If you want to experience the Swedish tradition of “fika” or simply want a smooth cup of coffee, here are the best Swedish coffee brands that you can try!
Are you a coffee aficionado who prefers a stronger, smoother, aromatic brew? If so, then you might want to try some Swedish coffee brands.
As of 2020, the Swedes consumed 7.7 kg of coffee per person per year, which is more than double the amount consumed by Americans. This proves that Sweden has a real love affair with coffee, and you can see it almost everywhere you go. In fact, coffee is so deeply ingrained in their culture that they have a special word for taking a coffee break — fika.
Keep reading to find the eight best Swedish coffee brands you can try!
1. Gevalia House Blend Medium Roast
One of the most well-known Swedish coffee brands is Gevalia, which has been making coffee since 1853. The flavors of the Gevalia House Blend Medium Roast coffee are intense and slightly acidic, as it is made from hand-picked Kenyan beans.
Victor Theodor Engwall founded Gevalia in 1853 in Gavle, Sweden, and the company has since spent 150 years creating the ideal cup. You can taste the passion in each cup as Gevalia shares its heritage and love of coffee with everyone.
To get the most flavor, this coffee roasts 100% Arabica beans slowly before using a snap cooling method. The coffee is Kosher-certified and keto-friendly, and the bag may be resealed to help maintain its freshness.
- One 20 oz. bag of Gevalia House Blend Medium Roast Ground Coffee
- Gevalia House Blend Medium Roast Ground Coffee provides the perfect care for the perfect cup
- Our keto friendly House Blend medium roast ground coffee releases an aroma that will fill your home and is great for those following a low carb lifestyle
- Each bag is crafted from 100% Arabica coffee beans sourced from around the world
- All of our ground coffee bags use slow roasted, snap cooled beans to lock in flavor and aroma
Sweden is a huge fan of Zoega, which has been roasting coffee since 1886. Despite having a strong flavor, the Zoega Skanerost only has a bit of acidity as it contains less caffeine. It is made from 100% Arabica coffee beans, and it also makes a very smooth cup of coffee.
The coffee beans used for the Zoega Skanerost are sourced from Central America and Kenya. It is pre-ground and coffee filter-friendly. This brand will particularly appeal to people who like their coffee black; it’s also very flavorful, so you don't need creamer, milk, or sweetener.
The Zoega Skanerost is perfect for drip coffee machines but may be used with any method of coffee preparation. When properly preserved, it lasts a very long time and remains fresh.
The Zoegas Hazienda is a robust and flavorful dark-roasted coffee — the flavor can be described as slightly fruity with dark berry undertones. This coffee is made from 100% Arabica coffee beans sourced from East Africa, Brazil, and Central America.
The Zoegas Hazienda is a Fair Trade and KRAV-certified blend of high-grown African and Latin American coffee beans.
- Organic Dark Roast Coffee 450g – Organic dark roast coffee.
Three brothers, Josef, Anders, and John Löfberg, started their business in 1906. Lofbergs is now considered to be one of the largest coffee roasteries in the Nordic countries. The family still owns the company, but the third and fourth generations are now in charge.
This brand is dedicated to being environmentally friendly and obtaining sustainability certificates. It is made from 100% Arabica coffee beans sourced from around the world. This roast has a strong and pleasant aroma and a smooth texture.
The Löfbergs Kharisma Dark Roast also has a very strong flavor that features notes of hazelnut. The flavors of this coffee can also be improved when you add milk or creamer. Like any type of coffee, it can keep its freshness for a very long time when stored properly.
The Löfbergs Mellanrost Original Ground Coffee is the company's original blend — a medium roast with a soothing aroma. The flavor is described as slightly nutty with a tart aftertaste. It is made from 100% Arabica coffee beans sourced from South, Central, and East Africa and is Organic and Fair Trade certified.
- Gourmet Swedish Coffee - Espresso
- Rainforest Alliance
4. Arvid Nordquist Selection Amigas Classic Coffee
Arvid Nordquist is a family-run business that was established in 1884 and also earned the title of purveyor to the Royal Swedish Court.
The Arvid Nordquist Selection Amigas Coffee has a thick, rich dark chocolate flavor countered by a fresh, fruity aftertaste. This coffee is made from 100% Arabica coffee beans, which are grown at high elevations and painstakingly ripened to develop rich, nuanced flavors. You can also grind these coffee beans to any size that your coffee maker at home requires since it comes in whole beans.
Arvid Nordquist coffee is produced using organic methods and builds lasting ties with women-run farms to assist farmers in making investments in the future. This coffee brand is also entirely sustainably certified, CO2 offset, and packaged with plant-based plastic.
5. Merrild Whole Bean Coffee
The Merrild Whole Bean Coffee is made from 100% Arabica coffee beans that produce a harmonious blend of flavors. The medium roasted coffee beans add a more round and balanced flavor to the coffee and an exquisite aroma.
The Merrild Whole Bean Coffee is a blend of 70% South American Arabica coffee beans, and 30% washed and hand-picked Arabica coffee beans. These coffee beans are medium roasted, which results in a round and full-bodied coffee with hazelnut notes. It is suitable for use with fully automatic espresso machines, filter coffee machines, and plunger jugs.
The company started with Møller Merrild, who loved coffee, but he was not happy with the products that were on the market. Because of this, he purchased his first coffee roaster in 1960, marking the beginning of Merrild coffee's history.
- Popular with coffee enthusiasts worldwide, the patented AeroPress is a new kind of coffee press that uses a rapid, total immersion brewing process to make smooth, delicious, full flavored coffee without bitterness and with low acidity.
- Good-bye French Press! The rapid brewing AeroPress avoids the bitterness and high acidity created by the long steep time required by the French press. Plus, the AeroPress paper Microfilter eliminates grit and means clean up takes seconds.
- Makes 1 to 3 cups of American coffee per pressing in about a minute, and unlike a French press, it can also brew espresso style coffee for use in lattes, cappuccinos and other espresso based drinks.
- Perfect for home kitchen use, the AeroPress is lightweight, compact, portable and durable, making it also ideal for traveling, camping, backpacking, boating and more!
- Includes the AeroPress press, funnel, scoop, stirrer, 350 microfilters and a filter holder. Phthalate free and BPA free. Mug not included. Assembled measurements: 9 1/2" h X 4" w X 4" d
6. Johan & Nystrom Ground Coffee
The Johan & Nystrom Ground Coffee is a medium-roasted, full-bodied, round filter or drip coffee. It is a very well-balanced coffee with notes of nutty flavor.
The various coffee beans in this blend are Johan & Nystrom's homage to Scandinavian coffee culture. It gives the same delicious flavor you are used to but much better!
Johan & Nystrom is a specialty coffee roastery located just outside Stockholm in Sweden. The business works closely with farmers that are passionate about quality, resulting in some of the best-tasting coffees in the world that are responsibly cultivated and roasted in their own roastery.
This coffee is also considered to be of the highest quality, since it is specialty grade coffee. You can brew it as an espresso or in a Moka pot. It is already perfect on its own, but you can also add some milk.
You may also be interested in reading our Moka pot brewing guide.
7. Caffè Del Doge Rosso Coffee Beans
The Caffè Del Doge Rosso Coffee Beans have a simple composition but a rich aroma and mild acidity. It is made from 100% Arabica coffee beans sourced from Brazil, Colombia, Guatemala, and India. Each cultivar in this blend is roasted separately before being “cold-blended” in accordance with Venetian custom.
The names of the plantation or the specific farmer are connected to each of the four cultivars. The direct and exclusive importation, which ensures complete authenticity, makes it possible to trace the beans back to their original sources. This means that each cup is known for its own distinct flavor and aroma from its individual origin.
The Venetian artisan roasting company (formerly known as ExtraDoge) was founded by Sir Ermenegildo Rizzardini in 1952. It was distinguished for its production of extremely fine blends of coffee for espresso and for the delectable coffee for homemade mocha. They have locations in Venice and Sweden.
You may also be interested in reading our guide on the top 12 best European coffee brands in 2022.