Are you trying to find the best coffee for Keurig? This article explores what to look for and how to make the best k cups choice for your Keurig brewer.
The rise of single-serve brewing machines has taken the world by surprise. Keurig brewers are gaining more and more popularity among people who don’t want to make a full pot of coffee –but who also may find some other single-serve brewing methods to be too much effort. But when it comes to your Keurig, how do you find the best coffee?
The best coffee for Keurig machines balances price and quality, and once you know what to look out for, you can enjoy a great cup of coffee every time you load up your machine. Read on to find out more!
What Makes Keurig Coffee Great?
When the first single-serve brewers started coming out, many looked at the innovation as a solution in search of a problem–but their increasing popularity indicates that many people want the ability to make a cup of coffee at a time.
So in addition to the convenience of being able to make just enough coffee without having to brew a whole pot, the Keurig machine also means that you can make five different cups of coffee (or, depending on preferences, coffee, and tea, or hot chocolate) for five different people, in a short period of time and all on the same machine.
There are some drawbacks, of course: while there’s less chance of wasting coffee, there is the increased waste of the single-serve K cups, and sometimes some issues of being able to clean the machine thoroughly.
Fortunately, there are ways to address both of these issues. But what about finding the best coffee k cups or pods for your machine? There are a few factors to consider.
How To Choose Coffee For Keurig
When choosing coffee for your Keurig, there are a few things to keep in mind compared to buying coffee for other brewing methods. For example, K cups are a more expensive option than bags of coffee beans or ground coffee. Still, the popularity of Keurig machines does mean that options exist at a variety of price points.
You should also consider to what degree variety is important to you. For example, several brands offer a variety of packs with multiple regions and roasts, alongside packs of single blends or even single-origin coffees in pods.
Of course, you should also consider overall quality and what the resulting coffee will be like. While price isn’t necessarily a predictor of quality (for example, many store-brand products are actually produced by premium brands), you want to ensure that the quality of both the coffee and the k cups you buy is high–and that the cups will be compatible with your machine.
The Best Coffee For Keurig Machines
I tend to find that the best coffee pods for Keurig machines tend to keep things simple. Of course, there are premium brands that make an excellent k cup, but overall what I want from my Keurig is a relatively simple cup of coffee. Here are my favorites:
The Original Donut Shop Coffee Pods: This is one of my go-to choices for Keurig because it’s very simple, balanced, and satisfying. The Original Donut Shop is a solid medium roast blend: bold enough to be satisfying, with light acidity and enough sweetness to drink black. The cups are recyclable, which is definitely a plus in my book.
- BRAND STORY: Dive headfirst into a cup of delicious coffee. With our full-bodied taste, you can reimagine the limits of coffee and turn every day into a treat -no matter how sweet and creamy you make it. Drink up and set your taste buds to discovery mode.
- TASTE: Full-bodied, bold, and flavorful, our Regular coffee is, quite simply, a cup full of happiness.
- ROAST: Medium Roast caffeinated coffee and is certified Orthodox Union Kosher
- SUSTAINABILITY: Committed to 100 percent responsibly sourced coffee
- RECYCLABLE K-CUP PODS: Simple. Delicious. And Recyclable. Enjoy the same great-tasting coffee you know and love, and when you’re done just peel, empty and recycle. Check locally, not recycled in all communities. Packaging may vary.
The price is very reasonable, with bulk-buying options and ready availability across multiple stores, including, of course, Amazon. As a starting point for Keurig brewing, it’s one of my very favorites.
Starbucks Black Coffee Variety Pack: Starbucks is a more premium brand, so this option is more expensive than some others. However, it’s worth the price: 60 k cups across 6 of Starbucks’ signature roasts, including Pike Place, Caffè Verona, Breakfast Blend, Sumatra, and House Blend.
- The Starbucks Black Coffee Variety Pack includes French Roast, Caffe Verona, Sumatra, Pike Place Roast, House Blend and Breakfast Blend
- Six full-bodied Dark and Medium Roast coffees that are smooth and balanced with rich flavors
- Stock up on this variety of Starbucks roasts in your office or at home
- Starbucks Black Coffee Variety Pack includes 6 boxes of 10 for a total of 60 individual K-Cup pods
- Starbucks K-Cup pods are designed for use with the Keurig Single Cup Brewing System
There aren’t any light roasts, but the selections span several dark and medium roast options, which help you choose the tastes you like. I’m partial to the Pike Place roast for Keurig, but each of the recyclable k cups has something to offer, and of course, the coffee is the high quality you’d expect from Starbucks.
Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend K Cups: While the price point on these is somewhat higher than other brands, it’s still very reasonable overall. And of course, I’m a fan of Major Dickason’s Blend in general, so this was an easy sell for me.
- Major Dickason's Blend: Conceived by Mr. Peet and his most discerning customer, Major Dickason’s Blend has become the coffee that epitomizes the rich, flavorful taste of Peet’s
- Flavor & Roast: Incomparable world blend, rich, complex, and full-bodied. Dark roast
- For Keurig Brewers: Peet's recyclable K-Cup Pods are compatible with all Keurig K-Cup Brewers
- Peet's Commitment: To achieve our signature rich flavor, we source the world’s best coffee beans, hand-roast them in small batches, and uphold the strictest standard of freshness
- Quality Guaranteed: 100% Arabica Coffee, Certified Kosher
I was surprised that it translates as well as it does to k cup proportions because I have found that some darker roasts tend to lose a little magic in the k cup format. The cups are recyclable and are compatible across all Keurig brewers.