Some people think it’s not possible to get coffee shop quality drinks at home, but nothing could be further from the truth. If you ever wondered how to make a perfect latte at home, you’re not alone.
Here’s an easy way to make this delicious caffeinated treat, right in your own kitchen, and the best part is you don’t need any fancy equipment.
How to Make Latte at Home
First, let’s start with the ingredients. You’ll need:
- Strong coffee or espresso coffee makes a latte with more flavor, but you can use any type of coffee you prefer to change up your latte recipe, even decaf.
- Here’s where you can get a little creative. All types of milk are suitable including skim milk, whole milk, or low-fat milk. If you don’t do dairy, use almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk instead. You can even use flavored milk if you want to bring a richer, sweeter flavor.
The only piece of equipment you need is a small kitchen whisk that fits neatly inside a coffee mug. Aluminum whisks tend to work better than silicone, though anything will do in a pinch.
Once you have all your ingredients collected, it’s time to get started! Here are four easy steps to making a latte at home.
1. Brew the Coffee
You can use any kind of coffee you want, but medium to medium-dark roasts work better than lighter blends.
2. Warm the Milk
While your coffee is brewing, heat the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. Use a microwave-safe mug.
3. Whisk the Milk
Once the milk is heated, use the small whisk to froth with. This takes anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds.
4. Make Magic
Get a clean mug and fill it up about ¾ of the way or so. Then, pour the foamed milk over the coffee.
The milk foam rises to the top and you have a pretty good version of a latte that’s easy to make, right in your kitchen.
Image source: Unsplash
If you like a little more flavor, there are plenty of ways to spruce up your latte. If you prefer sweet coffee you can add flavored coffee creamer to your milk before heating it in the microwave.
A vanilla latte is easy, too, just add ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract to the milk, heat, and voila! Would you prefer a mocha latte? Try using chocolate milk instead, or add a tablespoon or two of chocolate-flavored syrup to cold milk, then heat.
Coffee Makers that Make Lattes for You
Another way you can make a latte at home is by investing in an espresso machine that has an electric milk frother and can make lattes easily. If you’re ready to take your love of homemade lattes to the next level, here are some great machines to try:
This coffee machine from Nescafe is perfect for making a single cup of coffee. In addition to lattes, it can also make you an espresso shot, Americano, cappuccino, and more.
The interface is easy to use and you can adjust both the size and the integrity of your drink. This machine uses a pressure-based system with a high level of extraction for delicious flavor in every cup.
One thing to note about Nescafe is that you have to use its coffee pods in the machine and they are not reusable. There are a lot of flavors available, though, so you’re sure to find something that you like on the days you want something other than a latte.
- The Nescafe Dolce Gusto Genio 2 is an automatic capsule coffee machine, designed to perfectly fit your single cup, black and specialty coffee brewing needs with a small footprint
- COFFEE HOUSE INSPIRED DRINKS - Explore the wide variety of decadent flavors and coffee house inspired drinks offered by the Nescafe Dolce Gusto capsule-based coffee machine. With 15 flavor varieties, choose from authentic Espresso, Americano, Cappuccino, Latte, and more.
- EASY INTERFACE - Use the toggle-stick to adjust the LED display controlling the size and intensity of your coffee, Match the LED bars to the bars on your Dolce Gusto capsule, position the toggle stick to either hot or cold, and brew.
- PRESSURE BASED SYSTEM – The Genio 2’s 15 bars of pressure allows high level extraction for optimal flavor, aroma, and body delivered consistently in every cup
- ULTIMATE COFFEE FRESHNESS - After spending our time crafting the perfect coffee, we then hermetically seal the capsule to prevent humidity and oxygen from damaging our coffee. This proprietary technology ensures an intensely aromatic and fresh cup every time.
The Gevi Espresso Machine provides a more hands-on experience and will make you feel like you have a coffee shop right in your kitchen. It uses a 15 bar high-pressure pump for flavor extraction to produce rich, delicious espresso and has an integrated foaming machine so you can make a latte at home and much more.
One of the nice things about this one is that the portafilter is large enough to make two cups of coffee at the same time, so it’s easy to share. There’s a temperature panel that allows you to keep a close eye on the water temperature, and a heated metallic plate on the top to warm your cup.
- ✔【15 BAR PRESSURE SYSTEM】15 Bar high-pressure Italian ODM pump with 1100W big power can provide fast and stable extraction，makes espresso more fragrant and rich in crema.
- ✔【ACTIVE TEMPERATURE CONTROL】Visual thermometer can help you control the best temperature for optimal coffee extraction. 2 Separate thermostats adjust the temperature of the water and milk foam separately so that the taste of coffee can reach the ideal state, and the milk foam is rich and creamy.
- ✔【ADJUSTABLE MILK FROTHING】Allows you to adjust the foam and steam levels to customize a variety of delicious espresso-based coffee. 360°rotating stainless steel frothing wand is more convenient to use.
- ✔【7 GRAMS FOR FULL FLAVOR】Achieve a consistent and balanced espresso using the right amount of ground coffee. Using 7g coffee powder to make 1 ounce of espresso can get full flavor and better taste.
- ✔【ELEGANT DESIGN】Small size and elegant design suitable for your kitchen and tea room. Let you own a private cafe and meet your need for a high-quality life.
You probably know the Keurig name, but this coffee maker does much more than just make K-cups of coffee. The simple button controls are easy to navigate.
All you have to do is insert your K-cup and select your drink.
The large 60-ounce water reservoir is convenient because you don’t have to refill very often, and the spout accommodates mugs up to 7.2-inches tall. That means you can make your latte in a travel mug and take it with you when you head out the door in the morning.
This machine lets you know when it’s time to clean and descale, an important process that removes calcium deposits from inside the machine, helping to make sure that you get the best-tasting coffee, every time.
To make a latte at home, just brew your favorite K-cup and use the frother to steam your favorite milk.
- Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of espresso extracted will vary depending on the grind size and amount and reprogramming may be needed when the size and amount are adjusted
- COFFEE, LATTES & CAPPUCCINOS: Use any K-Cup pod to brew coffee, or make delicious lattes and cappuccinos.
- SIMPLE BUTTON CONTROLS: Just insert any K-Cup pod and use the button controls to brew delicious coffee, or make hot or iced lattes and cappuccinos.
- LARGE 60oz WATER RESERVOIR: Allows you to brew 6 cups before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine. Removable reservoir makes refilling easy.
- SMART START: Your coffee maker heats, then brews in one simple process. No need to wait for it to heat before selecting your cup size.
Which Way is Right for You?
We gave you two options for how to make a latte at home. If you feel like being a little more hands-in and want something simple, all you need is a fresh pot of coffee, milk, and a whisk.
You can tweak this recipe in a lot of ways by adding different flavors to the milk before you microwave it, and the whole process only takes a matter of minutes.
If you have a little money to spend and want to invest in a machine that will make a latte at home for you, there are plenty to choose from. These machines are all versatile, too, so you have other options on those days when you feel like mixing it up a bit.