Discover the best coffees for your Percolator and get some buying tips.
There is something unique about coffee freshly brewed in a percolator. It is full of flavor, bolder, thicker, and almost creamy. When I’m out camping and wake up on a cold morning, this is what I look forward to most. This is my saving grace.
Percolators are the original drip coffee maker. Though electric models are available, most percolators are designed for the stove. Coffee is brewed using hot water and steam. Since most percolators brew only 1 or 2 cups at a time, it’s kind of a less is more sort of thing. If you’re like me and prefer one fantastic cup over many cups brewed in a regular pot, then a percolator could be for you. But what kind of coffee truly makes a percolator shine?
Read on to find out.
- 1. City Girl Coffee, Organic Guatemala Medium Roast, Whole Bean, Fair Trade, Small Batch
- 2. Mt. Comfort Coffee, Organic Peru Medium Roast
- 3. Stumptown Coffee Roasters, Holler Mtn, Organic
- 4. Folly Coffee, Classic Jo, Medium Roast
- 5. Kicking Horse, Three Sisters, Medium Roast, Organic
- 6. Cooper Moon Coffee, Costa Rican Blend, Medium Roast
- 7. Mojave Coffee Co, Shade Grown Sumatra Coffee, Medium Roast, Organic
- 8. Wink Coffee, Single Origin Donut Shop
- 9. The French Press Coffee Roasters, Guatemalan Antigua Single Origin Cofee
- 10. Verena Street Decaf, Sunday Drive
Because of the way a percolator operates, choosing a coffee with the following characteristics is important.
- Full Body: This is important for flavor retention during the extraction process. This process happens when the water and steam move through the grounds. Full-bodied beans have a higher oil content, more fibers, and proteins, giving the coffee a heavier mouthfeel.
- Coarse Grind: The filters on percolators have larger holes. Fine grounds can easily pass through and are wasted.
- Medium Roast: With this brewing technique, a dark roast can be too bitter, and a light roast may be too watery.
- Whole Bean: Pre-ground beans lose more CO2, and less of the oils (flavor) end up in your cup.
- High Acidity: In the coffee world, this means more of a certain flavor, often described as complex, lively, and bright. This is a product of a perfect, natural climate for coffee plants, grown at a higher elevation with substantial rainfall and less oxygen. Arabica coffee is known to have a naturally higher acidity.
With all of these characteristics in mind, here are 10 of the best coffee bean selections to brew an epic cup of joe.
1. City Girl Coffee, Organic Guatemala Medium Roast, Whole Bean, Fair Trade, Small Batch
This is a small, women-owned business out of Duluth, Minnesota. Not only is their coffee amazing, but they give back to women in the countries where they source their beans.
- GUATEMALA MEDIUM ROAST COFFEE: Lively and bright with hints of cocoa and citrus. 12 oz. resealable bag.
- RESPONSIBLY SOURCED: Our coffee is responsibly and sustainably sourced from Brazil. We take great care to ensure that our farms and co-ops enact fair practices and pay workers fair wages.
- WOMEN OWNED & FEMALE EMPOWERING: City Girl is a women-owned business. To bring awareness and equality to the women of the coffee industry, we source from women-owned or managed farms and cooperatives around the world. Girl power at its finest!
- WE GIVE BACK: City Girl is proud to donate a portion of sales to organizations that support women in their country of origin. We also support sustainable agricultural practices that protect the environment for future generations.
- SMALL-BATCH, SINGLE FACILITY ROASTING: City Girl is located in Duluth, Minnesota. We’ve been proudly small-batch roasting our beans near the shores of Lake Superior since 1990.
2. Mt. Comfort Coffee, Organic Peru Medium Roast
Grown at a high elevation on mountain farms in Chanchamayo and Chontalli, Peru, this coffee is of single-origin and boasts nutty, chocolate, and citrus flavors.
- Premium Grade Whole Bean Coffee - The Organic Peru Medium Roast is a single-origin smooth coffee
- Luscious Flavor Note Profiles - Flavor notes Nutty, Chocolate, & Citrus make amazing coffee
- 100% Roasted Whole Beans - 12 oz resealable bag for maximum longevity, freshness, and flavor
- Internationally Sourced Beans - Grown on mountainside farms at high elevation in Peru
- Mt. Comfort Coffee - Our goal is to provide the most excellent single origin coffee to our customers
3. Stumptown Coffee Roasters, Holler Mtn, Organic
This signature blend is 100% Arabica, combining Latin American beans with East African beans for citrus, caramel, and hazelnut flavor.
- Contains one (1) 12 Ounce Bag of Stumptown Holler Mountain Organic Whole Bean Coffee
- Holler Mountain: This organic blend has been a hometown favorite since day one. It’s got the complexity to pour a great espresso yet the versatility to serve as your daily cup of drip
- Flavor: Holler Mountain delivers a burst of citrus and berry jam rounded out with notes of creamy caramel. 100% Arabica coffee
- Direct Trade: Our Direct Trade program is built on three principles: pay higher prices tied to quality; work with producers we know and maintain those relationships over many years; strive to build truly collaborative partnerships
- Brewing Methods: How you brew - from espresso to cold brew to pour over - the grinder you use, and yes, even the water from your sink, can alter the taste in the cup. Play around with the parameters to get each coffee to taste just how you like it.
4. Folly Coffee, Classic Jo, Medium Roast
Fair Trade and Single Origin from Brazil these beans were grown in the “bean belt” where coffee plants naturally thrive. Small batch beans are nitrogen flushed before packaging to remove oxygen for freshness.
- Rotating single origin (Brazil), small batch whole coffee beans, freshly roasted within 90 days in Minnesota
- Medium roast, nutty and chocolately, balanced, without bitterness
- For the traditional coffee drinker looking to up their coffee game
- Award-winning flavor and consistency through responsibly sourced, high end specialty beans and intentional roasting
- Peak freshness at your door - packed shortly after roasting, we Nitrogen flush to remove oxygen and seal each bag with a one-way valve and resealable zipper to maintain peak freshness as you enjoy!
5. Kicking Horse, Three Sisters, Medium Roast, Organic
Out of Three Sisters, Oregon, this is Fair Trade and Kosher and recommended for percolators. Sustainably sourced, shade-grown beans are from Indonesia, Central, and South America.
- MEDIUM ROAST, WHOLE BEAN: Smooth, savory, seductive. The 3 sisters are a trio of towering Canadian rocky mountains. Pay homage to these powerful peaks
- Tasting notes, brew method: Well rounded and complex with notes of sweet tobacco, stone fruit and cocoa. Recommended methods: French press, drip machine, pour over and cold brew
- Origin Indonesia, Central & South America: Grown in a socially and environmentally responsible way, by farmers with sustainable businesses they can depend on
- Organic, Fairtrade, Kosher, Shade Grown, Arabica coffee: Coffee that is good and fair for the coffee drinkers, the farmers and the planet. 100 % certified.
- Roasted in the Rocky Mountains: it’s all deep, dark and delicious, roasted right below the towering Canadian rocky mountain peaks.
6. Cooper Moon Coffee, Costa Rican Blend, Medium Roast
This coffee is prepared in small batches. Flavors are bright and smooth. With a sustainable coffee bean sourcing program, this company focuses on empowering women, climate change, and enhancing income for small farms. Climate change could mean big trouble for coffee farmers.
Coffee is depended on by over 120 million people in one way or another for economic survival. Warming temperatures mean the regions where coffee grows the best could no longer be ideal.
- PREMIUM COFFEE BLEND: Costa Rican Coffee is considered among the best in the world. Our medium roast coffee from Costa Rican is rich and delicious.
- CAFÉ QUALITY COFFEE BREWED BY YOU: Our Costa Rican blend is silky smooth and offers a nice bright wine-like profile and an eloquent finish.
- COPPER MOON COFFEE WHOLE BEAN: Copper Moon Coffee is Gluten Free, Non GMO, Allergen Free and Kosher. Our whole bean coffee is prepared in single batches and perfect for coffee lovers who prefer to grind at home for peak freshness and brew with a drip style, french press, pour over or reusable Keurig K-cup.
- REACH FOR THE MOON!! Copper Moon Coffee is a family roastery focused on a simple mission: to create evenly roasted, uniquely smooth, high grade coffee, giving you a perfectly satisfying taste that’s out of this world.
- SUSTAINABLE COFFEE SOURCING: Copper Moon Coffee has created our own globally sustainable coffee bean sourcing program. "SEE Copper Moon Rising" is an outwardly focused goal to achieve a positive social, economic, and environmental impact. We accomplish this by sourcing the best green coffee beans in high elevation and low elevation areas, as well as organic and single origin coffee beans from small family owned farms. Our goal is to empower women farmworkers, enhance income for small farms and focus on climate change adaptation and mitigation.
7. Mojave Coffee Co, Shade Grown Sumatra Coffee, Medium Roast, Organic
This single-origin coffee is grown at high altitudes and roasted in small batches. Coffee from the Gayo region of Sumatra is well known for its earthy and rich flavors. Sumatra alone produces about seventy-five percent of Indonesia’s coffee.
- SUPERB SINGLE ORIGIN COFFEE - Enjoy the wonderful aroma and flavor of premium medium roast Sumatra coffee - an organic whole bean coffee that is smooth, full-bodied, and complex with notes of cocoa, maple, spice, and berry.
- EXPLORE THE TASTE OF SUMATRA - Explore our premium coffee sourced from the Gayo Mountain region of Sumatra - the home of this organic whole bean coffee widely recognized for its natural low acidity, slight earthy tones, and smooth finish.
- SMALL BATCH FRESH ROASTED - We use the best beans that are shade-grown at high altitudes, hand-picked, roasted in small batches, and then whole bean. We preserve our small batch, fresh roasted beans in nitrogen-filled packaging with a one-way freshness valve.
- ARTISAN MASTER-ROASTED - To give you the best-tasting gourmet whole bean coffee, our team with Josef (Q grade artisan master roaster) carefully roasts, cups, and tastes to create the ideal roasting profile. We do small batch roasting to produce our coffee.
- MAKE COFFEE YOUR WAY - Our premium Sumatra whole bean coffee makes excellent drip, pour-over, cold brew, or french press coffee. Enjoy it at home, at work, or on the road - straight black, latte, espresso, or iced.
8. Wink Coffee, Single Origin Donut Shop
This is their highly popular signature medium roast. 100% Arabica Beans are fire-roasted in Texas but grown high in the mountains of the Colombian Andes. Coffee in Colombia is a part of the lifestyle.
Arabica plants grown at these elevations, close to the equator, are known for their high acidity, full-body, and sweeter flavor. This is a percolator classic.
- MEDIUM ROAST COFFEE: This lush medium roast has flavors of brown sugar and toasted hazelnuts A hint of fruitiness gives way to a dusting of nutmeg and a smooth finish.
- SUSTAINABLE MEDIUM ROAST COFFEE BEANS: Our donut shop coffee is made with 100% top-quality Arabica coffee sustainably grown high in the Colombian Andes
- FRESH: One freshly roasted large 2.2 lb bag of whole bean coffee with an airtight zipper to close after opening.
- SMALL BATCH: Fire-roasted on our 1923 Jabez Burns Roaster in the Texas Hill Country. No corners are cut with our meticulous small batch roasting process.
- ALL COFFEE BREWERS: Ideal for drip coffee machines, espresso makers, French presses, Aeropress, pour over, and moka pot
9. The French Press Coffee Roasters, Guatemalan Antigua Single Origin Cofee
A medium roast, small-batch coffee grown in nutrient-rich, volcanic soil, at high altitudes in Guatemala. Coffee from this region, Antigua, also boasts ideal growing conditions. Sitting above 4000 ft, with cooler humid temperatures and lots of rain, arabica coffee beans thrive.
Typical flavors out of this area are citrus, spice, and smoke. This brew has a clean finish, floral aroma, and a thick mouthfeel.
- ROASTING: This is a small batch medium roasted coffee by our expert roastmasters. Each of our coffees is masterfully roasted in individual batches to unlock the peak of aroma and flavor. We take our time so you can savor every sip
- TASTE: This coffee varietal has warm milk-chocolaty notes which is smooth and refined, accented with a nutty essence. The top end is pronounced with well-balanced stone fruit. The FInish is clean and simple with a thick body and feel
- ORIGIN: It comes from the high altitude and rich volcanic soil of the Guatemalan Antigua Region. Nestled between three impressive volcanoes, and with unique fertile conditions; this region is acclaimed for producing the finest coffees in the world
- AROMA: In terms of aroma, this coffee has a notable floral intensity as well as hints of citrus fruits. It has a bright acidity combined with a surprisingly full body. Roasted medium to preserve the coffee’s complex flavors and intense aroma
- 100% ARABICA COFFEE: Our coffees are made from 100% Arabica coffee beans which have twice the flavor and a better aroma than its counterpart Robusta. To enjoy the best coffee, click "Add to Cart" and order today before the stock runs out
10. Verena Street Decaf, Sunday Drive
This family-owned coffee company out of Dubuque, Iowa uses the Swiss Water Decaf process for this brew. This is a chemical-free way to remove the caffeine, using pure water, while keeping the oils, proteins, and fibers, basically the flavor, intact. This generates a full-bodied feel and a rich flavor without bitterness.
Beans are sustainably sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified Farms, which protects farmers, wildlife, and the environment.
- 2lb. medium roast whole bean (32oz.); naturally decaffeinated coffee beans; rich yet mellow flavor
- The Swiss Water decaf process gives this a full-bodied flavor and aroma without any bitterness
- Sustainably sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms to protect farmers, wildlife and environment
- Freshly roasted and packaged in Dubuque, Iowa at an independent, family owned coffee company
- Kosher certified by the Orthodox Union, the world’s most trusted and recognized kosher certification