Looking for the best coffee for keto diet goals? This article will guide you in making your choice. Read on to find out more.
More and more people are turning to the ketogenic diet, also known as the keto diet, in the hopes of losing inches from their waistlines and making health gains by eliminating most carbohydrates. One excellent thing about the diet: coffee is not just allowed but encouraged. But if you’re looking to switch to keto, you might be wondering if some coffees are better than others.
This article will go over what to look for in a good keto coffee and a few details of how the keto diet handles coffee, in general, to help you make an informed choice on the best coffee for the ketogenic diet.
Coffee And Keto: What You Need To Know
There are many diets out there, all promising weight loss and health benefits, and the ketogenic diet are no different. What sets the keto diet apart is that while many diets discourage coffee drinking, keto is largely in favor–as long as you drink your coffee in an approved way.
That means, first of all: no sugar. There are many keto-friendly sweeteners and syrups out there to satisfy your sweet tooth, but in general, the advice is to avoid sweetening your coffee altogether if you can.
Instead, most ketogenic diet adherents swear by either heavy cream, grass-fed butter, or something called MCT oil (where MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides). Some folks will even combine butter and MCT oil into their coffee to make “bulletproof coffee” and claim it’s the perfect way to start the day.
Then too, black coffee is absolutely fine on the keto diet.
What To Look For In Keto Coffee
Whether you’re planning on going for black coffee or lightening up your coffee with one of the keto-approved options, you’ll want certain traits to make the drinking experience as pleasant as possible. We’ve covered the best coffee for black coffee before on the site, but I think that coffee for the keto diet needs a few other distinguishing factors.
Most of the coffee brands that market specifically to keto diet adherents opt for higher-than-usual caffeine, but in my opinion, this isn’t really necessary. The easiest way to get more caffeine out of a cup of coffee is to use robusta beans instead of arabica, and for a standard cup of coffee, I’m not much of a fan.
Overall, when looking for the best coffee for keto diets, you want something smooth, rich-tasting, and not too acidic. I tend to prefer medium roasts since they’re equally good black or with cream (or butter!). Now onto some of my favorites.
Best Coffee For Keto Diets (My Picks)
There are many different options in finding the best coffee for the keto diet, but these are a few of the coffees I’ve sampled and enjoyed the most in the keto-approved coffee methods.
Four Sigmatic Adaptogen Ground Coffee
A lot of the keto-friendly coffees on the market have various add-ons, whether it’s instant coffee powders with MCTs or grass-fed butter blended in or supplements for increased fat loss or other properties. This coffee includes a bevy of supplements from ashwagandha root to Chaga and herbs with the goal of helping to relieve stress while still giving you a caffeinated buzz.
- [BREWS MEDIUM WITH NOTES OF NUTTY CARAMEL] Each brew creates a delicious cup of medium roast, flavorful coffee. But the decadence of this java is just the beginning. That coffee beverage is infused with four unbelievably calming adaptogens supplements, creating an astoundingly effective, stress-supporting cocktail.
- [THE AYURVEDIC ABILITY OF ASHWAGANDHA] We’re all more stressed out, more connected, and more “plugged in” than ever before. Organic Ashwagandha extract, also known as “Indian Ginseng,” has been used for centuries in traditional medicine for its stress reducing, adaptogenic benefits, claims that have recently been backed up in scientific research. We’ve combined this extraordinary extract with organic Eleuthero root extract (Siberian Ginseng), and organic Holy Basil extract (Tulsi) to create this mind-calming, body-balancing, delicious, medium roast coffee.
- [RISE AND REALLY, TRULY SHINE] Each cup contains 250mg of wild-harvested, organic Chaga. Known as "The King of Mushrooms," Chaga got its title from its incredible immune-supporting effects. Chaga is absolutely loaded with antioxidants. In fact, it is one of the most antioxidant-dense foods on the entire planet!
- [HALF THE CAFFEINE, ALL THE GOODNESS] We paired decaffeinated coffee from Peru with full-strength coffee from Honduras to create a lower caffeine blend. Both are from organic fair trade cooperatives located 3,900 to 5,900 feet above sea level. These specialty-grade, single origin coffee beans brew a smooth, medium-roast, low acid coffee.
- [SCIENTIFICALLY SPEAKING, THIS COFFEE IS PRETTY MUCH MAGIC] Adaptogens and functional mushrooms have been used around the world for centuries for productivity, stress relief, immune defense, and more. Unfortunately, the majority of the mushroom supplement market aren't mushrooms at all, but rather the mycelium (basically the root system). At Four Sigmatic, we bring only the best of nature to your daily routine, so we always use the mushrooms' fruiting bodies which contain 15x more active ingredients than the mycelium!
But for me, the attraction is the smooth, rich flavor of the medium-roast Colombian coffee beans. It is pre-ground, so less of a good option if you don’t drink a lot of coffee, but if you go through about a pound a week, this is a solid starting point.
The Mentalist Medium Dark Roast
This coffee comes under the Bulletproof brand, and it’s on the darker side of what I’d recommend for those looking to drink their coffee the keto way. According to Bulletproof, their Clean Coffee process ensures a jitter-free experience by excluding impurities. Organic and Rainforest Alliance certified, the blend of Latin American beans makes a complex, satisfying cup of coffee that’s great black or lightened with the keto-approved addition of your choice.
- Medium Dark Roast Whole Bean Coffee: Caffeinated coffee with distinct notes of cinnamon, plum, and orange with a cocoa hazelnut finish
- High Quality Beans: Expertly-picked by hand to provide the highest quality beans and maintain maximum integrity and flavor, following organic practices without the negative financial impact a certification has on local farmers
- Certified Clean: Tested for impurities to help to keep your coffee pure and clean; Keeps you jitter free
- Sustainable Standards: Rainforest Alliance Certified using ingredients and best practices that support farm, forest communities and families
- Whole Bean: Adjust your grind to your preference (Packaging May Vary)
Kauai Coffee Koloa Estate Medium Roast
I am a big fan of Hawaiian coffee in general: the volcanic soils and the unique climate makes for an uncommonly smooth cup. Kauai Coffee’s Koloa Estate roast is rich and flavorful, with a deep aroma and a balanced, smooth taste. It’s great for drinking black, and it’s just as good lightened up with some heavy cream–you don’t lose the nuances of the Hawaiian beans or the roast.