Craving for a midnight sweet fix, but wanted to know first does coffee ice cream have caffeine? Here’s everything you need to know.
Imagine snuggling in your fluffy bed, but suddenly a midnight craving kicks in, so you have to traverse through the kitchen to find yourself in front of the fridge looking for some yummy ice cream.
But then the only box left in the fridge is coffee-flavored. Now you’re wondering: “Does coffee ice cream have caffeine, and will it keep me awake?”
Like you, I don't want to sacrifice my beauty sleep for a midnight snack and end up getting late for a meeting tomorrow morning. Coffee ice cream does contain caffeine. There is about 95 mg of caffeine in an eight-ounce cup of coffee ice cream.
But is that all? Or does the amount of caffeine fluctuate between different brands?
Read on to find out.
- Ben & Jerry BuzzBuzzBuzz Coffee Ice Cream Caffeine Content
- Haagen-Dazs Coffee Ice Cream Caffeine Content
- Baskin-Robbins “Jamoca” Ice Cream Caffeine Content
- Talenti Cold Brew Sorbetto Caffeine Content
- Will Coffee Ice Cream Keep You Awake?
- How To Make Decaf Coffee Ice Cream
- 3 Best Decaf Coffee Brands To Make Decaf Coffee Ice Cream At Home
Ben & Jerry BuzzBuzzBuzz Coffee Ice Cream Caffeine Content
BuzzBuzzBuzz is one of the leading coffee ice creams. Steeped in a hearty chocolate flavor with a dominant espresso note, the fudge is a mouthful, rich, and creamy with a distinctive brown color.
Ben & Jerry BuzzBuzzBuzz Coffee Ice Cream contains about 70 mg of caffeine per box, making it one of the strongest coffee ice cream flavors on the market.
You might also like our guide on what goes well with coffee ice cream.
Haagen-Dazs Coffee Ice Cream Caffeine Content
The second-biggest coffee brand is Haagen-Dazs. Its claim to fame is a beautiful coffee aroma brought by Brazilian coffee beans in the ingredients. Every box contains 58 mg of caffeine, a tad less than Ben & Jerry BuzzBuzzBuzz Coffee Ice Cream but still on the higher side of the caffeine spectrum.
Baskin-Robbins “Jamoca” Ice Cream Caffeine Content
With 20mg of caffeine per container, Baskin-Robbins “Jamoca” Ice Cream has a more mild-tasting profile with a creamy, sweet, and smoky base. If your taste buds are keen on a sweeter note rather than a dominant bitterness of coffee, then Baskin-Robbins “Jamoca” Ice Cream is the best choice.
Talenti Cold Brew Sorbetto Caffeine Content
Talenti Cold Brew Sorbetto claims to contain only 0.002mg per two-thirds cup serving to celebrate a beautiful blend of Brazilian and Columbian cold brew coffee. I like the brand’s rich, gelato-like ice cream with a subtle hint of coffee.
Will Coffee Ice Cream Keep You Awake?
If you’re really sensitive to caffeine, even a tiny amount of coffee in your ice cream will deter you from falling back to sleep again. But it also depends on the ratio between coffee and cream per serving, depending on which brand you take.
If you’re devouring an entire box of espresso coffee ice cream, you find yourself wide awake in the middle of the night. Plus, the amount of sugar in ice cream is likely to keep your brain active and flooded with thoughts.
How To Make Decaf Coffee Ice Cream
If you’re unsure about store-bought coffee ice cream, why not try making some decaf coffee ice cream at home? You can control the amount of caffeine in your recipe without spending ages in the supermarket reading labels?
You'll also love our list of the best coffee ice-cream recipes.
- One cup of whole milk
- One tablespoon of ground decaf coffee
- Two cups of heavy cream of choice
- Five egg yolks
- Three-quarter cup of sugar
- Brew your coffee. Then slowly pour pre-heated whole milk into the coffee and set it aside.
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, mix the milk and coffee liquid with sugar and heavy cream and heat it on medium heat. Keep whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Turn off the heat when the mixture comes to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until combined and gradually add the hot milk mixture before putting it back into the saucepan.
- Keep whisking the mixture over low heat until it thickens.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the mixture to a glass bowl, let cool, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Put the custard into the fridge to chill for at least four hours before taking it out and putting it into the ice cream machine you have at home.
- Transfer the ice cream to a clean glass container and chill overnight to harden slightly.
- Now it’s ready to serve.
3 Best Decaf Coffee Brands To Make Decaf Coffee Ice Cream At Home
We all know that decaf coffee has at least 97% of its caffeine removed. But you definitely don't want to sacrifice that lovely aroma and recognize bitterness. And that's why decaf coffee comes into play.
I have three favorite brands to recommend: one is a dark roast, one is a medium roast, and one is a pod coffee. Let’s find out what’s so special about them.
- Kicking Horse Dark Roast Coffee is my go-to option that gives my recipe a mellow finish and a leading, distinguished coffee flavor that wakes up my palate.
- Dark roast, whole bean: Swiss water process. Decaffeinated coffee should be exactly like every other one of our blends: Deep, dark and delicious. Tip-top taste with a mellow finish.
- Tasting notes, brew method: Roasted hazelnuts, chocolaty balanced body and a long lasting finish. Recommended methods: French press, drip machine, pour over, espresso and cold brew.
- Origin Central & South America: Grown in a socially and environmentally responsible way, by farmers with sustainable businesses they can depend on.
- Organic, Fairtrade, kosher, shade grown, Arabica coffee: Coffee that is good and fair for the coffee drinkers, the farmers and the planet. 100% certified.
- Roasted in the rocky mountains: It’s all deep, dark and delicious, roasted right below the towering Canadian rocky mountain peaks.
- Highground Organic Instant Decaf Coffee is a medium roast that brings out a well-balanced tasting profile and is not overly bitter.
- Ground from carefully selected organic Arabica coffee beans, roasted to perfection
- Fair Trade Certified for equitable and sustainable farming and labor practices
- Medium roast for a deliciously well-balanced flavor profile
- Product of Spain
- Gourmet instant decaf coffee made from 100% organic and fair trade beans for convenience without compromise
- McCafe Decaf Premium Medium Roast is a perfect call with a rich aroma, smooth body, and clean finish if you’re looking for one to go with your K-Cup pod coffee maker at home.
- TASTE: Brew the deliciously familiar taste from McCafé into the comfort of your own home. This medium roast blend is simply satisfying with a rich aroma, smooth body and clean finish
- ROAST: Medium Roast decaf coffee made with 100% Arabica beans, and certified Orthodox Union Kosher (U)
- RECYCLABILITY: Introducing McCafé Recyclable K-Cup Pods. The same great taste, now made from recyclable material. Check locally, not recycled in all communities
- SUSTAINABILITY: We use 100% Responsibly Sourced coffee to support a healthier planet and an improved quality of life for farming communities
- QUALITY: We start with premium Arabica beans, then expertly roast in a temperature-controlled environment to bring out the best taste, every time