Yes, it's true, you can make cold brew in a french press. Just buy your favorite ground coffee and grab yourself a french press and off we go.
Want to learn how to make cold brew in a French press? Cold brew coffee has gotten so popular that you can get it just about anywhere, from your favorite coffee shop to the refrigerator section of your local grocery store.
Unfortunately, most store-bought cold brew coffee is expensive and a lot of people shy away from it.
That’s precisely why learning to make your own cold brew at home is such a great idea. Avoid the crowds and the high price tag by making delicious French Press cold brew coffee, right in your own kitchen.
Ingredients and Supplies
Here’s everything you need to make cold brew in a French press:
- Medium-dark to dark roast whole coffee beans
- Kitchen scale
- Coffee grinder
- Wooden Spoon
- French Press with eight cup capacity
- Paper coffee filters
If you don’t have a French press, take a look at some of these great options:
This French press is extremely well-made and built to last. It’s made of double-layered stainless steel that’s both drop-proof and will never rust.
It has a triple-layer filter that comes in handy when making a cold brew and comes with a bonus stainless steel coffee canister, the perfect place to keep your fresh coffee grounds.
- If you really care about your coffee – We tested enough mechanisms and filters to make your head spin to tweak and uniquely design our press with a triple layered filter structure to stop the sediment, but let the yummy coffee oils through for a full-bodied delicious brew that will make you a very happy camper. And to share the java love, we give you a bonus matching travel canister that holds enough beans or grounds for two full batches.
- More thicker, More heavier, Built to last – Our huge capacity professional grade 304 18/10 double-layered stainless-steel baby will keep your coffee hot for 60 minutes longer than thinner steel and glass models. And it’s drop proof, rust proof, and probably bulletproof (be nice).
- Multiple Uses – Besides using the French Press as a coffee maker, it is also handy appliance to make tea, mct oil coffee, hot chocolate, cold brew, frothed milk, almond milk, cashew milk, fruit infusions, and plant and herbal drinks as it seals in their flavors and aromas
- Perfect for any occasion – For house warmings, weddings, birthdays, holidays and all coffee/tea lovers & healthy foodies! Two bonus stainless steel screens and the matching travel
- Made in China
The Yakalla French press is made of thick, durable glass so your inner coffee lover can see the brewing process from beginning to end. The frame and double stainless steel screen filters won’t rust or corrode from hot water, and it’s covered by a pretty generous protection plan.
Yakalla offers a 180-day replacement for parts that are accidentally broken, a one-year warranty, and 24-hour customer support.
Here’s a high-quality, stainless steel French press that’s both drop-proof and rust-proof. It uses an innovative four-level filtration system that’s designed to keep coarse ground coffee from getting into your cup. It’s dishwasher-safe and available in three sizes – 21, 34, or 50 ounces.
- Say No to Cheaply Made Products - Are you tired of unhealthy plastics, inferior metal flavor, dealing with broken glass and losing heat? Stainless steel is the way to go! Our French press is made of 304 stainless steel, to be shatter-proof and rust-resistant. A terrific gift for coffee and tea lovers!
- Innovative 4-Level Filtration Systems - Poorly made filters often break and result in a mug of coffee filled with grounds. To provide you with a cup of coffee like those made by professional baristas, our double stainless steel filters are strong enough to ensure the grounds doesn't get into your cup and make delicious, smooth, full flavor coffee.
- Well Built Coffee Press - A U-shaped spout allows coffee to flow smoothly, without dripping onto your table. A spout marker added on the lid helps you accurately pinpoint the pour spout, while the inside marker will take your brewing accuracy and hosting skills to the next level.
- Hold Heat In - Our insulated French press with 18/10 stainless steel double-layer vacuum structure not only keeps the coffee warm for a long time, but also keeps the handle cool when brewing, so there is no risk of burns. Take your time and savor every delicious sip - the coffee will still be hot when you are ready for a refill.
- Need Larger Capacity?: When you have guest, 50 ounce(8 cups) French Press is wonderful for sharing delicious coffee. Easy to prepare in 4 minutes. Make your morning coffee an oasis. Enjoy relaxing!
And here are some excellent grinders to consider:
Here’s a great grinder from Hamilton Beach that grinds enough beans to make up to 12 cups of coffee at the same time. It’s quieter than its competitors and has a convenient removable grinding chamber that’s easy to clean.
The cord stores away in the bottom for neat and tidy storage and the stainless steel blades are designed to last.
- EASY CLEANUP — DISHWASHER SAFE GRINDING BOWL: The grinding bowl on this coffee bean grinder is designed with durable stainless steel. It's removable for easy filling and pouring and is dishwasher safe.
- GRIND ENOUGH TO BREW UP TO 12 CUPS OF COFFEE: If you love the delicious taste of coffee made from freshly ground beans, this electric coffee grinder is perfect for the job whether you're grinding coffee for a quick cup or a full pot
- SIMPLE & INTUITIVE: The coffee grinder is so easy to use that you'll want to drink flavorful coffee made from freshly ground coffee beans everyday. Just place the lid on the grinder and press the button to grind coffee. Release to stop grinding.
- DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL BLADES: With the durable stainless steel blades, this grinder makes easy work of grinding everything from coffee beans to herbs and spices.
- REDUCE CLUTTER WITH HIDDEN CORD STORAGE: Hideaway cord storage at the bottom of the grinder stores the cord neatly and out of sight when it's not in use.
This is a great burr grinder that’s perfect for cold brewed coffee. It holds up to a half-pound of beans and has 18 different grind settings. The grinding chamber is removable for easy cleaning.
Burr grinders are superior to other options because they don’t generate heat and leave the beans as fresh as possible.
- 18 Custom Grind Settings. Cord length : 24 inches
- Removable Bean Hopper
- Holds up to 1/2 Pound of Coffee Beans
- Removable Grinding Chamber ; Watts: 160
- Cord Storage.Dual safety-locking switches
The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is a manual option with an adjustable grind selector. There are over 18 settings so you can get the coarseness just right.
It’s insanely quiet when compared to the electric models, and the burr grinder blades last five times longer than stainless steel.
- Built-in Adjustable Grind Selector The Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse Coffee Company is equipped with over 18 manual grind settings to ensure you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your grind; great for all coffee brewing methods for that perfect cup of freshly ground coffee to start your day.
- Convenient, Portable & Easy to Use Convenient hand crank mechanism eliminates over 90% of the noise that an electric coffee bean grinder would produce; unlike electric burr grinders for coffee beans, JavaPresse hand coffee grinder requires no batteries, power, or long plastic cords to operate allowing you to enjoy fresh ground coffee beans at home or on the go; perfect for your next camping, hiking, or backpacking trip.
- A Freshly Ground Cup of Coffee to Start Your Day JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinders are equipped with a professional grade ceramic conical burr to heighten flavors of the most exquisite coffees in the world; providing an incredibly consistent grind for a variety of brews while making as little noise as possible; smell the fresh aroma of freshly ground coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine, Aeropress, French Press or Pour Over Coffee Maker. Ground, Brew, and Enjoy!
- Quality Tested and Built to Last Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented ceramic coffee grinder burr is tested through three quality inspections to last 5x's longer than comparable stainless steel coffee burrs; combined with an impeccable stainless steel frame and convenient size, this coffee burr grinder is at the pinnacle of travel gadgets.
- Enhance your morning experience with the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder Features a built-in adjustable grind selector with 18 adjustable grind settings to craft your perfect cup; this manual burr grinder is built with a patented dual plated ceramic burr assembly that's great for all coffee brewing methods; comes with a manufacturer warranty & 100% money back guarantee.
How to Make Cold Brew in a French Press
- Weigh and grind the beans. Freshly ground coffee is best because you have to make sure the grounds are the right texture. You’ll need about ⅔ cup of ground beans. Set the coffee grinder on a coarse setting and grind your beans. Each grinder is a little different, so make sure you use the correct setting. For grinding brew coffee, getting a uniform size is essential and you can really only do that with a good burr grinder.
- Add the coarsely ground coffee beans to the French press, shaking it slightly to make sure the grounds are laying evenly at the bottom. Slowly add three cups of room temperature water. Filtered water is best, but tap water will work if that’s all you have available. Make sure the grounds are fully immersed. This is an important step because it really affects the flavor of the coffee.
- Place the lid on the French Press, but don’t press down the plunger yet. This brew needs to steep for at least 12 hours at room temperature before it’s ready to drink. When you brew hot coffee, the elevated temperature releases the flavor. Because cold brewing is done at room temperature, it takes longer than hot brewing.
- After 12 hours, the cold brew is complete. Because the grounds have been sitting in water for so long, it can be tricky to press the coffee without agitating them too much. Carefully push down on the plunger and stop just before you reach the grounds at the bottom.
To make sure no grounds sneak into your cup when you pour, use a secondary filter. Place a regular coffee filter over a glass or mason jar and pour the coffee over it, letting it strain slowly.
That’s it, you've just learned how to make cold brew in a French press. Time to enjoy the result of your patience.
If you find the coffee is too strong, you can add cold water or pour it over ice to dilute it as needed. As you try this recipe more and more, you can fine-tune it to your liking, using more or less ground and water as needed.
The Right Supplies for the Best Cold Brew
If you want to make cold brew in a French press, it takes time but it’s worth the wait. To make sure it tastes as good as possible, there are two things you need. First, because cold brew coffee tastes better when it's made with fresh beans, you need a coffee grinder.
The other thing you need is a French press. Some of them are really great and have multiple filters that do a good job of keeping grounds from getting into your cup.
That said, using a paper filter over your cup to catch any grounds that sneak through promises the best cold brew coffee ever.