What’s the best coffee for morning drinkers? This article explores that topic and delves deep into what makes a good cup of morning Joe.
For many, the first cup of coffee of the day is a sacred thing. Some people get their morning coffee going even before they take a shower–and some coffee lovers are so dedicated to the brew that they make sure to set up their first cup before they go to bed. But some coffees lend themselves more to mornings than others, and there are a few criteria to consider when selecting the best coffee for morning drinking.
So what makes the perfect cup of coffee to get you going in the morning? Let’s dive into the topic.
Types of Coffee Drinks For Morning
No one set way of drinking coffee is ideal for the morning; individual tastes vary too much. In Italy, the belief is that the morning is the only time to drink cappuccino and that after lunch, the only acceptable options are espresso, macchiato, and americanos.
The classic American cup of Joe is a cultural institution, and in France, the café au lait reigns supreme. The best coffee for morning drinking will depend on what style of coffee drink you tend to prefer in the morning.
For the sake of keeping things simple, I’m sticking to morning coffee in the most basic terms: automatic drip, pour-over, and other non-espresso brewing methods. However, there are a few things to look for when you’re considering the best coffee options for morning drinking with these methods, which are a little different from the considerations of what makes a great espresso drink.
Morning Bellies Are Sensitive Bellies
After hours of not eating, most people’s stomachs aren’t ready for a total onslaught of complicated food and drink. Many people don’t even have the appetite for a real breakfast first thing in the morning.
So one factor to consider when choosing your morning coffee is how sensitive your stomach is when you’ll be drinking it. In general, the best coffee for morning drinking is a light or medium roast, with low acidity, for a few reasons.
Light and medium roasts tend to have a higher caffeine content (even if the difference is only slight) than dark roasts. Why? Because the roasting process evaporates and burns off the volatile components in coffee, and caffeine is water-soluble. So if you want to get the biggest caffeine buzz from your morning coffee, you’ll do better choosing lighter roasts for their higher caffeine content.
Low acidity is a factor to consider in your morning coffee as well. Early in the morning, your stomach is not likely to be ready for an onslaught of acid–you haven’t eaten for hours, and everything is just waking up and getting going.
Most low-acid coffee blends tend to be darker roasts, but it’s possible to find low acid medium roasts and even light roasts. You just have to choose particular regions.
Best Coffees To Drink In The Morning
When it comes to morning coffee, many possibilities match the ideal: low acidity and high caffeine content. Of course, some particular brewing methods can also help even things out a bit; cold brew tends to produce coffee that naturally has lower acidity, which is easier on the stomach. But whatever your brewing method, there are some standout coffees to consider.
1. Starbucks Breakfast Blend
The Seattle-based coffee company gave this blend of Latin American coffee beans its name for a reason. The medium roast balances the acidity that tends to come with Latin American beans, and the light flavor and clean finish make for a morning cup of coffee that satisfies and perks you up. Flavor notes of sweet orange and brown sugar pair beautifully with most breakfast foods as an added bonus.
- PREMIUM WHOLE BEAN COFFEE—Starbucks delivers exceptional coffee cup after cup with this 18-ounce bag of Breakfast Blend medium roast whole bean coffee
- STARBUCKS BREAKFAST BLEND COFFEE—Notes of brown sugar and sweet orange mingle in our lightest medium roast coffee
- FRESH TASTE—Starbucks adheres to the highest quality standards—shipping you the same carefully roasted 100% arabica coffee beans we brew in our cafés
- MAKE IT YOUR OWN—An everyday cup no matter how you brew it, Starbucks whole bean coffee can be ground and used for a variety of brewing methods, including drip brewer, coffee press, pour-over and moka pot
- SUBSCRIBE & SAVE—Add the convenience of automatic delivery and save up to 15% off your favorite Starbucks coffee while never missing a cup
2. Green Mountain Coffee Nantucket Blend
Often in the morning, you don’t want a cup of coffee that’s too demanding, heavy, or nuanced. Green Mountain Coffee’s Nantucket Blend brews up balanced and surprisingly mild, with toasty flavors and hints of sweetness. It’s a solid choice for those who take their coffee black and those who like a little coffee with their milk and sugar: utility coffee, with a smooth finish.
- Smooth and balanced, with toasty flavors and a sweet brown sugar finish.
- Medium roast, caffeinated coffee
- Certified Orthodox Union Kosher (U)
- 100% Arabica coffee
3. Death Wish Dark Roast
If your goal for morning coffee is to get as much caffeine in your system as fast as possible, Death Wish is the coffee for you. The dark roast is closer to what most roasters would associate with a medium roast level, meaning the coffee is smoother in flavor and easier on the stomach. It’s also certified as having the highest caffeine content available on the commercial market, so you’ll start your day off with a strong coffee buzz.
- WORLD’S STRONGEST COFFEE: Our whole coffee beans will transform your basic cup of joe into a delicious, bold, and intense beverage that will revolutionize your morning.
- QUALITY BREW: Hands down, the best whole coffee beans in the world. One sip of our best-selling coffee will have you saying goodbye to store-bought forever. Enjoy the highest quality energy and artisanal flavor with every sip of Death Wish Coffee.
- BOLD FLAVOR: Immerse yourself in a smooth, subtle, never bitter cherry and chocolate flavor profile. We've carefully selected premium Arabica and Robusta whole coffee beans from around the world to deliver you a dark roast coffee beverage with a bold taste you’ll instantly fall in love with.
- FAIR AND ORGANIC: Every 16 oz. bag of Death Wish Coffee is filled to the top with whole Coffee beans that are Fair Trade and USDA Certified Organic, giving you a natural caffeine boost you can be proud to support.
- TRY IT RISK-FREE: Death Wish Coffee comes highly rated by thousands of satisfied customers who can't get enough of our whole coffee beans. But we'll let you be the judge. If you don't fall in love with our coffee, we'll refund your order, no questions asked.