In my quest to find the best coffee for low acidity, I have identified 5 brands that are distinguished by their taste, balance, sourcing, and nutrition.
I cannot do without at least one cup of coffee a day. But occasionally, I’ll have two cups.
Much like bitter coffee, acidity is irritation and inconvenience to coffee lovers. Though I love my daily brew, my digestive system doesn’t.
I have a sensitive stomach, and coffee that is too high in acidity upsets it. High acid coffee can also lead to heartburn, acid reflux, and tooth decay. The following guide contains the top low acid coffees on the market.
Best Coffee For Low Acidity
Acidity ranges from the extremely acidic 0 to the very low acidic 14. In my research, I discovered that most coffees have a pH of around 5 (a finding that surprised me!). This is lower than orange or cranberry juice, but it is still high for people with sensitive stomachs.
In my search for this type of coffee, I scanned the Internet for brands that offered a low acid option. Here are the top 5 coffees (you can use some to make coffee less acidic)
1. Volcanica Low Acid Coffee Blend
Volcanica is one of the best online coffee companies, and it offers some of the finest gourmet coffee blends on the market. Their coffee comes from the best coffee-growing regions in the world.
- pH Level: 5.2-5.3 which is less acid than most other coffees.
- pH Level: 5.2-5.3 which is less acid than most other coffees.
- Flavor Notes: Chocolate, Nuts, and Tangerine. Processing: Washed.
- Our Low Acid Half Coffee is a blend of natural low acidic coffees that include beans from Brazil, Sumatra and other Arabica coffees grown at lower altitudes for a great taste that is easy on the tummy.
- Medium roasted allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a remarkable taste.
This particular blend is made from beans that are naturally low in acidity. It is sourced from lower altitude countries like Brazil and Sumatra, in which some of the best Arabica coffee is grown. It is a low-key blend that will be gentle on your stomach.
2. Puroast Organic House Blend
Puroast is known for making coffee that is rich, smooth, and savory. They roast their coffee beans over a wood fire, which results in dark, bold, and 70% lower in acidity than its competitors. The blend is also filled with antioxidants.
- 70% LESS ACID: Puroast low acid coffee is perfect for every coffee lover, especially those with heartburn, acid reflux and other gastrointestinal issues. However you prefer your coffee, Puroast offers a wide variety of single serve, whole bean and ground coffee selection
- 7X HIGHER ANTIOXIDANTS: It turns out there is a connection between antioxidant levels and how coffee is heated during roasting. Published research from UC Davis shows that Puroast coffee has 7X the antioxidants of green tea and 5X the antioxidants of leading coffee brands
- PURE TO THE POUR: From our humble origins in the foothills of the Andes Mountains, Puroast's secret to crafting smooth, rich coffee is rooted in roasting the way that coffee growers do. We roast for quality, not volume, and never use any additives or extractions
- FEEL BETTER, NEVER BITTER: Take on the daily grind with a smooth, aromatic cup of coffee that tastes great and makes you feel good! Our unique roasting method creates a low-acid blend that won't bother your stomach and has no bitter aftertaste. We also use renewable, clean technology to fire our roasters
- QUALITY IN EVERY CUP: Not all coffee is created equal. Our high elevation grown coffee beans are sustainably sourced, kosher and chemical/pesticide free, so you can feel great about what you're drinking while gaining relief from coffee-related digestive issues
Puroast has taken the fight against high acid coffee to a new level. They maintain a team of research scientists to figure out how to increase the pH of their brew. If you have heartburn, acid reflux, or ulcers, then this is the coffee for you.
3. Java Planet Organic Medium Dark Roast
Most low acid coffees come as dark roasts. This coffee blend is a little lighter and less bitter.
The other great thing about this coffee is that it includes the date of roasting on each bag. That way, you know the freshness of the product.
Java Planet uses Arabica beans from Guatemala. The beans are shade-grown and are untainted by pesticides. This is a flavorful roast with floral undertones, chocolate hints, and caramel and pecan.
- Great Tasting Low Acid Coffee! Our single-origin coffee has the full-body Colombia is known for with beautiful fruit tones. This coffee is our best selling coffee adored by our customers seeking low acid and great flavor.
- Peace of Mind! In addition to being certified Organic, our Colombian is also Rainforest Alliance Certified. This safeguards fair pricing, workers' rights, protects wildlife and the environment.
- No Pesticides! We use only 100% organic certified arabica coffee whole beans, grown without chemicals or GMOs. In drinking our coffee you will only absorb beneficial antioxidants naturally found in coffee grown at high altitudes.
- Whole Bean is Better! We only package whole bean coffee for the best flavor and so you may grind your coffee for any brewer - regular drip, pour over, French press, espresso etc...
- Family Owned and Operated! We want you to be happy! If you are not satisfied with your coffee please contact us so we can make it right!
4. Mommee Coffee Half Caff Organic Coffee
This is one of the few low acidic coffees specifically designed with women in various stages of child-bearing in mind. Women who want to conceive, are currently pregnant, or have had a baby and are breastfeeding are advised to limit their caffeine intake. Mommee Coffee caters to this segment of the mommy market.
- Stay in control of what you put in your body without giving up your cherished morning cup! Half Caf Whole Bean Coffee is naturally decaffeinated, which mans you get full flavor without the guilt! Mommee Coffee uses 100% Organic Arabica beans in its coffee, delivering a smooth, creamy flavor with butterscotch and toffee notes. The sweet buttered caramel aroma will make your mouth water. The sweet, long aftertaste will extend your enjoyment of each sip. Great for both hot and cold brewing!
- Less Chlorogenic Acid for a Better Cup - Chlorogenic Acid is the culprit behind upset stomach, acid reflux, hearburn, GERD, and bitterness in coffee. Contrary to popular belief, pH level has little to do with upper GI problems associated with drinking coffee. Mommee Coffee uses proprietary convection roasters that eliminate harmful levels of Chlorogenic Acid. This produces coffee that is 100 times lower in chlorogenic acid, and gives you a 5-fold increase in benefits compared to popular brands.
- Just One Delicious Ingredient - Mommee Coffee contains only 100% Organic non-GMO coffee beans. No added sugars or preservatives and naturally Gluten Free. The decaffeination process uses only water, instead of the standard chemical method employed by competitors. So, all you're putting into your body is exactly what you want and nothing more--delicious, tasty coffee! For pregnant women and other sensitive stomachs, you can indulge in your morning cup without burning regret the rest of the day.
- Only 50mg Caffeine Per 12oz Cup - The Half Caff beans gives you exactly that--half the amount of caffeine you'd get in a cup of Mommee Coffee's full strength coffee. Perfect for those days where you need a bit of pick me up to get through the day, but aren't quite dragging. The American Congress of OBGYNs currently says that up to 200 mg of caffeine (1 - 2 cups of fully caffeinated coffee, on average) a day does not have a major impact on likelihood of miscarriage or preterm birth.
- Resealable Pouch - Mommee Coffee comes packaged in 11 oz quantities. A heavy duty oxygen barrier resealable pouch with a valve keeps your new favorite grinds fresh from the first cup to the last. To maintain quality, store your coffee in a cool, dark place away from the stove or windows. Avoid the refrigerator or freezer, as the air inside the coffee bag may condensate and create moisture. Pre-ground coffee is a medium grind, making it perfect for drip machines and single serving reusable cups.
It is processed in a way that excludes harsh chemicals. The beans have been tested, and they have acid levels that are five times lower than most other coffees. They are especially low in chlorogenic acid, which causes acid reflux.
5. Tieman’s Fusion Coffee
This is a unique blend. I do not use the phrase lightly. It incorporates Matcha Green Tea, Rooibos Red Tea, and Goji berry powders. The green tea is an energy booster, the red tea settles the stomach, and the berry powders are anti-inflammatory.
- Low acid, ultra smooth flavor, stomach settling benefits, with an average ph range of 5.85%
- 100% premium Arabica coffee naturally fused with Matcha Green Tea for 5-7 hour sustained energy, no jitters; Rooibos Red Tea for stomach settling benefits, and Goji Berry powders with anti-inflammatory benefits
- We use only 100% Arabica premium coffee from Central and South America
- 5-times the body's daily requirement for anti-oxidant protection
- 10 ounce bag of whole bean dark roast coffee making approximately 40-8 oz cups of coffee
The coffee beans are Arabica sourced from Guatemala, Ecuador, and Colombia. They are blended and roasted to produce a low acid brew.
Taken all together, this coffee offers five times the recommended requirement for antioxidant protection.