The best teas for focus will help you be alert and efficient. Read this guide to know more about drinking teas to achieve top performance.
If you’re like me, who usually experiences caffeine crashes then you’re familiar with its repercussions – irritability, sudden fatigue, drowsiness. I’ll often doze off unanticipatedly, leaving my work unfinished.
Sure, caffeine helps cover the feeling of tiredness, but the power kick doesn't last forever. Some may even experience caffeine crashes similar to hangovers with headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
An excellent and healthy alternative to coffee is tea. This article will show you the best teas to replace your cup of Joe. If you’re after making your coffee less acidic, see Does Milk Make Coffee Less Acidic?
What To Look For In The Best Tea For Focus
Refreshing herbal teas have energizing and clarifying properties to boost brain activity and improve cognitive function and mental clarity.
Tea from Camellia Sinensis, such as white, green, and oolong tea, have antioxidant polyphenols and caffeine.
Some compounds in Camellia Sinensis are:
- For concentration and learning
- Alleviates anxiety and improves mood
- B vitamins
- Decreases fatigue
- Improves metabolism
- Maintains healthy skin and brain cells
- Trace Minerals
- Includes magnesium, iron, calcium zinc
- Protects the body from long-term damage
- Can prevent heart diseases, Type 2 diabetes, and dementia
- Reduces fatigue, increases alertness
- Excessive consumption can be harmful
Using these drinks can also aid in slowing down memory loss and even protect against neurodegenerative diseases.
You might also be interested in our guide on the best teas for runners.
How To Pick The Best Best Tea For Focus
What you’ll pick will ultimately depend on your preferences.
Loose leaf is better than tea bags. They retain more flavor, can serve more steeps, has more caffeine, offers many varieties, and makes the tea-drinking experience better.
Always buy organic tea. You cannot wash pesticides off tea. Avoid additives for maximum medicinal value and excellent taste profile.
Choose brands that use whole-tea leaves for quality. Avoid tea products with dustings as they are usually low-grade teas. Additionally, the bigger the leaves are dried, the more oils there are to make your tea more flavorful, aromatic, and healthy.
The Best Tea For Focus For The Health Conscious
Originating from China and perfectly cultivated in Japan, matcha has a unique amino acid called L-theanine that enhances cognitive functions. It’s also excellent and safe as an everyday drink.
Try Encha's Ceremonial Grade, First Harvest Organic Japanese Matcha, a farm-to-cup product free of pesticides, GMOs, and preservatives. Check out its customers’ reviews.
- Delivers ten times more antioxidants than those found in green tea
- It has a creamy texture and an umami taste
- Can protect the liver, lower blood pressure, and oiling joints to aid arthritis
- Some people find its “grassy” taste unappealing
- Matcha is more expensive than other teas
- Consuming too much matcha can damage the liver
- Ceremonial Grade Matcha: Our premium, 100% organic matcha tea powder is ground from the most tender matcha leaves, plucked each spring from our farm in the hills of Uji, Japan. All Encha matcha tea is USDA certified organic, consisting only of the finest quality organic tea leaves.
- Rich and Complex Flavor: Our matcha powder offers a perfectly balanced palate, both sweet and earthy, with a smooth, velvety consistency when whisked into water.
- Boost Energy and Focus: Skip the coffee and allow our matcha green tea powder to provide a natural pick-me-up. Organic matcha is rich in antioxidants and offers clean and consistent energy and mental clarity without any crash.
- How to Brew: To prepare a traditional matcha green tea, simply take 1 tsp Encha ceremonial matcha and whisk vigorously into 5 oz hot water at 160°F. Enjoy the balanced flavor and health benefits of organic green tea.
- For Healthy Habits: Our 30g size of Encha matcha lasts for 2 weeks if you drink 1 level tsp (2 grams) per day. Subscribe and save to make sure you’ve always got matcha green tea on hand.
The Best Tea For Focus For Herbal Tea Fans
If you're looking for something processed differently, pu-erh tea uses microbial fermentation of dried leaves. It's also a common gift among the Chinese elites. An eight-ounce cup of this blend has 60 to 70 milligrams of caffeine that helps boost energy and focus.
Get the Numi Organic Tea Emperor's Pu-erh for earthy and malty sips. Here is its buyers’ take on the product.
- It has a smooth and mildly sweet taste and smells like autumn leaves
- It’s naturally fermented and tastes better the longer it’s aged
- It has many health benefits, including cleaning the body of free radicals and toxins
- It helps develop bone mass, thereby preventing bone illnesses such as osteoporosis
- It's exclusively grown in Yunnan Province, China, and goes through a refined process, making it one of the most expensive teas in the world
- Since it contains caffeine, consuming more than five cups can lead to dehydration, insomnia, and nausea
- The fermentation process can also upset your digestive system
- Aged Full Caffeine Black Pu-erh Tea: Pu-erh boasts a deep bold body that is smooth and earthy with hints of malt; This richly flavored energizing tea is deeply satisfying as a coffee alternative
- Rich, Malty Pu-erh Tea: Richer than black tea and wonderfully smooth and malty; Pu-erh provides a natural boost of sustained energy and delivers focus and clarity; Try our Chocolate Pu-erh or Emperor's Pu-erh
- Bagged Tea: Numi's organic full-leaf quality teas come in convenient tea bags for the perfect brewing every time; Individually wrapped tea bags ensure your tea is fresh, every time
- Numi's Organic Teas and tisanes bring you the flavor and health benefits of full-leaf tea in a variety of styles, flavors and brewing methods from tea bags and loose leaf teas to flowering teas, iced teas, and bottled teas
- Premium Organic Full-Leaf quality teas and herbal teasans blended with only 100 percent real fruits, flowers, and spices; Try our black, green, white, Pu-erh, rooibos, herbal, and turmeric teas
Best Teas For Focus For Coffee Lovers
Yerba Mate is a traditional South American drink that has it all: coffee's wake-up buzz, chocolate's flavorful notes, and tea's health benefits. It has less caffeine than coffee but more than what tea contains.
Go for Kiss Me Organics Yerba Mate Tea to taste the traditional, loose-leaf brew. See these reviews to check if it's something you want to try.
- It can give you the effects of coffee, minus the jitters
- It decreases blood sugar levels, among other health benefits
- Some users claim it helps ease their depression
- You should not consume it in large doses over an extended time
- It’s a herbal tea that can clash with medications
- Some find its strong, bitter, and earthy taste too far from regular tea
- GREAT TASTE - Our 17.6oz (500g/1.1lb) bulk bag of Yerba mate loose leaf tea is packed with deliciously fresh, earthy, and smooth flavors - have a cup and drink up.
- MANY WAYS TO ENJOY - Choose how you brew, whether that means preparing your organic Yerba mate in a gourd with hot or cold water, or in a fancy French press - your choice.
- TRADTIONAL - Transform the usual caffeine crash into a sustained, energy boosting ritual with our Yerba mate herbal tea leaves, cultivated from Southern Brazil.
- NUTRIENT-PACKED - Start off your mornings to a tea; this loose leaf Yerba Mate contains vitamins, calcium, iron, antioxidants, 7 essential amino acids, and saponins.
- GIFT IDEA - Birthdays, Christmas, housewarming parties, and other festivities aren’t complete without something tasty, so give your best mate some Yerba mate.
If you’re looking for coffee alternatives for a vegan diet, check out the 10 Best Vegan Coffee Alternatives.
There are many teas out there, but only some give me the result I need. The ones picked above are some of the best teas I've tried that have excellent effects on my performance, are readily available in the market, and are worth your money.
Why You Can Trust Me
Since I accidentally abused caffeine because of its high concentration in coffee, trying new teas that'll help me stay focused has been a habit. It’s a break from my coffee spree, and it also helps me discover new teas that taste good while making me feel good.
Matcha tea is the best pick for those looking for a safe and healthy everyday alternative to coffee. If you want tea processed differently, choose pu-erh. Go for the yerba mate if you're craving something between coffee and tea.