizzle of caramel syrup. For a mocha-flavored drink, serve the whipped coffee foam over a glass of chocolate milk.
Phitti Hui Vs Dolgona Coffee
Phitti Hui is just another name for the same coffee drink as dalgona coffee. This drink has so many names that it’s hard to keep them straight, but they all mean the same thing. When you whip instant coffee, sugar, and water into a beautiful froth and serve it over milk, you can make Phitti Hui, dalgona coffee, whipped coffee, thick coffee, or even “quarantine coffee.”
Final Word On How To Make Phitti Hui Coffee
You don’t have to go to Starbucks or another specialty coffee shop to have a fancy, delicious coffee drink in just a few minutes of prep time. With our recipe for how to make Phitti Hui coffee, you can treat yourself or your foodie friends to this delicious coffee drink. Don’t forget to snap a selfie with your drink and post it on social media.
FAQ About How To Make Phitti Hui Coffee
Where Did This Recipe Originate?
While the name “Phitti Hui” is from Pakistan, this coffee drink has been made in various cultures all around the globe for many years.
While its current popularity is due to many Koreans sharing their technique for making whipped coffee on TikTok during 2020, no one is quite sure exactly who invented this frothy coffee beverage.
Can I Use Any Kind Of Coffee?
No, you can only use instant coffee powder. Instant coffee has properties that allow it to trap the air from the electric mixer and stabilize the foam.
Will A Milk Frother Work For Whipping The Coffee Froth?
You can give it a try, but a milk frother generally doesn’t whip the coffee froth quite enough to make a thick, whipped cream texture.