Want to know the best coffee for pre-workout routines? This article explores what to look for and some of the best coffee selections.
Several studies have found that drinking coffee before your workout can boost your athletic performance, helping you lift more, run faster, and work out for longer before you get tired. But not every coffee provides the same level of benefit.
So while the benefits of caffeine will come through no matter what coffee you choose, there are better and worse coffees to choose to make the most out of your pre-workout caffeine buzz.
So what’s the best coffee for pre-workout? Read on to find out.
Pre-workout Coffee: The Benefits
Getting a caffeine buzz before you exercise can provide some key benefits. Scientists have studied the effects of caffeine on athletic endurance, running speed, and other factors that go with working out and have found that caffeine can help both amateur and pro athletes to step up their performance.
However, according to the studies, the best results come from moderate caffeine consumption–no need to go overboard. The consensus is that approximately 3mg of caffeine per kg of body weight is in the ideal range; the good news is you can get that with about one-two cups of coffee.
But you can get more than just a caffeine buzz from the best coffee for pre-workout if you know what to look for.
What to Look For in Pre-workout Coffee
It’s true in general that not all coffee is created equally. Some coffee beans are just better than others. However, there are some particular traits to look out for when it comes to pre-workout.
For example, right before you work out is not a good time to drink something very acidic, so for your pre-workout coffee, you’ll want something that’s light on the acidity.
It’s also a good idea to look for coffees that aren’t too heavily roasted since you want a solid caffeine boost. Dark roast coffees tend to have slightly less caffeine than their medium and light roast counterparts.
Finally, consider looking for coffee that offers something beyond just caffeine. While the scientific jury is still out on many supplements, some show promise of helping to boost your performance further, helping you increase your gains. Although, it is not a guarantee you’ll be the next Olympian, busting through a slump in your workout routine is still a good thing. If you like this post, you might be interested in our guide on the best coffee for energy.
Fuel Your Workout With These Types of Coffee
When thinking about the best types of coffee pre-workout, you need to consider the type of coffee and the beans used to make it.
There are many different ways to brew coffee, and everybody will have their favorites. However, my picks for the best types of pre-workout coffee are:
If you’re about to work out, you don’t want to start things off hot and sweaty so, hot coffee is not the best option. Drip coffee typically contains between 12 to 16 mg of caffeine per ounce
Cold-brew will have you entering the gym feeling refreshed, but it also has more caffeine than a standard cup of coffee. For example, an 8oz cup of coffee will contain around 95 grams of coffee. If you drank the same amount of cold brew, you would be consuming about 100mg.
Avoid a sugary or milky cold brew right before exercising. Otherwise, you’ll probably end up feeling ill.
Espresso might not have as much caffeine as cold brew, but it still packs a punch. Given that you should not drink your coffee or pre-workout right before you plan on exercising, you will have time to cool down from this hot drink before hitting the gym.
Many people say that drip coffee contains more caffeine than espresso and other brews. There is some logic to this claim, but it’s not the most accurate way to explain why you’ll feel more energized after a cup of drip coffee than espresso.
Ounce per ounce, espresso has more caffeine. However, espresso shots are usually only 1 ounce, while a cup of drip coffee could be 8 ounces or more. There’s around 63 mg of caffeine in an espresso shot, while drip coffee tends to contain 12 to 16 mg of caffeine per ounce.
The Best Coffee For Pre-workout: My Picks
My picks for the best coffee for pre-workout are based on getting the right level of caffeine to boost performance, making sure the coffee isn’t too acidic. I also like to consider any other performance-boosting aspects that might also come into play. With that in mind, I prefer the following brews:
Four Sigmatic Mushroom Ground Coffee
Typically, I don’t recommend pre-ground coffee, but the Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee blend is an exception. Despite the lion’s mane mushrooms in the coffee, it doesn’t have any funk–just regular coffee flavor. It’s not as caffeinated as some other coffees, being a 50/50 split of mushrooms and coffee, but the lion’s mane adds something to the mix.
Some studies show that this mushroom can help improve mood and focus and have potential anti-inflammatory effects that make it easier to work out for longer.
- [Brews Smooth, Dark, and Remarkably Crash-Free] Each brew creates a delicious cup of full-bodied, flavorful coffee without the bitter aftertaste. But that's where the ordinary ends. That coffee beverage is infused with some of the world's most nutrient-dense ingredients, creating an astoundingly effective combination of immunity-increasing, attention-amplifying superfoods.
- [Why Would We Ever Combine Mushrooms with Coffee?] We love coffee, but it has its downsides. We took 250mg of organic Lion’s Mane (per serving), a functional, nootropic mushroom, which has been used around the world for centuries for increased focus and creativity, and combined it with our delectable, organic fair trade coffee. This unparalleled pairing means no jitters, and hours of crash-free FOCUS.
- [Rise and Really, Truly Shine] Each cup contains 250mg of wild-harvested, organic Chaga. Known as "The King of Mushrooms," Chaga got its title from its incredible immune-supporting effects. Chaga is absolutely loaded with antioxidants. In fact, it is one of the most antioxidant-dense foods on the entire planet!
- [Remarkably Elevated Coffee] Grown in the Marcala, La Paz region of Honduras, at 5,500 feet above sea level, these specialty-grade, single origin coffee beans brew a delicious, low acid coffee.
- [Scientifically Speaking, This Coffee is Pretty Much Magic] Functional mushrooms have been used around the world for centuries to improve productivity, immune support, and more. Unfortunately, the majority of the mushroom supplement market aren't mushrooms at all, but rather the mycelium (basically the root system). At Four Sigmatic, we bring only the best of nature to your daily routine, so we always use the mushrooms' fruiting bodies which contain 15x more active ingredients than the mycelium!
Coffee and Kilos PR Blend
It’s rare to find coffee that specifically markets itself as the perfect pre-workout option, but Coffee and Kilos’ PR Blend does just that. The organic, fair-trade coffee features 50% more caffeine than the average brew, sourced from South American beans.
The flavor is excellent, too: mild acidity with light sweetness and a nutty taste that works well with protein powder or shakes to make an all-purpose pre-workout drink.
- 50% more caffeine than other coffee
- All natural (it's just coffee!)
- Smooth, light roast
- Hand blended, roasted, and packed in California