Wish to take your coffee to a new height? Here’s what you need to know about the best Nespresso machines to brew delicious espresso at home.
Many people have coffee makers at home but still prefer to walk to the coffee shop for a shot of rich espresso or cappuccino. Even if you wake up early, you may not want to rack your brains with the intricacies of grinding fresh beans, striking the perfect coffee-to-water ratio, and accurate water temperature for single-serve coffee. This is where a high-end Nespresso coffee machine comes to your rescue, as the quick brewing time and ease of use will help the most dedicated coffee drinker wake up in the morning.
A Nespresso can bring your coffee shop to your kitchen counter, but with so many gadgets and gizmos, you may find it difficult to find a product that reflects what you want. You would not want a machine that breaks down on the second cup or spend more than necessary to get a good cup of espresso.
Let’s cut the confusion and get straight to the point. In this article, I have included all that you need to know to buy the best Nespresso machine for you, including factors to consider, budget, features, and so on.
What To Look For In The Best Nespresso Machine
Nespresso machines can fulfill your dream of brewing barista-style espresso at home or the office, but you need to choose your product wisely. After years of tests and trials, I have come up with a checklist of things to look for when buying the best Nespresso Machine:
This is perhaps the most important point that will determine how happy you are with your purchase. Do you like black coffee or enjoy taking it with milk? If you prefer a certain style of coffee, like a latte, you might want to look for a Nespresso that comes with a steam wand.
Buying a product that requires you to steam milk separately may complicate the process and take more time!
While all the Nespresso machines accept coffee capsules, it is important to note that not all of them are compatible with every machine. If you like a particular brand or flavor, make sure you check its compatibility with the machine you wish to buy.
While most of the capsules come in a standard size, many Nespresso machines work on the barcode brewing mechanism, so you need to ensure that the product in question understands your favorite capsule.
Size And Design
While most people talk about the performance of Nespresso machines, let’s not forget that looks matter. Manufacturers offer a lot of color options for customers to pick the one that adds personality and elegance to the kitchen decor. When it comes to size, look for compact designs for the kitchen with limited space.
Fortunately, the new Nespresso machines boast attractive and compact designs that consume less counter space without compromising on the features. You might also be interested in our K-cups vs. Nespresso original pods guide.
Ease Of Use
One of the pros of Nespresso machines is you don’t need to purchase a grinder. The coffee is already ground in pre-packaged pods.
However, that doesn’t mean all the Nespresso models are effortless. There is no use for a Nespresso machine that cannot operate with ease or give you a quick cup of coffee in the morning.
The best Nespresso coffee makers have easy controls and are designed to brew a great cup of java with just a press of a button. You do not need to go through product manuals and messy rituals when you are busy preparing for a presentation at the office. Meanwhile, the most dedicated coffee lovers will prefer something that allows them to experiment with their brews.
Cleaning And Maintenance
This is almost similar to the ease of use. What good is a Nespresso machine if it is difficult to maintain and takes hours to clean? Look for models that are easy to clean in minutes and require low maintenance.
You may consider using a descaler on the weekends to clean thoroughly and increase the lifespan of your Nespresso device. Many models provide alerts when it’s time to descale, and the steam wands are self-cleaning after every use.
If you encounter any issues with your machine, a manufacturer warranty can be your lifesaver. Products that are covered with a longer warranty period offer less risk to the buyers. So, always look for the warranty offered by the manufacturer before buying a Nespresso machine.
How To Pick The Best Nespresso Machine
The modern machines pack several powerful features in a compact form to give you the best espresso experience without going to the coffee shop. You may want to look for features that meet your specific requirements. For example, if you have a big family and budget is not a constraint, you may look for devices that help you make espressos and cappuccinos at the same time.
The size of the cup is also another important feature to consider. If you are happy with short coffee, an original Nespresso machine may be enough. However, if you are looking for versatility and a pot of coffee to binge on weekends, consider the higher-end devices.
Your budget also matters. There is a good amount of price variation across different Nespresso machines, so you can find one within your budget. Nespresso pods can be pricey, too, so you will have to check if your machine of choice allows third-party coffee pods or not.
Lastly, pay attention to the size and the weight. You’ll have to pick a Nespresso machine that can fit comfortably in your kitchen and is easy to pick up if you need to move it.
1. Nespresso Essenza Plus
The Essenza Plus comes with a standard 19-bars of pressure that enables you to brew barista-style coffee right at home and enjoy the finest aromas and delicate flavors bursting from each capsule. The heat-up system is highly efficient, and you can achieve the perfect water temperature in less than 30 seconds. The right amount of pressure and temperature come together to deliver an unbeatable density and rich crema.
It boasts a water tank capacity of 33.8 oz. You can brew espresso, lungo Americano, and an extra-large Americano with the push of a button. The machine can also prepare hot water, so you can brew other drinks.
2. Nespresso Essenza Mini
If you think espresso machines are bulky, complicated, and difficult to use, the Nespresso Essenza Plus Espresso Machine by De’Longhi will change that opinion for good. It is one of the most compact and sleek Nespresso machines. Most importantly, the design and less counter space do not come at the cost of performance, so it is still one of the best espresso machines.
Whether you need an espresso or lungo, this device delivers with ease! The Essenza mini espresso machines offer two programmable cups, and they create the most flavourful coffee, just as you like it.
This Essenza brewer comes with easy-to-customize water levels and an auto shut-off feature, which takes the stress out of operating the device. If you wish to enjoy a good espresso without milk, this can deliver great value at a reasonable price.
3. Nespresso Pixie Espresso Machine
While the compact body and size make it look like a pixie among other espresso machines, don’t be fooled by its looks. It delivers top-notch espresso. The LED display indicates when the machine runs out of water, and the used capsule container can hold up to ten empty capsules.
The Pixie maker lets you enjoy a wide spectrum of flavors and aromas with 16 coffee capsules. Whether you are in the mood for tasty hazelnut or rich vanilla, this Pixie brewer has you covered.
You can add an Aeroccino milk frother to your purchase, so if you prefer a creamy latte or flat white, this can be a good buy. With the high-pressure pump, the machine creates Nespresso-brand pods that sit pretty atop the cup.
- ESPRESSO MACHINE: Enjoy a full range of espresso coffee with Nespresso! Includes a fast heating time of 25 seconds and energy saving automatic shut off.
- COFFEE SELECTIONS: Brew better coffee at home with two programmable buttons with automatic flow stop for Espresso and Lungo coffee preparations.
- FOR ALL COFFEE DRINKERS: Embody the expertise of Nespresso with a user friendly, classic Espresso machine. The Nespresso Pixie is a compact coffee maker, with a width of only 11 cm, it will fit any kitchen.
- INCLUDES: One Nespresso espresso maker with a compact design that is easy to place and move around in any kitchen.
- COMPLIMENTARY GIFT: Each machine includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
4. Nespresso VertuoLine Evoluo
To put it into one sentence – the VertuoLine Evoluo offers all benefits and customizing options of a high-end coffeemaker in a single server unit. With a 54-ounce removable water tank, you can enjoy espresso, double espresso, Gran Lungo, and a standard eight-ounce cup of Joe.
It uses Nespresso’s classic Centrifusion extraction technology to brew a quality cup of coffee by spinning the pod during the brewing process. It has the ability to scan the barcodes in Nespresso-brand capsules automatically and brew as per the accurate specifications.
5. Nespresso Gran Lattissima
For a coffee shop experience at home, the Nespresso Gran Lattissima machine is one of the top picks. This brewer whips up coffee and can froth milk without the need to purchase a separate frother.
This espresso maker can brew a standard espresso as well as ristretto and lungo sizes. You can then prepare espresso drinks such as a cappuccino, latte macchiato, and flat white at the touch of a button.
- One Touch Does it All: De'Longhi's patented One-Touch fresh milk technology combined with the premium Nespresso capsule system allows you to create perfect barista quality recipes every time at the touch of a button
- Premium Design: The Nespresso Gran Lattissima features a modern premium design using both matte and high gloss finishes with stainless steel accents and a beautiful glass touch panel
- Versatile: Choose from 9 one-touch beverages selections, including foamed milk recipes, flat milk recipes, and rich, creamy coffee and espresso recipes.
- Practical design: Sliding drip tray for different cup or glass sizes, removable milk container can be placed in refrigerator between uses.
- High-performance: 19 bar high-performance pump with fast heat-up system
6. Creatista Pro Coffee Machine
The Creatista Pro is for the experienced home brewer. As this machine comes with a milk frother, you can brew espresso and froth milk simultaneously. Serious coffee connoisseurs will be impressed with the 11 milk temperature settings and eight texture levels.
If you’re not confident in your coffee-making skills, you can follow the instructions on the screen to learn how to brew coffee and understand your machine. Once you’ve perfected a recipe, you can save your customized settings and enjoy it again and again.
- Please refer to user guide or user manual or user guide (provided below in PDF) before first use
7. Nespresso Creatista Plus
At first glance, you might wonder what the difference is between the Creatista Pro and the Creatisa Plus. The Pro has a larger water reservoir, so it’s best for those who want to make multiple cups of coffee at once. The Plus does allow for brewing coffee and steaming milk at the same time, so the process is a little slower. It also does not offer dual boilers.
For this reason, the Plus is a cheaper machine, but it still brews quality coffee. You can still control the milk temperature and texture and whip up the same drinks. It’s for those who love milky drinks but don’t consider themselves coffee snobs.
- Please refer to user guide or user manual or user guide (provided below in PDF) before first use
8. Nespresso Vertuo Next
The Vertuo machines are for those who prefer simple coffee drinks; nothing embodies this quite like the Vertuo Next. The compact machine can brew a simple espresso shot, double espresso, gran lungo, and a mug of coffee.
You’re not confined to one cup size. There is an adjustable cup holder, so you don’t need to worry about your coffee overflowing. It operates at the touch of a button, as the machine has a barcode instructing it how to brew your coffee down to the exact temperature and size.
- SIGNATURE COFFEES AND ESPRESSOS: Vertuo Next coffee maker offers a variety of coffee formats in 6 sizes, including 5, 8, 12 and 18oz coffees, as well as single and double espressos brewed hot or over ice.
- SLIM & SUSTAINABLE DESIGN: Nespresso’s newest innovation, Vertuo Next, is the most compact, sustainable, and smart Vertuo machine yet. It’s made of partially recycled materials, and is only 5.5 inches wide.
- AEROCCINO MILK FROTHER INCLUDED: The Nespresso Aeroccino3 provides smooth hot or cold milk frother for your cappuccinos and lattes in a few seconds with one touch.
- PRECISION BREWING: unlocks a smooth full bodied coffee topped with a velvety layer of coffee foam, for a perfect cup every time.
- PREMIUM COFFEE BLENDS: Nespresso offers an array of over 40 permanent specialty Vertuo coffees, from dark and strong to mild and smooth, as well as unique limited edition blends and flavors. A complimentary tasting pack is included with your machine (assortment may vary). Capsules exclusively compatible with Nespresso Vertuo machines.
9. Nespresso CitiZ
Although some Nespresso models are only compatible with Nespresso capsules, the Nespresso CitiZ is ideal for those looking to save money by using third-party pods. Just ensure that they are labeled Nespresso compatible before purchasing.
Remember, not all Nespresso pods are suitable for all Nespresso brand machines. In this instance, you cannot use Vertuo pods or Vertuo-compatible pods with the CitiZ brewer.
This machine has two drink options; lungo and espresso. However, you can still experiment with your drinks thanks to the removable drip tray if you’re using tall glasses. For example, simply brew an espresso shot and then use a separate milk frother to prepare a latte or another espresso-based drink.
- High performance: The 19 bar pump system offers barista-style single-serve coffee or Espresso every time, perfectly extracting the delicate flavor of each Espresso Original Coffee capsule
- Speed and Energy saving: the fast heat-up system reaches the ideal temperature in just 25 seconds. The automatic Energy saving function Switches the machine off after 9 minutes of inactivity and can be extended from 9 to 30 minutes
- Versatility: Adjustable cup size with two programmable Espresso (1. 35 oz. ) and Lungo (5 oz. ) buttons, making CitiZ a great coffee maker for all your single-serve coffee needs
- Design: citiz's look continues to Please both Espresso drinkers and design lovers, adding a touch of elegance to coffee rituals.
- Complimentary gift: Each machine includes a Espresso Original capsule welcome kit with a range of capsules with unique aroma profile..Power: 1710 Watt
10. Nespresso CitiZ & Milk
If your favorite type of coffee contains milk, then the CitiZ & Milk machine is for you. This model can brew espresso and lungo coffee and comes with a milk frother. The built-in Aeroccino creates hot milk froth automatically at the push of a button.
Like the original model, there is a removable drip tray for those using taller glasses. You might also be interested in our guide on how to refill Nespresso pods.
In order to choose the best Nespresso machines, we took a number of factors into consideration. We looked at customer reviews, prices, ease of use, versatility, and more when choosing the best Nespresso machines.
Why You Can Trust Me
Here at Full Coffee Roast, we’re self-proclaimed coffee snobs. We pay attention to the finer details, so you don’t have to.