Are you curious about the Breville Barista Express espresso maker? If so, take a look at our in-depth Breville Barista Express Review.
If you are anything like me, then you have a difficult time getting up in the morning without your cup of Americano coffee or Nespresso. Going to the coffee shop every day can be expensive. That is where the Breville bes870xl Barista Express espresso machine can help you save time and money by brewing your morning dose of caffeine at home.
This is an espresso and cappuccino machine that comes with a conical burr grinder and steaming wand, helping you make espresso beverages at home that taste as they came right from the coffee shop!
Is this brushed stainless steel coffee maker or espresso maker for you? Take a look at our in-depth review, and see if it can help you make the perfect drink with your ground beans!
- Breville Barista Express Design: Custom Settings for Frothing with Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine
- The Setup Process For The Espresso Machine Can Be A Challenge
- Espresso Machine Review: The Barista Express Makes Drinks Quickly
- Clean The Barista Express Thoroughly
- Key Features Of The Breville Barista Express
- Milk Frothing
- What Drinks Can You Make?
- Who Should Use The Breville Barista Express?
- Alternatives To Consider
- Breville Barista Express Review: Pros And Cons
- Final Word On Breville Barista Express Review
- FAQs About Breville Barista Express Review
Breville Barista Express Design: Custom Settings for Frothing with Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine
The accessories on the Barista Express have and perfectly placed, ensuring that they do not get in the way of other parts of the machine. For instance, you can swivel the steam wand in any direction you would like, preventing it from getting in the way of your other steps.
In addition, you can detach the tamper, which means that you can perfectly control the amount of pressure you use, reading the pressure gauge. Then, you can reattach the tamper to store the machine easily.
One of the main features is that it has customizable settings. That way, you can adjust the tamp, the grind amount, and the grind size from the coffee grinder, creating the perfect espresso shot for yourself. The directions in the manual are easy to follow, allowing you to adjust each of these settings with ease.
Overall, the Barista Express has a sleek, modern design. The control panel is also illuminated, helping you see it even when you do not want to turn on the lights in the morning. If you liked this post, you might also be interested in our guide on Breville vs. Nespresso milk frother.
The Setup Process For The Espresso Machine Can Be A Challenge
Even though it is nice that the Barista Express comes with numerous accessories that you can customize to meet your needs, it also makes the setup process a challenge. For example, you need to learn about the bean hopper, the drip tray, the water tank, and the filter baskets.
Before you start setting up the machine, you do have to read the manual thoroughly. That way, you can familiarize yourself with all of its moving parts.
When you first set up the machine, you definitely want to clean and flush it. That way, you get a delicious espresso on your first attempt. Even though the process is relatively straightforward, it can take up to an hour to complete the setup process.
You have to wait for the water filter to soak, and the cleaning process alone takes 15 minutes.
Espresso Machine Review: The Barista Express Makes Drinks Quickly
Once you are finished with the setup process, this home barista has a relatively short learning curve to make great espresso. While the manufacturer claims that you can go from bean to espresso in under a minute, it isn't quite that fast. Making a perfect shot of espresso takes approximately 3 minutes when including grinding, tamping, and extracting time.
This espresso machine also delivers consistent results. For every drink, the machine will evenly grind your coffee beans with a sharp razor. Then, all shots will be consistently pulled through with the right amount of water.
Furthermore, the portafilter basket is exceptional during espresso extraction, preventing any grounds from landing in the final shot.
The espresso produced by the user-friendly machine itself has a beautiful crema on top as long as you properly tamp the drink. You can use the Barista Express to make macchiatos, lattes, cappuccinos, and numerous other beverages. You have total water temperature control with this coffee machine. You can also control the microfoam, grind settings, and volume of each shot or double shot with the dispenser.
Clean The Barista Express Thoroughly
Even though it is a bit of a hassle, you have to keep the machine clean. After every use, you need to clean up right away. Otherwise, the machine will get clogged, making it difficult to use later.
Once you are finished, immediately rinse out the portafilter and basket with hot water. You want to remove any oils from the coffee grounds. You also need to clean the steam wand after you use it.
Otherwise, the milk will try and get caked to the wand itself. The spout could also get clogged. Use caution, as the machine may still be hot.
You should also use a damp cloth to wipe down the group head interior and shower screen. That way, you can remove any excess coffee grounds. You may also want to run a rinse cycle to rinse out any residual coffee.
Key Features Of The Breville Barista Express
There are several key features that come with the Breville Barista Express. These include:
- It has a beam copper capacity of a half-pound.
- The water tank capacity is 67 ounces.
- There are portafilter baskets for single and double shots.
- The Breville Barista Express comes with a shot measuring razor, allowing you to remove excess grounds from the top of the filter basket.
- The Breville Barista Express comes with a coffee scoop and a stainless steel milk jug.
- There is a dial at the top that allows you to adjust the grind size and grind amount.
- There is a charcoal filter in the water tank that helps you brew pure shots every time.
These are just a few of the many key features you will enjoy.
Frothing the milk is relatively straightforward. First, Prime the machine and make sure the light for “hot water/steam” is lit up. Next, turn the dial on the right side of the Breville Barista Express machine to “steam.”
Next, place the steam wand directly over the grate. Once it starts to spew out steam, switch it back to standby mode. Then, place your pitcher with the milk inside underneath the wand.
You may get better results if you tip the pitcher slightly, allowing the steam to spread evenly throughout the milk. Hold the pitcher in place until it is almost too hot to touch.
What Drinks Can You Make?
There are several drinks you can make using the Breville Barista Express. These include:
- You can make a cappuccino, which is equal parts steamed milk, espresso, and milk foam.
- You can make a latte, which is a shot of espresso combined with steamed milk.
- You can make a straight-up espresso, which is just an espresso wood nothing else.
- You can make a macchiato, which is a splash of milk combined with a full shot of espresso.
Why you cannot use this machine to make a regular cup of coffee, you can use it to make a shot of espresso. Then, you can top it off with hot water from the kettle, making it taste like coffee. After this, you can add milk or cream until you get the taste you desire.
Who Should Use The Breville Barista Express?
There are several people who may enjoy using the Breville Barista Express. These include:
- Anyone who likes to try a variety of drinks will like this machine, as they can use it to make cappuccinos, lattes, macchiatos, and more.
- Anyone who is trying to save money by cutting out that trip to the morning coffee shop will enjoy saving money using this machine.
- Anyone who is trying to save time on their morning routine will also enjoy the Breville Barista Express, as it can make a beautiful drink in just a few minutes.
- Anyone who enjoys customizing grind size, grind amount, steam amount, and other features will also like the versatile accessories that come with this machine.
Because this machine appeals to so many people, it is easy to see why so many have already fallen in love with a Breville Barista Express.
Alternatives To Consider
While there are several alternatives to consider, the main one is the Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista. This is a relatively inexpensive option that usually costs around $250. It is semi-automatic and can make espresso drinks with the push of a button.
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15 Bar Pump System Brews Rich Tasting Espresso Coffee
- Trouble Free Automatic Milk Frother Removes the Guesswork. Do not wash the water reservoir in the dishwasher
- One touch control panel for drink selections
- Easy fill, removable water and milk reservoirs
There are several differences to consider. These include:
- The Breville Barista Express has more customizable features than the Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista. On the other hand, the Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista is easier to use because it has fewer buttons.
- The Breville Barista Express is significantly more expensive than the Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista.
- The Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista does not come with a grinder while the Breville Barista Express does.
If you are simply looking for a straightforward dose of caffeine in the morning, then the Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista might be better; however, if you are someone who likes to customize your drink and enjoy the perfect crema, then you might prefer the Breville Barista Express instead.
Breville Barista Express Review: Pros And Cons
Finally, you might find it helpful to go through a few pros and cons.
Overall, the Barista Express by Breville is a quality, affordable cappuccino and espresso machine that delivers consistent results. The same was function, customizable settings, and convenient design make it well worth the price tag.
Final Word On Breville Barista Express Review
If you want to make espresso and cappuccino at home with the quality of a local coffee shop, then you may want to look at the Barista Express by Breville. The espresso machine does take a while to set up; however, it will deliver consistent, high-quality results with the right froth customized to meet your needs. Why not see if this option is right for you?
FAQs About Breville Barista Express Review
Is the Barista Express challenging to set up?
It is not necessarily challenging to set up; however, it does take a little while because it comes with a lot of accessories you need to include.
How often do I need to run a cleaning cycle?
You should clean the Barista Express and all removable parts after every use to prevent coffee grounds, oils, and milk from getting caked to the machine later.