Are you wondering what is Illy coffee? Illy is an Italian coffee brand offering espresso and various other coffee products. They are one of the world's top brands, providing a top-class experience, from customer service to taste.
When my friend moved to Europe after closing down her coffee shop in the US, she discovered Illy and declared it the best coffee she’d ever had. Illy coffee has become a beloved brand of Italian espresso worldwide, mainly because of its rich and complex flavor profile and extreme freshness.
About the Illy Coffee Company
The Illy Coffee Company was founded in 1933 by Francesco Illy, born in what is now Timișoara, Romania. The company is currently based in Trieste, Italy, and is still family-owned.
In 1935, the Illy family decided to focus on espresso. Around that time, Francesco Illy invented the first automatic coffee machine. This machine used compressed air instead of steam to make espresso and pull shots. It was named the Illetta and was the catalyst for the creation of many espresso machines commonly used in coffee shops across the world today.
Their innovative pressurized and oxygen-resistant containers keep the coffee incredibly fresh, which provides export success.
Dr. Illy also created the first pre-measured espresso pods in 1974.
What is Illy coffee? Illy coffee comes in several forms:
- Pre-ground coffee for coffee makers, Moka pots, and espresso machines
- Whole-bean coffee
- Instant coffee
- Capsules and pods
- Ready-to-drink cold brew
The Arabica coffee that Illy uses comes from the following countries:
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
In 2019, Illy expanded to the United States, opening cafes and production plants throughout the country. They even collaborated with Italian-American gelato shops to get their coffees into stores offering affogato, or ice-cream-topped, options.
The Pros and Cons of Illy Coffee
Illy coffee is a household name that has gained respect from coffee aficionados worldwide. While Illy makes high-quality coffee, it still has both pros and cons.
Some of the most notable pros of Illy coffee include:
- Their coffees come in decaf and regular versions.
- Their coffee comes in grinds suitable for coffee makers, Moka pots, or espresso machines.
- Their Arabica coffees come from a variety of origins.
- They have a variety of coffee maker coffees for different tastes.
- Their roast levels have a good selection and variety.
- Illy offers a subscription service for loyal customers that delivers right to your home.
- There are many Illy coffee forms available.
- Illy has reasonable coffee prices when purchasing beans.
- Illy is available at cafes and in local supermarkets.
A few main cons of buying Illy coffee are:
- There are no light roasts available since light roast is not popular in the Italian coffee culture.
- There is a small whole-bean selection available.
- Classico Medium Roast: Composed of 9 of the finest Arabica coffee sources worldwide, Classico, Medium Roast is our classic roast coffee has a lingering sweetness and delicate notes of caramel, orange blossom and jasmine.
- World’s Most Ethical Coffee: illy caffè was named on Ethisphere’s list for the seventh consecutive year, among just a handful of honorees in the beverage industry, highlighting illy’s achievement of leading with integrity.
- 100% Arabica Coffee: We could offer you every roast and blend under the sun, but we’d rather give you the perfect one. We’ve spent eight decades refining a singular, signature blend of ground coffee—celebrated as the pinnacle of what coffee can be.
- Unique Pressurized Coffee Packaging: Our unique pressurized packagaing preserves the flavor and complexity of the illy blend while enhancing the coffee’s aroma and ensuring optimal freshness.
- Sip. Savor. Be Inspired: illy believes in sustainable quality and boasts more than 30 years dedicated to perfecting coffee bean growing methods to obtain a harvest that is socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable and responsible.
The Delicious Taste of Illy
Sweet, velvety, balanced, and rich, most Illy coffee can be categorized as fruity, floral, and decadent. The taste notes include caramel, chocolate, cherries, toast, almonds, honey, and sometimes even brown sugar. Because of these flavors, many people choose to drink the coffee black or only with milk — forgoing sweetener.
How to Make an Italian Illy Tiramisu Espresso
Whether you want to treat yourself at the end of a long workday or want to introduce your friends and family to a decadent Italian treat, an Italian Illy Tiramisu Espresso is the perfect way to go. To make this unique and festive beverage, you will need to prepare it with the following ingredients:
- 2 Illy espresso shots
- 2 scoops of vanilla gelato
- 2 ladyfinger cookies crumbled up in a bowl
- Unsweetened cooking cocoa powder
- A spoon for mixing
- A mug
- Hot water
- An espresso machine
To make the Italian Illy Tiramisu Espresso, simply follow these steps:
- Pull 2 espresso shots.
- Place the espresso into a small pitcher or cup.
- Put the cookies and gelato in a small blender.
- Blend ingredients together for 30 seconds or until thick.
- If the mixture becomes too liquidy, add some ice, cookies, or ice cream until a thick texture emerges.
- Pour into your favorite mug and top with cocoa powder.
- Sip or taste with a spoon and enjoy!
Consider experimenting with your own new recipe, from an Illy Mocha hot chocolate to a martini featuring rich Illy brewed coffee, if this drink is a hit.
If you loved this article check out What's Better For Portable Espresso: AeroPress Vs. Delter Coffee Maker.