Though it is subjective, some of their cups of Joe pack a more robust punch than the rest. Read on to know which Peet’s Coffee product is the strongest.
The term “strong” doesn’t have much meaning in the world of coffee. Every coffee drinker has their own tastes and preferences. Personally, my definition of strong coffee means having that robust flavor and bitterness you often find in medium to dark roasts, but for others, it is all about the bright acidity and caffeine content in light to medium roasts.
Though Peet’s Coffee is known for its dark roasts and bold flavor, they have since expanded its array of products to ensure it can cater to every coffee lover. So, which Peet’s coffee product is the strongest? Let’s dig in.
1. Luminosa Breakfast Blend Light Roast
Starting off the list, one of the light roast options Peet’s Coffee has released is the Luminosa Breakfast Blend Light Roast. The beans used for this blend come from Ethiopia and the Huila Region in Colombia, where they are grown at 4,500 ft. above sea level. Luminosa can be translated to bright, which eloquently describes its flavor profile and acidity.
The blend features the floral notes often found in Ethiopian coffee beans and hints of apricot and other stone fruits that bring out a tender sharpness with every sip. A chocolate undertone mixed with these flavors perfectly rounds up the java. You can learn more about these types of coffee beans and why it matters by checking out our article on high-altitude coffee!
Light, sweet, aromatic. Luminosa means “shining" or "bright,” and this blend enlightens the subtle sweetness of Colombia with just the right touch of Ethiopian floral aromatics
2. Major Dickason’s Blend Dark Roast
What is left to say about Peet’s iconic dark-roasted Major Dickason’s Blend? It remains their best seller for a reason. A cup of this dark roast coffee offers an immaculate aroma that can control the room and a robust flavor that is perfect for black coffee lovers who are looking for a strong and full-bodied cup.
The specific coffee beans used remain a mystery but are believed to have come from somewhere in Latin America and the Indo-Pacific region. Regardless, its deep chocolate hints accentuated with a tinge of spice and a pleasant nuttiness and earthiness make this a cup of Joe worth trying.
- Rich and complex
- A pack of 12-Ounce Bag
- This premier blend is our all-time bestseller
- Pack of 2
3. Baridi Blend Medium Roast
If you ever find yourself enjoying a cold brew in a Peet’s Coffee bar, it is sure to be a Baridi Blend. Its name means “cold” in Swahili, a language spoken in the African countries of Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, and Ethiopia. Fittingly, these are where the coffee beans used for this smooth blend were procured.
Though they shine more when made into cold brews, serving this medium roast coffee hot doesn’t take anything away from its bright flavor profile that African coffee beans are known for. Its majestic notes of white flower and citrus fruits bring a crisp texture and natural sweetness to the cup, summed up with a toffee-like aftertaste that lingers.
- Your favorite Coffee Flavors available roasted when you order
- Baridi Blend
- For the lover of cold brew comes this refreshingly crisp, artfully crafted blend of bold, juicy East African coffees.
- Whole Bean
- Medium Roast
4. Costa Rica Aurora Blend Light Roast
Peet’s Coffee loves Latin American and African fusions when it comes to lightly roasted coffee beans. The Costa Rica Aurora Blend is another great choice.
The ingredients for this blend hail from the mountainous regions of Kenya and the high-altitude farms of Tarrazu and Naranjo. These are two major coffee regions in Costa Rica where the coveted strictly hard beans are found.
The sweetness makes up for the acidity of this java. The Costa Rican beans bring a fruity lemon bar-like flavor to the cup, mingling with the notes of dark berries and muscovado sugar found in Kenyan coffee. What you get is a slightly medium body cup that is surprisingly light yet has an intense flavor.
You might also be interested in our guide on the best Kenyan coffee brands.
- The grade of costa rica we selected for aurora, like the Colombia we roast in luminosa, is the top grade, strictly hard bean fancy, from the highlands of tarrazu, or Naranjo, wherever we can find the double sweet, lemon bar intensity of a great costa.
- We round the flavor of aurora, and enhance its aromatic dimension, with a floral flourish of silky Kenya.
- Costa rica is the star of a blend that Kenya renders celestial, just as Ethiopia enlightens Colombia in our elegant luminosa.
- Peet's costa rica aurora has layers of dark, silken berry with a bright, clean citrus sweetness.
5. French Roast Dark Roast
The coffee company has mastered the art of dark roast, and it shows with its French Roast. Alfred Peet was never fond of the very dark roast. Still, this signature blend may have convinced him otherwise.
Using only high-quality Arabica beans from Latin America; this surprisingly medium-body cup packs a strong and robust taste that black coffee lovers will enjoy.
The dark blend features a deep dark chocolate note with a heavy smoky overtone that is sure to wake you up regardless of the time of day. It has an interesting burnt sugar sweetness to it that envelopes the cup of Joe, something that is very hard to find in other French Roast brands.
If you are looking for that perfect bittersweet combo in a cup, you just found it. Learn more about this distinct coffee by knowing what French Roast coffee is!
- GREAT COFFEE TELLS A STORY: Whether you're brewing a pot of our popular Major Dickason's Blend, a classic French Roast, or trying a single-origin coffee like Brazil Minas Naturais or Sumatra, there's a story behind each batch of beans we roast & grind.
- OBSESSED WITH FRESH: From the beginning, Peet's Coffee has roasted the best coffee beans we can find with quality in mind. We also care for the communities that grow & harvest those beans, because coffee is better when it's grown & sourced responsibility.
- BREW LIKE THE BEST: Brewing the best cup of coffee starts with finding your favorite roast or blend. Whole beans or ground coffee, dark, medium or light, single origin or a blend? Try a variety & find the best brew for the morning mug or afternoon pickup.
- LIGHT, MEDIUM & DARK ROAST: Brew a pot of Peet's ground or whole bean coffee in a blend & roast perfect for your tastes. Light roast coffees are mild & smooth, medium roast coffees are smooth & aromatic, while dark roast coffees are smoky & full bodied.
6. Big Bang Medium Roast
It all started with the big bang, as they say. Alfred Peet is regarded in the world of craft and specialty coffee as the one who started it all, and this signature blend is a proper commemoration. The Big Bang Medium Roast is made from the bright coffee beans of Ethiopia and Latin America and was released for the company’s 50th anniversary in 2016.
The medium-body highlights hints of tropical citrus fruits and berries combined with creamy chocolate notes wrapped up with a nutty and somewhat malty undertone. It has a rich and vibrant flavor without an overpowering bitterness which makes this a strong cup of Joe that most coffee lovers can enjoy.
- Some have described Alfred peet as the "big bang" of craft coffee - the one who started it all.
- In celebration of our 50th year, we're honoring his legacy by taking a bold step ahead.
- Our new signature blend expands the horizon of what coffee can be: vibrant, full-flavored, boldly original, and roasted to medium-bodied perfection.
- Peet's big bang is a tribute blend with natural Ethiopia roasted to bright, sweet, medium-bodied perfection.
7. Sulawesi-Kalosi Dark Roast
Moving away from the blends on the list is the single-origin coffee Sulawesi-Kalosi Dark Roast hailing from the mountainous region of South Sulawesi in Indonesia that is cultivated using the traditional Torajan methods. This cup of Joe is rich and full-bodied with a distinct and robust taste despite it being low acidity.
The cup has a pleasing cacao aroma, and its flavor profile is a delight, featuring a pleasant earthy and nutty taste blending with a distinct spicy zing associated with most Indonesian coffee. The sweetness in this cup is subtle but nonetheless delivers a smooth and rich flavor with every sip.
8. House Blend Dark Roast
They say if you want to have a taste of Peet’s style of coffee, the House Blend is an ideal introduction. It is a strong cup of Joe but is a balanced one as it has a tolerable acidity level and is medium-bodied.
This signature blend is an amalgamation of Guatemalan, El Salvadorian, Nicaraguan, and Costa Rican coffee beans. When brewed, the bright hints of citrus fruits play with the rich and toasty chocolate notes to bring a smooth yet bold cup of Joe. The aftertaste of all these flavors lingers, and it has that tinge of spiciness that gently jolts you awake.
- Contains one (1) 12 Ounce Bag of Peet's House Blend Ground 100% Arabica Coffee. Packaging may vary for a limited time.
- Flavor and Roast: Dark Roast. Smooth, satisfying, sweet. The perfect introduction to our signature style -- strictly high-grown, finest quality, and deeply roasted to maximize flavor
- Brewing Methods: Our ground coffee is perfectly suited to make drip or a pour over in your Chemex. For other brewing methods - espresso, cold brew, or French press - consider our whole bean coffees and griding at home
- Sourcing With Impact: The coffee you buy can impact the welfare of the people and planet. Peet’s is actively engaged in driving positive impact in communities where our coffees are grown
- Freshness You Can Fact Check: Freshly roasted coffee means a more flavorful cup. We print the roast date on each and every bag for maximal transparency, and ensure you receive it within 90 days for the optimal experience