You don’t need to travel to Italy for a quality cup of coffee. Read on to find out the best Italian coffee brands in the market today!
Coffee may not have originated from Italy, but it sure did have a major influence. After all, coffee innovations such as the espresso machine and the Moka pot were invented by Italians. Even the coffee terms we use for its drinks, including latte and cappuccino, are Italian.
It is a dream to visit the beautiful Italian cafés and taste their magnificent java, but making your own cup of Joe made from Italian coffee brands can be the next best thing if you can’t afford the airfare.
- What To Look For In An Italian Coffee Brand
- How To Pick The Best Italian Coffee Brands
- Best Italian Coffee Brand For First-Timers
- Best Italian Coffee Brand For Espresso Lovers
- Best Italian Coffee Brand For Those Who Like It Light
- Best Italian Coffee Brand For Those Who Like It Strong
- Testing Criteria
- Why You Can Trust Me
What To Look For In An Italian Coffee Brand
I am not the type to be picky on the specific origin, whether ground, whole bean, or the type of roast, as long as the product has these three things.
This is self-explanatory. We are looking for products based, made, and or manufactured in Italy. That means no imported products from international coffee companies will make the list.
This pertains to how the type of roast, blend, flavor, aroma, acidity, etc., works together to give you an exemplary cup of Joe or a shot of espresso.
The coffee brand you are buying should be worth it. Some on the list can be a bit pricey, and some can be questionably cheap, but if the product has value for money, it is automatically on our list.
How To Pick The Best Italian Coffee Brands
Italian coffee is known for its robust and full-bodied features, so you have to learn what your preference is. Most of the products on this list will be medium to dark roasts but don’t fret yet, as we will still include products on the lighter side.
Of course, you should always stick to your budget.
Best Italian Coffee Brand For First-Timers
You may have to pay a bit for your first time, but you won’t be looking back after you brewed yourself a cup of Illy’s Classico Coffee. The product is composed of nine Arabica varieties from around the world, giving it its immaculate aroma and exceptional taste.
When brewed, either via espresso machine or Moka pot, it brings a silky rich and full-bodied cup with its unique floral and citrus notes of jasmine and orange blending with the hints of toasty chocolate and caramel. This medium-roasted product is a bit premium, but the price is worth it for 24 servings of authentic Italian coffee.
- Classico Medium Roast: Composed of 9 of the finest Arabica coffee sources worldwide, Classico, Medium Roast is our classic roast coffee has a lingering sweetness and delicate notes of caramel, orange blossom and jasmine.
- World’s Most Ethical Coffee: illy caffè was named on Ethisphere’s list for the seventh consecutive year, among just a handful of honorees in the beverage industry, highlighting illy’s achievement of leading with integrity.
- 100% Arabica Coffee: We could offer you every roast and blend under the sun, but we’d rather give you the perfect one. We’ve spent eight decades refining a singular, signature blend of ground coffee—celebrated as the pinnacle of what coffee can be.
- Unique Pressurized Coffee Packaging: Our unique pressurized packagaing preserves the flavor and complexity of the illy blend while enhancing the coffee’s aroma and ensuring optimal freshness.
- Sip. Savor. Be Inspired: illy believes in sustainable quality and boasts more than 30 years dedicated to perfecting coffee bean growing methods to obtain a harvest that is socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable and responsible.
Best Italian Coffee Brand For Espresso Lovers
The Italian espresso options are endless, but after some internal deliberation, my pick goes to the Kimbo Espresso Napoletano.
The dark roasted coffee beans bring forth distinct smoky and spicy undertones that complement the hints of dark chocolate. This coffee has a lingering pleasant aftertaste. Interestingly, the beverage is low in acidity, which might be because it is a blend composed of 80% Arabica and 20% Robusta beans.
Personally, what made Kimbo the winner is that it brings Italian authenticity to it. The brewed product is uncanningly similar to a genuine Neapolitan coffee. It is as if you are in Naples with one sip.
Best Italian Coffee Brand For Those Who Like It Light
Is it possible to find an Italian coffee brand that is on the softer side? Thankfully, Lavazza offers a milder option with its light roast ¡Tierra! Organic Whole Beans.
Compared to its stronger counterparts, the product features more refreshing floral and citrus tones that works with its thick and creamy texture.
Keep in mind that there are three ¡Tierra! Organic Whole Beans flavors to choose from – the ¡Tierra! Bio-Organic for Planet, the ¡Tierra! Bio-Organic for Africa, and the ¡Tierra! Bio-Organic for Amazonia. The for Planet blend is what you should be looking for as the other two are medium-roasts. While these two retain the flowery and tropical fruity flavor, some might find it overpowering.
- One 2.2 lb. bag of Lavazza Organic Tierra Italian whole coffee beans
- Rich bodied Italian roast with notes of honey, malt, and chocolate
- USDA Organic, Canada Organic, UTZ & Euro Leaf Organic certified;100 percent sustainably grown
- 100 percent Premium Arabica Blended and roasted in Italy
- Best used for espresso but also suitable in any coffee maker
Best Italian Coffee Brand For Those Who Like It Strong
The Pellini No. 82 Vivace deserves a space on this list of the best Italian coffee brands.
The brand is as luxurious as it sounds. A kilogram pack will really cost you, but is it worth it? The answer is 100% yes.
Although it is composed of just 90% Arabica with the other 10% being Robusta, the dark-roasted, freshly-brewed Pellini will deliver a rich and creamy espresso shot capped with velvety crema. Not to oversell, but its taste can be compared to an orchestra – a well-conducted harmony of sweetness, toastiness, and bitterness with every shot.
You might also want to check out our guide on the best US coffee brands if you are looking for a more localized list!
- unique and exclusive blends, consisting only of quality 'prized Arabica and Robusta selected directly in the places of origin
- specific to each roasting single origin in order to bring out the flavor profile.
- technological-productive innovation to ensure a premium coffee...
- Team of qualified tasters
- Pellini, Italian Quality!
I looked at reviews, budget, taste, and origin to determine the best Italian coffee brands. I also ensured to provide options for dark, medium, and light roast fans.
Why You Can Trust Me
I had a drinking session with an Italian a few years back. Let me tell you, the coffee he brewed (it was an Illy Classico) made me turn my back to other coffee brands for a second.
If you want to get closer to the flavor of authentic Italian coffee, I recommend going for Illy’s Classico. If you have money to spare, the Pellini No. 82 Vivace is worth the price tag.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy our round-up of the best Spanish coffee brands.