This article answers, “What is coffee fruit?”, lists its health benefits, and provides instructions for a surprisingly good cake that you can make from it.
As a coffee enthusiast, I thought I knew everything about the bean scene. It turns out I don’t. Recently, I discovered the existence of coffee fruit. Often called coffee cherries, they are the fruit of the coffee tree.
Coffee beans are extracted from the center of the fruit. However, the pulp then tends to be discarded as it plays no further role in the drinkable coffee creation process.
Coffee fruit is now staking its own claim in the coffee market. It has emerged as a superfood in the world of health and wellness and is used in supplements, juices, and herbal teas.
It is even possible to make a cake out of coffee fruit. I used it for this last purpose and was not disappointed.
What Is Coffee Fruit?
Coffee fruit grows around coffee beans. If you are like most people, then you have probably never been on a coffee farm.
But you may have seen cherries growing on trees. The way that cherry flesh grows around the fruit pit is the way that coffee fruit grows around coffee beans.
The reason why coffee fruit has become all the rage is because of its health benefits. These lie in a protein called BDNF. This protein helps with the repair and growth of neurons in your brain, leading to healthier brain function.
Nutritional Benefits Of Consuming Coffee Fruit
The reason coffee fruit is held in such high regard in healthy living circles is primarily due to its high nutritional value. The coffee fruit is high in several components, including:
- Vitamin B12
- Quinic acid
- Chlorogenic acid
All of these nutrients play an important role in the general health and well-being of our bodies. While there is a lot more research to be done in terms of the quantity and regularity of consumption, early findings all show that coffee fruit is something everybody should introduce to their diet.
Health Benefits Of Coffee Fruit
It is now known that this fruit has numerous health benefits, including the following:
1. High In Antioxidants
Coffee fruit is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols. Why is this important? Your body works better with antioxidants.
They help neutralize harmful compounds known as free radicals. If there are too many of these in your body, they can cause cell damage and chronic disease over time.
2. Consuming Coffee Fruit Can Boost Your Immunity.
Studies have shown that eating coffee fruit can improve immune function and slow the development of cancerous cells.
3. Promotes Fat Loss
The research in this area is limited but promising. Coffee fruit is rich in chlorogenic acid, which does contribute to weight loss and fat burning. One 12-week study in 150 people who are overweight found that the intake of coffee fruit decreased both body and belly fat.
More studies are needed before any definitive claims can be made about the health benefits of the coffee fruit. However, all signs point to a positive relationship between the fruit and well-being.
You should also bear in mind that coffee fruit contains caffeine. So, if you are sensitive to caffeine, you should limit your intake.
The Uses Of Coffee Fruit
Coffee fruit tea, coffee fruit powder, and coffee fruit extract are all the rage in health and nutrition stores. You can use these products in your morning tea or fruit juice. Indeed, numerous commercial fruit juice and tea products have coffee fruit in them.
- ✅ PREMIUM ORGANIC COFFEEBERRY POWDER: 30 Servings Per Container. The Serving Size is 3g per 1 Scoop. 30 Day supply. Vegetarian/Vegan, 100% Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO, gluten-free. Super pure powder is the third party tested to ensure you’re getting all the good stuff. Coffeeberry is a registered trademark of VDF FutureCeuticals, Inc.
- ✅ HIGH IN ANTIOXIDANTS & BRAIN HEALTH SUPPORT: High in Antioxidants, Supports Brain Health, Healthy Memory, Cognitive Health, Energy, Healthy Metabolism, Skin Health Support*.
- ✅ HIGH-QUALITY INGREDIENTS & MAXIMUM BENEFITS: All of our products are specially formulated and are made from 100% Natural and Herbal Ingredients.
- ✅ 100% RISK-FREE! MONEYBACK GUARANTEE: If for any reason at all you are unhappy with your purchase, you’ll receive a no questions asked money-back guarantee within 30 days.
- 6 times more potent than green coffee bean extract supplements, packed with antioxidants for brain and body health.
- Supports BDNF (Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor), a key neurofactor that is brain enhancing and helps boost memory.
- Made in the USA from 100% pure kona coffee, this whole coffee fruit concentrate may also boost energy and support optimal health.
- If you like the boost you get from green coffee extract, you'll love the higher potency of our coffee berry extract - just add a few drops to your coffee or favorite drink.
- Liquid formula absorbs faster than green coffee bean powder or capsules and delivers 11 times the chlorogenic acid of green coffee extracts.
You can now get a coffee fruit smoothie from your favorite café. A range of fruity teas from the same establishment can also be made with coffee fruit.
You can also use coffee fruit to make a delicious dessert.
Coffee Fruit Cake
Coffee fruit cake is becoming an ever-more popular dish at dinner parties. I recently served it at one of mine, and my guests loved it.
Here is how to make it:
1. Pour a bag of mixed dry fruits of your choice into a large bowl.
2. Add 1 tsp of coffee fruit powder and 1 tsp of milk to it.
3. Mix all these ingredients well and cover the bowl with a cling film. It is better to let the dry fruits soak in the mixture overnight.
4. When it is time to cook your coffee fruit cake, preheat the oven to 320 degrees and place baking paper on a large cake tin.
5. You are now ready to prepare the cake batter. To do so, add self-rising flour, cocoa powder, and sugar to the soaked dry fruits and mixture you made the previous day.
6. Mix all this well.
7. Pour the cake batter on the cake tin.
8. Place the tin in the oven and let it bake for 55 minutes. You can check the status of the cake with a toothpick.
9. If it is still not ready at the 55-minute mark, let it stay for another 5 to 7 minutes.