Want to learn how to make cold brew in a French press? Cold brew coffee has gotten so popular that you can get it just about anywhere, from your favorite coffee shop to the refrigerator section of your local grocery store.
Unfortunately, most store-bought cold brew coffee is expensive and a lot of people shy away from it.
That’s precisely why learning to make your own cold brew at home is such a great idea. Avoid the crowds and the high price tag by making delicious French Press cold brew coffee, right in your own kitchen.
Ingredients and Supplies
Here’s everything you need to make cold brew in a French press:
- Medium-dark to dark roast whole coffee beans
- Kitchen scale
- Coffee grinder
- Wooden Spoon
- French Press with eight cup capacity
- Paper coffee filters
If you don’t have a French press, take a look at some of these great options:
This French press is extremely well-made and built to last. It’s made of double-layered stainless steel that’s both drop-proof and will never rust.
It has a triple-layer filter that comes in handy when making a cold brew and comes with a bonus stainless steel coffee canister, the perfect place to keep your fresh coffee grounds.
- If you really care about your coffee – We tested enough mechanisms and filters to make your head spin to tweak and uniquely design our press with a triple layered filter structure to stop the sediment, but let the yummy coffee oils through for a full-bodied delicious brew that will make you a very happy camper. And to share the java love, we give you a bonus matching travel canister that holds enough beans or grounds for two full batches.
- More thicker, More heavier, Build to last – Our huge capacity professional grade 310 18/10 double-layered stainless-steel baby will keep your coffee hot for 60 minutes longer than thinner steel and glass models. And it’s drop proof, rust proof, and probably bulletproof (be nice).
- Multiple Uses - Besides using the french press as a coffee maker, it is also handy appliance to make tea, mct oil coffee, hot chocolate, cold brew, frothed milk, almond milk, cashew milk, fruit infusions, and plant and herbal drinks as it seals in their flavors and aromas
- Perfect for any occasion - For house warmings, weddings, birthdays, holidays and all coffee/tea lovers & healthy foodies! Two bonus stainless steel screens and the matching travel container are included with every purchase while quantities last.
- European Engineered - Our total satisfaction promise covers all our products. So choose Mueller with confidence and look forward to a lifetime of java pleasure.
The Yakalla French press is made of thick, durable glass so your inner coffee lover can see the brewing process from beginning to end. The frame and double stainless steel screen filters won’t rust or corrode from hot water, and it’s covered by a pretty generous protection plan.
Yakalla offers a 180-day replacement for parts that are accidentally broken, a one-year warranty, and 24-hour customer support.
- French Press: Just need 3 minutes to brews a premium cup of coffee by our French press coffee maker. You can enjoy the fresh and delicious coffee anywhere, portable and steady structure, perfect for making fresh French coffee, tea, espresso, or cold brew.
- Finest Quality Material: The 34 oz carafe is made of thick borosilicate glass, no BPA that can withstand boiling water! Compared to the metal french press, there is not unbearable scratching noises when you push the filter down. And the glass beaker allows you to monitor the whole procedure of making your coffee. The hot water and coffee grounds separated when you press the filter arm; the aroma and unspeakable comfort of coffee provide the best time to enjoy.
- Professional filtration technique: The double stainless steel screen filters help to minimize the number of residual grounds in your Coffee. It helps extract your coffee's aromatic oils and subtle flavors instead of being affected by a paper filter — giving you a cup of pure brewed Coffee just like its made by professionals.
- Precision and Stability - The French Coffee press maker features an exact scale line. It can help you prepare exactly the right amount of coffee or tea to meet your needs. Its frame made of high quality 304 stainless steel to prevent corrosion & rust. You no longer have to worry about breaking or damaging your french press.
- Worry-free after-sales: We provide 24-hour customer service support when purchasing and after-sales! Please contact us via Amazon order message. Since glass is a fragile product, please check whether the glass is damaged after receiving the product, we provide 180 days of accidental "broken" replacement program. One-year warranty / replacement for other accessories (except brush and filter consumption accessories)
Here’s a high-quality, stainless steel French press that’s both drop-proof and rust-proof. It uses an innovative four-level filtration system that’s designed to keep coarse ground coffee from getting into your cup. It’s dishwasher-safe and available in three sizes – 21, 34, or 50 ounces.
- Say No to Cheaply Made Products - Are you tired of unhealthy plastics, inferior metal flavor, dealing with broken glass and losing heat? Stainless steel is the way to go! Our French press is made of 304 stainless steel, to be drop-proof and rust-proof. A terrific gift for coffee and tea lovers!
- Innovative 4-Level Filtration Systems - Poorly made filters often break and result in a mug of coffee filled with grounds. To provide you with a cup of coffee like those made by professional baristas, our double stainless steel filters are strong enough to ensure the grounds doesn't get into your cup and make delicious, smooth, full flavor coffee.
- Well Built Coffee Press - A U-shaped spout allows coffee to flow smoothly, without dripping onto your table. A spout marker added on the lid helps you accurately pinpoint the pour spout, while the inside marker will take your brewing accuracy and hosting skills to the next level.
- Hold Heat In - Our insulated French press with 18/10 stainless steel double-layer vacuum structure not only keeps the coffee warm for a long time, but also keeps the handle cool when brewing, so there is no risk of burns. Take your time and savor every delicious sip - the coffee will still be hot when you are ready for a refill.
- Need Larger Capacity?: When you have guest, 50 ounce(8 cups) French Press is wonderful for sharing delicious coffee. Easy to prepare in 4 minutes. Make your morning coffee an oasis. Enjoy relaxing!
And here are some excellent grinders to consider:
Here’s a great grinder from Hamilton Beach that grinds enough beans to make up to 12 cups of coffee at the same time. It’s quieter than its competitors and has a convenient removable grinding chamber that’s easy to clean.
The cord stores away in the bottom for neat and tidy storage and the stainless steel blades are designed to last.
- Quieter than competitors: Whether it’s early morning or late at night, you can make fresh grounds without making too much noise
- Removable grinding chamber: The grinding chamber removes for easy filling of whole beans or spices once finished, remove the chamber for easy cleaning
- Make up to 12 cups of coffee: You can grind up to 9 tablespoons of beans, enough for 12 cups of coffee. Wipe the base with a damp cloth
- Hidden cord storage: A hideaway cord storage at the bottom of the grinder stores the cord neatly and out of sight when it is not in use
- Stainless steel blades: Durable stainless steel blades grind coffee beans and spices with ease
This is a great burr grinder that’s perfect for cold brewed coffee. It holds up to a half-pound of beans and has 18 different grind settings. The grinding chamber is removable for easy cleaning.
Burr grinders are superior to other options because they don’t generate heat and leave the beans as fresh as possible.
- 18 Custom Grind Settings. Cord length : 24 inches
- Removable Bean Hopper
- Holds up to 1/2 Pound of Coffee Beans
- Removable Grinding Chamber ; Watts: 160
- Cord Storage.Dual safety-locking switches
The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is a manual option with an adjustable grind selector. There are over 18 settings so you can get the coarseness just right.
It’s insanely quiet when compared to the electric models, and the burr grinder blades last five times longer than stainless steel.
- [ Built-in Adjustable Grind Selector ] Equipped with over 18 click settings ensures you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your coffee beans making for the perfect grind to start your day.
- [ Convenient & Easy to Use ] Removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric grinders produce. No batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to operate your portable compact manual grinder.
- [ Grind Fresh Coffee, Everyday! ] JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder only dispenses your desired fresh coffee bean experience - feel the coffee beans grind as you mill them the manual way! Smell the fresh aroma of your daily coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine. Ground, brew, and enjoy!
- [ Coffee is in our DNA ] Each JavaPresse manual grinder is designed to liberate and empower you to transform your favorite whole bean coffee ritual into an extraordinary daily experience.
- [ Patented Ceramic Combo Burrs ]- Our Signature Burr Grinder blades are designed and tested through three professional grade inspections to last 5x's longer than stainless steel blades.
How to Make Cold Brew in a French Press
- Weigh and grind the beans. Freshly ground coffee is best because you have to make sure the grounds are the right texture. You’ll need about ⅔ cup of ground beans. Set the coffee grinder on a coarse setting and grind your beans. Each grinder is a little different, so make sure you use the correct setting. For cold brew coffee, getting a uniform size is essential and you can really only do that with a good burr grinder.
- Add the coarsely ground coffee beans to the French press, shaking it slightly to make sure the grounds are laying evenly at the bottom. Slowly add three cups of room temperature water. Filtered water is best, but tap water will work if that’s all you have available. Make sure the grounds are fully immersed. This is an important step because it really affects the flavor of the coffee.
- Place the lid on the French Press, but don’t press down the plunger yet. This brew needs to steep for at least 12 hours at room temperature before it’s ready to drink. When you brew hot coffee, the elevated temperature releases the flavor. Because cold brewing is done at room temperature, it takes longer than hot brewing.
- After 12 hours, the cold brew is complete. Because the grounds have been sitting in water for so long, it can be tricky to press the coffee without agitating them too much. Carefully push down on the plunger and stop just before you reach the grounds at the bottom.
To make sure no grounds sneak into your cup when you pour, use a secondary filter. Place a regular coffee filter over a glass or mason jar and pour the coffee over it, letting it strain slowly.
That’s it, you've just learnt how to make cold brew in a French press. Time to enjoy the result of your patience.
If you find the coffee is too strong, you can add cold water or pour it over ice to dilute it as needed. As you try this recipe more and more, you can fine-tune it to your liking, using more or less ground and water as needed.
The Right Supplies for the Best Cold Brew
If you want to make cold brew in a French press, it takes time but it’s worth the wait. To make sure it tastes as good as possible, there are two things you need. First, because cold brew coffee tastes better when it's made with fresh beans, you need a coffee grinder.
The other thing you need is a French press. Some of them are really great and have multiple filters that do a good job of keeping grounds from getting into your cup.
That said, using a paper filter over your cup to catch any grounds that sneak through promises the best cold brew coffee ever.