My mission was to find the best coffee for French press coffee maker, and I discovered a wide, rich, and varying range of blends from around the world.
Using a French press coffee maker is pretty simple: grind the coffee, add boiled water, press down the plunger. I have carried out this operation a great many times. I never gave much thought to the most important part of this evolution. That is the coffee.
Not all coffee is suitable for a French press. If you use a French press, then you are probably someone who likes to taste its coffee. To enjoy this experience whenever you brew, you should buy whole bean coffee and avoid the pre-ground stuff.
I am a long-time coffee drinker—a veteran, you might say—and I have identified the best coffee for those who like the freshly ground brew you get from a French press.
The Best Coffee For French Press Coffee Maker
I started my quest for the best coffee for use in a French press when I noticed differences in taste in the various beans I purchased. My methodology was simple. I wrote a list of the coffee brands that each specialty shop I went to had in common. You might also be interested in reading about how much coffee is in a French press.
I sampled them all. These six brands made the cut:
1. Lifeboost Coffee Medium Roast
These beans are grown in the mountains of Nicaragua. They are free of pesticides and chemicals. They are hand-selected for purity, hand-washed, sun-dried, and cooked to a balanced medium.
Lifeboost has a smooth taste and a pleasant aroma of chocolate and nuts. It also has low acidity.
- Delicious, Ethically Sourced Coffee: You've tried the rest, now buy the best ground coffee on the market; This Non-Gmo organic low acid coffee is high in flavor; The beans are sun dried, and spring water washed; The result is pure, natural coffee derived straight from nature
- Grown In The Mountains Of Central America: Lifeboost Single Origin Acid Free Coffee is shade grown at a high elevation in the mountains of Central America; The exclusive farms that we work with are all bird friendly and each coffee bean is hand selected to ensure purity
- Low Acid Medium Roast Ground Coffee: Your standard cup of coffee is very acidic; That's why some feel stomach discomfort or deal with teeth issues from drinking coffee; The solution is our low acid coffee beans; The antioxidant rich organic coffee delivers all the wonderful benefits of coffee without the unwanted side effects
- Certified Organic & 3rd Party Tested: Lifeboost Organic Coffee Ground Beans are Usda Certified Organic, and 3rd Party Tested for mycotoxins, heavy metals, pesticides, and 400 other toxins; One sip of this organic ground coffee and you'll have a hard time going back to an ordinary cup of joe
- Love It Or You Don't Owe Us A Dime: Nothing makes us happier than hearing how much our customers love our award winning coffee; We're confident you'll be another that agrees that we have the best coffee beans; Try a bag out for 30 days, and if you don't love this coffee (we doubt it), we'll give you your money back
2. Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend
This blend is a darker roast. The company that makes it has an efficient online service that roasts and ships orders the same day. Your coffee beans are guaranteed to be fresh when they arrive.
- Contains one (1) Box of 75 Peet's Major Dickason's Blend Dark Roast Coffee Keurig K-Cup Pods - 100% Arabica Coffee. Packaging may vary for a limited time.
- Flavor and Roast: Dark Roast. Flavorful, robust, full-bodied. Developed by Mr. Peet and his most discerning customer, Major Dickason’s Blend epitomizes the rich, flavorful taste of Peet’s
- Brewing Methods: Peet's single serve, K-Cup Pods are compatible with all Keurig K-Cup Brewers
- Recyclable: Peet’s K-Cup Pods are fully recyclable - peel, compost or dispose grounds & recycle. Check locally, not recycled in all communities.
- Sourcing with Impact: The coffee you buy can impact the welfare of the people and planet. Peet’s is actively engaged in driving positive impact in communities where our coffees are grown.
The blend has a rich flavor, a full-body, and a spicy after-taste.
3. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Volcanica Coffee
Coffee was first cultivated in Ethiopia, and it is still the home of some of the finest and most delicious beans. Ethiopian coffee tends to be fruity. The taste of blueberry is prominent in their coffee.
This particular brand of coffee is unique in that the bulk of each crop comes from wild coffee trees, which gives it a mixed fruit and floral taste. Strawberry, dark chocolate, and lavender are some of the aromas and flavors this blend gives.
- 100% Pure Ethiopian Coffee Beans - Yirgacheffe, Medium-bodied and brilliantly acidy with rough, fruity or winy tones. Thick body and an earthy aroma coupled with lemon, blueberry and blackberry notes.
- Organically grown, Medium/Light Roast whole beans allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a remarkable taste.
- Fresh roasted then immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed.
4. Coffee Bros. Costa Rica
This coffee is really good and special. It is a kind of microdot coffee, can be traced back to an individual producer. The farm that grows this coffee is located in Costa Rica’s Central Valley, a place that produces some of the world's best coffee.
I traced the coffee back to a family farm—father and son—who have been in the business and refining their methods for decades. They roast the coffee to a medium shade. The beans themselves have the taste of cocoa and toffee, with bright lemon acidity.
5. Stone Street Colombian Supremo
This coffee hails from another one of the world’s great coffee-growing regions. It is single-origin Arabica coffee that is full-bodied and delicious.
- CRAFTED FOR COLD BREWING – Our cold brew coffee blend uses fresh gourmet arabica coffee beans from Colombia. You can coarse grind them right before brewing for the freshest flavor. Perfect for using in your at-home cold brew coffee maker or system, French press, pitcher, or mason jar.
- DARK ROAST COLOMBIAN SUPREMO – Our beans are classified as ‘supremo’ which are the largest and highest quality beans from Colombia. When these beans are dark roasted, it brings out the nutty/chocolate notes and makes the most delicious tasting cold brew coffee.
- STRONG & SMOOTH BLEND – Our coffee is specially formulated to make a bold, balanced, low-acid, slightly sweet cold brew or iced coffee. You can easily adjust the strength to make it extra strong (more coffee or longer brewing time) or even lighter (more water).
- 1 LB RESEALABLE BAG (16 Ounce) – Our 3-layer natural kraft bag is foil-lined and has a one-way valve for optimal coffee freshness. The wide top opening makes for easy scooping and the seal keeps your one pound of coffee fresh. Our premium packaging makes the perfect gift for the special coffee lover in your life.
- FRESHLY ROASTED IN BROOKLYN, NYC – Stone Street Coffee Company is specialty small-batch roaster, we’ve been making artisanal coffee since 2009.
Colombian Supremo has a sweet, smooth, well-balanced flavor when put through a French press. Fruit, chocolate, and caramel are the dominant flavors in it.
6. French Roast Sumatran, Sleepy Monk Coffee
French roast beans are perfect for a French press. However, this particular blend of coffee stands on its own merits. It has less acid and caffeine than lighter roasts, giving it a clean and subtle feel.
The way that this particular coffee is processed gives the beans an earthy flavor. The brew is dark, and it has a toasty aroma.
It is the kind of coffee that is nice to have with a big breakfast, especially one that includes ham or bacon. I have tried it and had a delicious morning meal as a result.
Want more? Read our guide to the best grinder for a french press.